Net neutrality

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Nyarlathotep, Jul 13, 2017.

1. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, I don't hate. I am talking about the truth unless you are blind. The Cold War is over. Did I talk about the Cold War. The Russian interfer with the American election. Oh is not that is adversarial. Wow you talk about US interfering with other civil war and now when Russia interfere with an election, it is suddenly okay. If US would stop trying to control everything, oh like limit nuclear, climate change. How human right abuses in China and Russia. I might find fault in US but I don't hate them

2. Mordreth

Mordreth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You do know not to believe everything you see on tv or the internet, right?

3. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are probably many sites that will do that, but many translators and smaller sites don't have the capabilities to do that.

4. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    the little translator site will just merge with a bigger one with a server outside of murica. And we will have a mass exodus from murica server to europe or other save country.. it will just be a day work for less payment overtime.. I dont see the problem.

Mordreth likes this.
  5. Vudoodude

Vudoodude Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Moving servers is moot. Rather than throttling the website they'll throttle people's access to the website. The website may not use a certain ISP, but the people who want to view that website do, and the ISP will control it on that end.

6. SkeletoNQueeN06

SkeletoNQueeN06 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    let's not.. I'm struggling enough to pay my monthly expenses and trying hard to save extra for other things.. setting aside another $30 for something that I enjoy for free is like taking away all my happiness.. so let's not

7. xtudiux

xtudiux Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is all about control...hope it will not be an oligarchy of big businesses...

My country is already suffering a form of it, higher prices slow speed some websites being rerouted or not available...

8. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    then you guys just have to "pay to surf".. if not, go "free to surf" with 1/3 of your normal speed. :p

Im outside of murica and I can only buy a popcorn to see a BBQ chicken burn.. :D

9. blackhawkrider

blackhawkrider Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The most accurate name is probably "money" XD

Asf likes this.
  10. Morvian

Morvian 『Weakened King』『Abandoned Man』『Man Of Culture』

Reading List:
    Link
    well they dont have credit/debit card or something like that.
    ah and i dont have smartphone now, because whenever i have it my little brother / sister always ruin it.
    i'm indonesian, living within this country like this with low economy~

my family has low income [income from the shop i get from my parent, and its income used by everyone within my family(1 little brother+1 little sister + mother + father) for our food and anything else] so its stressing me enough to handle the money even if the income is minus perday.
    my network priced 30$ permonth, while my income is about 100$ permonth.

well you can calculate it, and imagine it if i take network like yours! hehe so sorry~
    and thanks for suggestion~

11. Risus

Risus ✵ Enigmatic Poet ✵ Tiger ✵ Reese's ✵

Reading List:
    Link
    It sets precedent. Basically, one company/government sees it works in another country, so they try to make it happen in their's.

12. Miri-Bell

Miri-Bell Semi-crazy Magic Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, thank you WiFi you have vanquished my childhood nightmare that is the sound of dial up.

blackhawkrider likes this.
  13. Miri-Bell

Reading List:
    Link
    It would be hard to come up with a good explanation for guns though O_O

Slayerwolfx2 and blackhawkrider like this.
  14. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    none of this belongs here so if this is all you will talk about, please leave, the door is right over there ------------>

I read both your posts and half of what you talked about in here is either bias for "1 side" or the other, or it is completely devoid of any factual relevance or evidence.

Now I can tell that english is probably not your primary language so I will give you at least a little benefit of the doubt, but don't bring country party politics to this.

15. NoxDobber

NoxDobber 『Resident Dark God』

Reading List:
    Link
    The explanation is easy: "America!!! Fuck Yeah!!!".

Besides on your signature it reads "If you can't solve your problem with grenades you probably aren't using enough." so...

16. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I apologize as I recognize that this I did go off content of this post. I get triggered easily. And yes English is not my first language.

17. Spiritsong

Spiritsong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a non American, and have no American interests. However, here are some things that you might want to know

1. The line that connects between you, and the servers, "gets taxed". Taxed as in, you pay MORE, to get a faster line, as compared to the current status quo where everything is on "best effort basis".

e.g: I'm from outside of USA. I play WoW on N.America realms. Without net neutrality, Blizz will tell me "we need you to pay extra USD 99999 because Comcast/AT&T doesn't like you outsiders". How can this happen? Because my connection to Blizzard's servers go through these greedy company's pipes. Change WOW to discord, Skype, any app or game you'll like. Because the path the data takes is now "tolled".

2. Spillover inflation. I'll give an example. (because there's no such thing as free bandwidth)
    I'm In Malaysia, and i'm doing my thing. Browsing reddit, surfing youtube, etc. So the data actually passes by few ISPs. An ISP in Malaysia, an ISP in Singapore, an ISP in Japan, and then maybe a few ISPs in USA. So all the retarded companies in USA decide "you have to pay more to enjoy current quality", which means the Japanese ISP gets charged. The Japanese ISP charges the Singapore ISPs, then the Singapore ISPs charge the Malaysian ISPs.
    Unlucky for Malaysian internet users, having to go through so many "tollgates" (when there's no longer net neutrality). So what if a Malaysian has 100mbps line? So what if they have 10mbps line? It'll crawl (and can) with artificial bandwidth throttling for "better paying customers". Again, corporate greed screwing the masses.

3. Change in landscapes. Companies like Comcast, AT&T, have their own 'networks'. This enables them to strengthen their networks. For example, They've got their own cable TVs. They've got their own channels. They'll artificially slow down accesses to Youtube, but give fast access to their channels (just because they can). Ignorant plebians who use Youtube will complain to Youtube when its the ISPs at fault, and then with some marketting gizmos and whatnot, many will jump to the other channels, leaving Youtube high and dry just because of the ISP issues. And who's behind the (new and old) channels? the same greedy ISPs that are trying to undo net neutrality.

That's about some tip-on-the-iceberg examples. Its way, way way worse for businesses. Using VPN will not bypass this. Using injectors won't bypass this. (an inside joke for the Malaysians and the Indonesian mobile bandwidth users). Because the pipes belong to them.

18. Miri-Bell

Reading List:
    Link
    But grenades are small.....decent guns are not and most people can't shoot. If I were in a crowd like that I'd worry about friendly fire.

19. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
  20. TheHawkk

TheHawkk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Such a naive uninformed viewpoint. You're giving the average customer way too much credit. When the average Joe tries to go on Netflix and realizes it doesn't work, but other sites work just fine, they'll just think Netflix is down. It's like you have a really hard time seeing things from other perspectives. Not everyone on the internet has a lot of technical knowledge. In fact, most of the users just use it scarcely for Facebook and the like. The average user is the type of person who asks you for help with installing an anti virus. They're not informed on whats happening with net neutrality because it's not really that important to them(Or at least they don't realize that it is).