Negative Reviews And Why You Should Ignore Them

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, May 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe my understanding of westernize is different from yours? Maybe I could use pokemon to illustrate my point, like when they changed onigini to jelly filled donuts some totally different object instead of just saying riceballs which is a closer meaning of the food or changing the characters name to English/American names when it's obvious the nationality of said characters are Japanese for example. This kind of westernization kind of spoil the story for me especially when you want to switch to raw.

Anyway each to each opinion as always. I'm already much grateful when someone is willing to translate a novel to english for readers online. Just that if I know from beginning a novel has been westernize, I might not begin reading to spare me from the misery as between pure translation or westernize translation, I'll pick pure translation.

Wujigege likes this.
  2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    While I also like to read bad reviews to know what to expect, many bad reviews also can't be trusted. I've seen plenty of bad reviewers where a reader misunderstood the story or tries to pretend one issue is common in the story when its a 1 time thing.

Changing an onigiri to a donut isn't westernization, it is poor translation.

Lil K.O likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha it is fine. Growing up, I was very confused when watching Kung fu movies since you have Cantonese and Mandarin dubs. There are many bad dubs than good dubs I admit because it is just too expensive.
    The target audience is also very different, look up 4kids, they butchered One Piece and they were also involved with Pokemon too. I linked to them earlier.
    It is simply easier to find bad dubs of anime due to the outrage but you might not hear so much about how seiyus are criticized for poor voice acting.
    Even Korean dramas as you mentioned, Moon Chae Won got a lot of flak for starring in a historical series/saguek The Princess Man.
    We, westerners, assume subs are great but it is not necessarily the case.
    Someone who is native in both languages might argue otherwise

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/4Kids_Entertainment

I do not fault 4 Kids, localization is expensive and One Piece was an unknown commodity at that point. Look at ADV that went bankrupt, popularity in Japan does not guarantee western success. So subpar subs dubs for unknown series or by small companies I forgive.
    You should try dubs for Cowboy Bebop. I am sure that you will disagree that subs are always superior to dubs

sources:
    https://hallyuinterview.wordpress.c...arly-that-my-acting-in-sageuks-was-deficient/

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Kuro_0ni likes this.
  4. shinobimike22

shinobimike22 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    signatures such as "kage bunshin no jutsu" or "mada mada dane" are better when they're used/leaved as it is. It is like using calligraphy text to express a line's coolness.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Shadow Clone jutsu didn't sound bad to me.
    I don't recall what the dub used for Prince of Tennis

6. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time, I prefer it when subs/dubs keep as much of the original in tact - idioms, honorifics, etc. Some things can be translated, but it can sound weird (particularly when -san gets translated as Ms. or Mr.). Depends on the work, but sometimes scenes are just too annoying to translate if you don't already use their system, or sound too weird (Kenkyo, Kenjitsu where Reika and Sakura are talking and a part of the scene is how they address each other - would sound weird to me if they kept saying Ms- when using -san, -chan, and no honorific).
    Persona games usually keep honorifics and a few other phrases in the game, almost surprised they did translate Nanako's "Onii-chan" into "Big bro." but I am not going to fault them on that (even though they left in Senpai).
    Some shows are fine when dubbed : Cowboy Bebop is a good (probably best) example. I remember watching Trigun as well, the dub seemed fine to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.