Recruitment Need Rewriting Editor (PAID)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by booho, Dec 1, 2021.

1. ddadain

ddadain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh dude… I was curious of how you define “re-write”, but just from the first few sentences, it’s a bit too much for my taste.

One, your edited version definitely butchered the original author’s style with the willy-nilly splicing things here and there, then miraculously adding stuff not included in the original text… haiz. This isn’t an editing job, but a straight up re-write… if that’s the case, why leave it half baked and just go full-on paraphrase?

Two, don’t try to dress up a “webnovel” as a traditional book. The effort required to do so doesn’t commensurate to any significant gain. Since you’re only half-baking the rewrite, you’re left with an inferior book structure rather than a good novel. Webnovels are formatted that way for ease of reading, while traditional books are more compressed because of the need to save space for printing considerations… trying to dress the former up into the latter is a disservice.

Three, your “unedited” TL was already quite good and only needed a few minor adjustments: insertion of ‘ ‘ (single quotations for inner dialogue), fixing up some stray punctuations and some formatting issues, etc., but definitely didn’t warrant having such a heavy-handed “editing”… haiz. As I said before, it’s quite literally a hack job… a slap on the face of both the original author and the TL for their already marvellous work!

I don’t know about you, but I always veer away from this kind of “editing gigs” because you’d never see such a thing happening in a professional setting anyways. Either the job entails a full rewrite from the ground up, or it is just an editing job. The only time I’d ever “edit” so heavy-handedly or literally insert new prose is if I assess that the original writer flubbed big time, like mistaking factual stuff or failing in explaining news ideas/context, which a real editor would do for a writer, but in that case, the book would have still been unpublished -_-

Really… such an output for a translated work would definitely be rejected immediately in a professional setting because you’re very likely to offend the original writer and/or the TL.

Well, this is just my two (or more) cents.

Pluuto likes this.
  2. Pluuto

Pluuto Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi! I'm interested in the editor position. My discord ID is Pluto#6423

3. yuki_shuichi

yuki_shuichi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hello, are you still looking for editors? thank you yuki_shuichi#4276

4. idlemousse

idlemousse Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi,

I have over 2 years experience editing and am pretty fluent in the type of editing/rewriting you need. My discord is: idlemousse#8180

Thanks!

5. zulu_ref

zulu_ref Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello , are you still looking for editors? I'm interested.
    My discord ID is -Maria~san#1287

6. chrshstrlla

chrshstrlla Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm interested in being a Chinese translator. I can make 5-10 chapters per day. I'm fluent in English and I'm working as a translator for a year already. I can also proofread

7. Magret O

Magret O Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am interested
    My discord username ❤️min ho0790