Discussion Need some research on why games are bad for kids.

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Mr Pancakes, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaikteis

Jaikteis 【Box-Lunch Connoisseur】

Reading List:
    Link
    Also instead of trying to find a study that is so particularly focused you can try and find several studies that may present some information that supports the position in your paper... like if one study will try to show that physically playing a sport is better for a child than playing a simulation of the sport like in a video game. And then find another paper that addresses any advantages of social interactions in person versus only interacting with people through an electronic medium such as video games... Or a study that talks about kids perception of reality and any correlation to video games or something like that. Also, how some of those things are presented also can be misleading so watch out for any sources you do use.

But video games are pretty much like any tool/technology, depending on how it is utilized is a prime factor on it having any positive or negative impact. The tool/technology itself is not necessarily the problem and removing the tool/technology won't stop something else from taking its place and being misused and then having people claim it should not be allowed. Usually a core issue is addressing behavior and/or social value systems... however, people don't like being told their they are responsible for their own actions or that they are the ones in the wrong for misusing something, people like to blame someone or something else... but that's all getting into other things...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  2. Lonelise

Lonelise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol that's funny.

i grew up playing games since i was 4 or 5 and my dad always encourage me because he himself is a gamer.

how you grew up to be a decent or bad person it's all up to your parents and environments.

irresponsible parents will always blame on something such as video games or irresponsible ppl in general since they always put a blame on everything.

it's bad for kids because of how addictive it is.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  3. fanobody

fanobody Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Myth: Computer use can damage the eyes.
    Fact: According to the AAO, computer use won't harm the eyes. However, when using a computer for long periods of time, the eyes blink less than normal (like they do when reading or performing other close work). This makes the eyes dry, which may lead to a feeling of eyestrain or fatigue. So encourage your kids to take frequent breaks from Internet surfing or video games.

There is the thing where the kid become crasy from playing to mutch game but the majority of these case the kid is already mental.

You can talk about addiction and problem like no sleep, no food to play more.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  4. xqiko

xqiko Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man it seems like these people don't have much experience with kids playing videos game nowadays. Games these days are different from like 10 years ago, most games kids play today is full of violence, with shooting and killing as the new normal. They play it because their friends play it, parents can't do much if thats like the only game they want (don't wanna talk about this why parents don't care so i'll just skip this part)

In my experenice of watching kids growing up playing games for 6 hours+ daily, i can tell you that they develop anger management issues, attention deficits, short sight (myopia) and liability, they start thinking that life is a game revolving around them, and that they can do anything without any consequences.

Over all it depends on what games are being play and what environment the kids are in.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  5. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    As other users have recommended, you can use Google Scholar and search something like "video game."
    You may also find things on ERIC (Education Resources Information Center) and Science Direct.
    If your school has access to it, EBSCOhost's Academic Search Premier, APA's PsycInfo, or ProQuest may have some articles.

Even if you are unable to access the article itself, you could try contacting one or more of the author(s) to request a copy. They may not be necessarily making that much money off of the publication of their work anyway, so you could potentially get a free copy.

When looking for articles, you want ones that are recent (<5 years ago) and has many citations (a lot of other people referencing this work).

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  6. sealteam14

sealteam14 Your friendly HI3 SEA monkey farmer

Reading List:
    Link
    People once said: "too much of everything is poisonous". The same applies to gaming industries overall & video games specificly. If i dare say half of the US population "addicted" to TV, you won't belived, right? But a statistic in 2010 shows that av average US spent 8.55 hours watching TV, over 35% said that one day without TV is nightmare for them...
    That all i can said, you can ask Google-sama about this.
    But better search Deep web for more specific database & statistic.

Mr Pancakes likes this.
  7. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    GRAVEDIG BAD!

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just report the spam bot instead of making a comment about their necroing...

9. lazyasianscientist

lazyasianscientist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Mr Pancakes my first reaction to the thread title tho :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2:[​IMG]

I agree with @Aletx the academic papers are usually paid but if youre able to get its doi or url of the article in https://sci-hub.tw/

Sci-hub is what we use when we need to use some research papers in our thesis:blobokhand:

So if you have a hard time opening a research paper or only read a part of it, this will help :blobhero:

10. Mr Pancakes

Mr Pancakes Well-Known Pancake

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, I come back to NU after years and see a reply to my 2 year old post.
    The debate was finished a long time ago, but thanks for trying

11. lazyasianscientist

lazyasianscientist Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh lol i didn't see the year hahahaha

12. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Begone to the underworld, you dead thread and filthy necromancers!!

Kuro_0ni likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.