Misc Need some minor help

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Noche, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I have been revamping a story I wrote back in sixth grade because why not? However, I think I need to delete some stuff. I think I made too many overpowered races. Should I keep them or should I delete them? What modifications should I do? By the way inherent here mean that its exclusive to the race, but not everybody in that race has it. Unless its beastification, dragonification, mermification, demonification thats inherent to everyone in that race. Still working on the power scale.

Vampires
    • Vampirism (Inherent): The ability to siphon the blood from corpses, accelerating natural regeneration and absorption of a fraction of the corpse's blood essence.
    • Blood Magic (Inherent): The ability to manipulate blood at will, change its shape and properties.

Elves

• Nature magic (Inherent): The ability to manipulate flora at will, change its size and properties. Allows for the communication and control of beasts.

Dragonfolk

• Dragonification (Inherent): The ability to change to a complete or partial dragon. Power increase by ×2.
    • Gravity Magic (Inherent): The ability to manipulate gravity at will, change its shape and properties.
    Dwarves

• Transmutation magic (Inherent): The ability to alter objects and their properties at will.

Beastfolk: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Fox, Snake, Horse, Goat, Cat, Dog, Lion, Wolf, Bear, Monkey

• Beastification (Inherent): The ability to change to complete or partial beast. Power increase by ×2. (Think of a werewolf.)
    • Spirit magic magic (Inherent): The ability to channel a elemental or beast spirit. (Think of Naruto covered in Kuramas chakra)

Demon

• Demonification (Inherent): The ability to change to a complete or partial demon. Power increase by ×2. (Think of berserk hollow Ichigo)
    • Curse magic (Inherent): The ability to manipulate curses and their properties at will. (Think of status ailments)

Human

• Mind magic (Inherent): The ability manipulate psionic forces, change its shape and properties.

Seafolk

• Mermification (Inherent): The ability to change to a complete or partial merfolk. Power increase by ×2
    • Sound magic (Inherent): The ability to manipulate sound at will, change its shape and properties.

Fairies

• Flight (Inherent): Flight through wings
    • Size magic (Inherent): Change the size of oneself and others. Power increase by ×2. (Think of Ant Man)

Valkyries

• Flight (Inherent): Flight through wings.
    • Necromancy (Inherent): The ability to modify corpses, reanimate, command them at will. Able to give original sentience back to the corpse.
    • Berserk mode: The ability to fight without rational restraints and completely immerse in battle. The longer the immersion the more increase in power and damage to the body.

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nerf dragons with berserking (lose mind when transforming unless if they master it)
    why only corpses for vampires? fresh blood is better ain't it?
    give elves faster reflexes
    wow, humans are shit.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  3. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you dont want to nerf one group,
    Just buff the other group

AMissingLinguist, wonderer and Suijin like this.
  4. Pacekot

Pacekot [Spades] [Blackjack #10]

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like fairies is the weakest, or not ?

5. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    sounds like overwatch

6. IAmGodSlayer

IAmGodSlayer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gravity magic feels a bit weird for dragons. I would expect something like time magic or wind magic.

7. static7s

static7s [Lightning Origin Slime][Void Prince][Zappy Doom]

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans should very rarely get one(or more :blobowoevil_horns:) of those species-inherent traits. Just so they aren't all super-squishy baby making machines.

8. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Extremely powerful races (e.g. Dragons, Vampires, even, to a point, Elves) are usually "balanced" in the sense that they lean towards particular strengths and lack the sheer adaptability of "lesser" races, and they tend to be much fewer in number.

Dragons, for example, are usually extremely overpowered AS ALL FUCKING HELL. To the point of being some of the strongest and most mystical beings in a world. This is counterbalanced by the fact that there's probably like two of them alive, whereas for the much weaker human species, there may be billions.

As a rule of thumb, the more powerful a race, the fewer their numbers and the more difficult reproduction is.

All that aside, your main problem, if you want to say you even have a problem -- (like.. whatever, man, it's more how you write it than how well balanced you make it. Take the VRMMO novels around here, for example. They're balanced about as well as a Jenga tower with half its pieces out already) --, would be that you're arbitrarily assigning specific inherent abilities to every race that read more as a job description than a racial talent... E.g. All beastfolk are sort of Shamans by default.

Well fuck that, maybe the cat wants to be a pure ninja and study real ninjutsu. Screw Shamanism and fox spirits.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    AMissingLinguist likes this.
  9. rook14

rook14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Remove mind magic from humans. Humans are basically advance goblins, fcck machines. They'll only get a trait if they fcck with other races.
    Remember, humans are only advance goblins nothing else.

Buff up Elves, Dwarves coz they're the neutral type.

Edit: Elves are honest while Dwarves are very frank race.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  10. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the advice everybody