Discussion Need some research on why games are bad for kids.

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Mr Pancakes, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you know where I can find some scientifically backed up research on why video games are bad for kids?
    Do you have any examples or know what I should for?
    Do you know some websites where I can find this?
    Thanks.

2. LordBS

LordBS Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No because that's BS.
    What actually harms a child is their environment and the people around them more than anything blaming games is just a poor excuse.

3. Stormingtiger101

Stormingtiger101 Procrastinator ○

Reading List:
    Link
    You may want to search reddit's psychology sub-reddit. They may have the information you are looking for.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  4. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    what do you need it for?

if you're going to use it in an essay or something, you should be looking for more objective studies.

I doubt you're going to find much backing up anti videogame sentiments, certainly not much peer reviewed. This has been debated ever since games became a thing, but I'm unaware of any notable victories on either side

if you're set on looking for shit to blame video games for, the loot box and gambling connection is worth looking into

5. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just use common sense. Follow the age rating, make sure the kids don’t play for too long and in the correct lighting. Gaming in and of itself isn’t harmful. What’s harmful is too much gaming which could lead to several health problems as well as mental problems.

Muspon, kenar, Shance and 2 others like this.
  6. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You may want to focus on the dangers of addiction, to which I'd point you to the many reports of kids fighting parents or starving themselves or skipping school in order to play fortnite. If you're looking for stuff that links it to more dangerous stuff, then like LordBS states, that's a hella full of shit.

7. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    I need it for a debate. Personally I don't really believe games are bad but I must have some scientific, objective research on why they are bad.

8. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
    Games are not bad for kids (if you look away from them siting infront of a television or schreen all day long playing), it's actully good for them, they can also reduse the chanse that kids/elderly from geting problems with some mental illness, such as alzaimers.

Muspon and Mr Pancakes like this.
  9. Aletx

Aletx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of credible scientific researches (Peer reviewed and published one) are generally found in online academic database, which could only be accessed if you have paid access/ post secondary access. Google scholar (a google search that filters for peer reviewed) is probably the best option if you don't have either options.

Alternatively, you can try to find specific article from published journals, but that will required a lot of digging.

There are plenty of non-peer reviewed/ non published ones from certain blogs, but their credibility is questionable/ may not be well-back, so don't take things for granted

As for impact of video games to kids, the studies overall are generally a mixed finding. There are both positive and negative influences of video game to children.

10. N1gh7R4v3n

N1gh7R4v3n Bounty Hunter for skittles

Reading List:
    Link
    Video games, Nothing at all.

As freezy said, there is nothing wrong with playing games. In fact, its beneficial. Playing games improves hand-eye coordination, team work, leadership, resource managing, etc etc.

Anything you find that says otherwise uses cherry-picked information, and things that are consequential.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  11. Arkus86

Arkus86 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you should narrow down your criteria a bit. Games is simply too broad a term to just brand harmful or not harmful for kids. Remember there are educational games as well and we're not even talking about tabletop games.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  12. Darkwood

Darkwood Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You really can’t find any research for that as all research in any field of study show that video games reduce violence and other negative parts about kids

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  13. DreadLord

DreadLord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason parent think games are bad is cause they expect it to distract their kids for awhile so they can have peace and quiet. Then complain that it doing a horrible job of raising their kids about it later.

The same could said for every other thing we do for entertainment both good and bad influences.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  14. AtratusImperator

AtratusImperator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There isn't any scientific evidence of that, so you're gonna have a hard time finding any real science about it.

Human's have been terrifically violent and strange since before we were even homo sapiens. If anything gaming has positive effects on development by increasing hand-eye coordination and memory/recall and problem solving. It does require moderation on the part of the parents (when referring to children) but, like anything, too much can be negative for the any human at any stage of their development.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  15. On-topic

On-topic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you just have to find a link between every major tragedy in human history and games. because correlation allways means causation

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  16. Simon

Simon [The Pure One's Chief Steward][Demon Beast]

Reading List:
    Link
    Saying that environmental factors harms children, without realizing that computer games full into that category. :blobrofl:

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  17. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Don-t know if you can get them for free and have access. But Google Scholar is your friend in this situations.
    The effects of video game play on young children's aggression, fantasy, and prosocial behavior
    Author links open overlay panelSteven B.Silvern∗Peter A.Williamson∗
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0193397387900335

The effects of violent video games on adolescents: The overlooked influence of development
    Author links open overlay panelSteven J.Kirsh
    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359178902000563

This one is a pdf

https://www.researchgate.net/profil...s-and-Consequences-of-Playing-Video-Games.pdf

Mr Pancakes and DragonMage18 like this.
  18. DragonMage18

DragonMage18 Outcast

Reading List:
    Link
  19. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    Google academic.
    Also the only harm is that they can get is to become addicted. Or playing for really but really long period of time will hurt the eyes

Mr Pancakes and Shance like this.
  20. RedvsBlack

RedvsBlack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They're not over indulgence in them is bad just like with everything else but games can teach strategy motor skills and other things that i'll neglect to mention since I need to drive myself to the hospital.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.