Need a PC build

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Okuri Ookami, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    I know there are a lot of guides out there and this might not be the most appropriate site but I want some builds from respectable people, I can get feed back from... to hopefully dumb it down for me.

Right now I'm working a flexible job to take care of 2 children under 7, not mine (for max of 9 hrs a day) while my job is added on top of that :blobsalt:. I don't have time to research all of these things, hell I barely read 20 to 30 chapters a day now :cry: but I'm in desperate need of a computer as this one looks to be biting the dust. Can't really afford to invest in a temperary replacement either.... hence wanting something I can switch parts out for.

I'm looking for a modular desktop PC around $400 to $600 range, a middle ground would be great. I'll be steadily investing into the system but not all at one time just need something a little more than basic.

I'm most familiar with Windows 10 and don't know anything about Mac or Linux. I don't like anything related to apple anyway so Mac would have been a no go regardless (its just preference).

I don't know the first thing between Liquid cooled or other wise. So even asking me if I want it... I can only say I'm willing to learn how to use it.

I need this for a multi role purpose. I plan to do my work from home, play video games, stream, listen to music.... basically I need a well rounded build.

I will be running a variety of software on the device they might all have to be running at the same time but no more than 2 to 4 at any given time

I'd prefer Mechanical keyboards with 104 keys that have the same feeling of those computers from the 90's my infant to toddler years. They had those good springs that sprang right back with a clicking sound that just felt right. I heard that blue switches were what I was looking for but they were the choice for gaming and not typing. I don't know the difference between all these different switches but I heard an O ring can get rid of the noise

Glad you asked

I wont have a large amount of time for games but I plan to stick to 3 or 4 basic games for now, one being a long ways off

Recently, cause I heard Project Nova is set to release this year, (An FPS set to set in the EVE universe, eventually) I've gotten into EVE Online to relieve that Dust 514 (the predecessor to P.N that was connected to EVE) itch I've had the last few months.

I've also started Warframe (sadly my laptop is old and doesn't have much Memory or Ram so low frames)

(heard you vet players are leaving, help a young soldier out and pass on your great achievments ;) *blatant handholding request. :oops: #whowantsmeastheirsugachild? :aww: #plzadopt :cookie:#illbeursugabear :blobspy:#intrustyourinheritencetome I mean #illacceptyourwill :blobangel:)

Lastly if I like it Battlefield V (I'm a modern series BF fan just work on BC:BF 3 already DICE!)

Apologies this is a long post, but I wanted to be able to have an adult conversation for the first time in awhile. Talking to under 7 year olds everyday... I feel like my mental age is regressing. I need to vent dirty humor! :blob_coughblood::blobdead: i haven't told a dirty joke in 2 weeks!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Wujigege likes this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dirty humour eh.

Just open up Battlefield V system requirement and build around that.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  3. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not so tech savvy anymore I'm almost 3 to 4 yrs behind in knowledge plus BFV isn't out yet right? Well the final version.

4. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    What you do is, buy a ski mask. Then open the windows at a local electronics store with your fists or a hammer. Then proceed to leisurely hand pick the parts you want. After you are done, leave a note saying sorry.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Best of luck to you. I might be wrong but maybe @Jeebus can help.
    I would think someone like anonymouse but I don't think he has been online for a year

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  6. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Thought about it...

Bad Storm and Disgusting like this.
  7. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    $400 - $600 inst a great budget if u wana play warframe or BFV. I would wait until you can spend $800. If you plan to stedily spend more on it, you will be wasting a lot of money by upgrading parts instead of saving up and buying them all at once.

8. EROgeX

EROgeX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okuri Ookami likes this.
  9. Lucresia

Lucresia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can get windows 10 for free, it'll have water mark on the lower right corner if that doesn't bother you.
    Go to pcpartpicker.com and there will be free prebuild blue print you can look at. You can choose part to see if they are compatible.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  10. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I
    I mean I got Warframe to work on a 2 gb memory low spec laptop that's 3 to 5 yrs old so I think a modern computer wouldn't be to hopeless

2 recommendations I'll check it out thank you

11. neogamer

neogamer Cute is justice!「Maxwell 」

Reading List:
    Link

Under the assumption you starting from complete scratch with no case, psu, or monitor. Second video is about how it was an issue he was having because of windows 1803.

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  12. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    I
    Was looking to maybe use my TV as a monitor so maybe that'll cheapen the price? I'll check out the vids thanks

13. Wyrede

Wyrede Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to stick with Windows unfortunately, since I don't think BF5 will run on linux anytime soon.
    the biggest price tag will come from CPU and GPU. If your main focus is on gaming and reading novels, then CPU won't be much of a problem, cores don't really matter, only the frequency matters

for cooling, stock CPU cooler is fine, you don't need cooler unless u plan to overclock or running a server

for RAM definitely 8GB, not lower than this

for GPU, from your current budget, on Nvidia you can get 1050ti, as most build around this price range usually use this as GPU (there should be also ATi equivalent, but I'm not familiar with ATi)

hard disk you can use SSD, if you don't buy GPU now, never miss out on HDD though, 1TB HDD and 128 SSD (OS only) or 256 GB (OS + games) is enough

in the end, it depends, if you are planning to buy part by part, you can skip GPU now, and buy later. if you plan to do this, ensure your PSU has the 8 pin cable for PCIe, and your case has enough room for the GPU. if you plan to buy GPU now, you should next grab SSD and move your OS and games to SSD

don't use TV though, you usually stuck with flickering and occasional tearing images. tried that once on 29" TV using HDMI cable (can't remember brand) , my GPU is 1060

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  14. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The way your sentence was written...

I expected it to end with '-desu~'.

Bad Storm likes this.
  15. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    860 EVO 500GB is $119 right now
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ung_860_evo_series_2.5-_-20-147-674-_-Product

Okuri Ookami and Wyrede like this.
  16. Wyrede

Wyrede Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Okuri Ookami

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah u think I can do that with the help of that earlier provided link pcpartpucker

I'm missing something but I'm to tired to digfig it out... But I'm no week at least not since 3 yrs ago

18. Wyrede

Wyrede Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pcpartpicker is good enough, as far as I know, it has good collection of PC parts for you to simulate the build you need. you can also see and compare other ppl's builds to suit your need, the site will let you know if the parts you pick is suitable or not.

just be careful with motherboard, it can limit what part you can upgrade into.

for example, the latest intel CPU (CoffeeLake (8xxx) seriesI believe) can run only in motherboard with 3xx series chipset, and still has same socket as Skylake (7xxx) series

this is old video, but still relevant in case of compatibility

Okuri Ookami likes this.
  19. neogamer

neogamer Cute is justice!「Maxwell 」

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought ATI was bought out by AMD and became their Radeon division.

Now why would you say that -desu?

20. Wyrede

Wyrede Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yep, it happened quite some time (2006 according to wiki)I learn to build my own PC since 2007 that time still AMD Vs Intel and ATi Vs Nvidia, soooooo the name stuck?