New novel phobia

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by PaladinWolf, Mar 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone else dread reading a new novel in fear of it being bad or worse it being good only for the author/translator to disappear or drop it?

qpzmal, Cutter Masterson and otaku31 like this.
  2. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No because most of the novels that I have read to completion have crappy endings. These webnovels are about the journey and not where they end up. For most novels they only have a couple of possible endings anyway.

3. kurisomething

kurisomething Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    nah, if it’s good then i need to get it into my reading lists, and if it isn’t korean, I can probably MTL the raws if it’s good enough

4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, I'm always apprehensive about how a new novel will turn out. And I def. worry about a seemingly good novel being dropped early by TLs. But what I truly dread is new novels which I think good in the beginning not getting dropped and proceeding only to prove me wrong.

qpzmal and PaladinWolf like this.
  5. PaladinWolf

PaladinWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the problem though it seems like most of the novels I enjoy get dropped halfway through the journey I can handle crappy endings just fine ending a story well is probably one of the hardest things for a writer to do and I understand that and am fine with it but just dropping it halfway through is a shame

6. ShasuX

ShasuX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you expect? Translators are people, too. Leaving aside possible RL issues of the TL, it's mostly in the hands of the readers if a novel continues. No comments, no spreading the word, and generally just binge reading leads to the idea that a novel is unpopular. Add to that the novel getting a bad rating on NU, or stupid reviews like "It sucks!!1!one", and a TL will be liable to drop it. I mean, look at it from the view of the TL: Why continue putting your blood and sweat for free into something no one cares about? Makes no sense, not in RL and not here. ;-)

northerner and qpzmal like this.
  7. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    That usually happens to me when I see certain titles or genre. It’s like watching an adaptation of a novel. Expectations are high, but a lot of times it falls short. During those moments I say little prayer and dive in. So I feel your pain, but what can you do. You have to dig through a lot of dirt to find the gems underneath.

LilDanxia and PaladinWolf like this.
  8. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like that's normal, or bc it's me all the time. That's why i check all the reviews, ratings, even some spoilers just to be REALLY sure it's good (Especially if it's a novel with more than 100k words, I intentionally look at the spoilers.)

The worst thing is if it's an unpopular novel with no reviews and low ratings, i can't be sure if it's good or not, since ratings in NU are usually not reliable, and I discovered web novels with lower than 4 stars yet I absolutely loved.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.