New Recommendations System

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Tony, Oct 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Good touch on the review.
    Tbh..
    I became too lazy to review after the new system, since it will be abandoned in to the 8th page anyway with zero likes..

2. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know which novels is popular with active fans once you see the novel description has their recommendation list updated with the new system =p

I'm surprise there's not a "view more" recommendations if the viewer already have read the top 10 novels listed since it will be useful for finding hidden gem recommendations ^^;

FAiri110 likes this.
  3. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. I wish more were shown

4. forgotten

forgotten 【 R E M N A N T】

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony
    Been waiting for so long!
    [​IMG]

5. heartantares

heartantares One Who Provides Uselessly Detailed Information

Reading List:
    Link
    recommendations.... hmmm do the vote also go backwards to the novel you are recommending? like you recommend A is similar to B.... does B get A as a recommendation as well?

also for novels that dont have user recommendations/new novels.... do they just show blank? or does the machine recommendation by tags appear in its place til someone recs something.

6. expertsource

expertsource Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it doesn't work when I try to add more than one recommendation. I try to add 3 recommendation, but not even one is added. Then I tried to add one by one, but it seemed like a bug occered. I can't add anymore.
    Furthermore, I tried to add a recommendation on the A, it worked then I tried to add another novel, suddenly the first recommendation I made got deleted and the second one replaced it. In conclusion, I can't add recommendation more than one, if I try, the latter ones will replace the formers.

7. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought that the previous announcement was the best we had in ages...... But this one is the icing on the cake.... Now we can have more balanced reviews as well as see the popularity graph of a given novel
    Brilliant simply brilliant and awesome.....

8. Sherrynity

Sherrynity I see no God up there… other than the chaotic void

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically I'm free to put Desumachi on every slice of life novel I found on NU.

Excellent. :whistle:

9. expertsource

expertsource Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I demand you to show all recommendations, not just top10. or make it top100 which will show all because there're rare gem novels which recommended only once by one person whereas regular people who reads only a few novels bring up mediocre novels to limelight instead of rare gems. And rare gems can't even show up because of top10 restriction. please make it show top100 or all. don't hide the rare gem novels.

10. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    There's are downside to this recommendation system, that it doesn't necessarily solve the issue of unrelated inputs.

Firstly, it can't be denied that the general populace isn't really a reliable judge. Like some people may think that two novels may feel alike when they aren't. Like for example, two novels have the same kind of humor, but the plot and story are completely different. That is just one instance btw, I recon there'll be plenty more.

Another thing would be that it can be easily abused. Since anyone can input a recommendation, including douchebags. We've had a few incidents like that before.
    Sure, that's why we'll only show the top5, but that in itself is kind of sketchy, if we take the first point in mind.

I believe there should be a fail-safe system that needs to be implemented. Or is that already implemented and just wasn't mentioned? @Tony
    Regardless, this is a really great feature, definitely much better than the previous one. Thanks for this Tony.

Shio likes this.
  11. FAiri110

FAiri110 Your Secret Stalker

Reading List:
    Link
    I've tried the recommendations thingy and it's great! @Tony it would be great if it has 'more' button for recommendations and 'back to the novel' button for after we've done recommending.

12. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems it removed the recommendation when it was removed from the reading list. Since somebody said to add Adam to ISSH I did that, then removed it from my reading list, which then removed it automatically from what I can tell. :/ Oh well, that test done.

Surprisingly hard to think of similar series for some series. There are others in same genre but that I don't think are similar. Boku wa Isekai de Fuyo Mahou to Shoukan Mahou wo Tenbin ni Kakeru is a good example, the entire school is transported as they are into a game world and a lot of people die. So it has game systems but it also has large scale world transport but not entire world re-make. Most world transport tends to be a small group at the biggest or the entire earth as in Reincarnator or Sovereign of Judgement.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  13. The Mt.Tai

The Mt.Tai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finaly something practical

14. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually that is pretty subjective. In the case of similar comedy or fluffy moe feeling, I don't mind if they do recommend it, but that's just me. Some prefer it while other don't.

Well tony can always create 2 recommendations list but that may be too much work and/or redundant.

It's not hard to find out if you look at the recommended novel tags and synposis to see if the recommendation is base on similar theme/settings, or if its base on the same kind of jokes and feeling.

15. piratex

piratex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This looks great. Thanks

16. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you missed my point. My point is that there's a chance that people will just input anything even if the resemblance is irrelevant. Like for example, a fantasy novel will be recommended to another fantasy novel with a completely different plot line. While you scrutinized my half-assed example. Lol.

Don't misunderstand me though, I'm completely with this change since it's much, much better than the previous one. I was just nitpicking for my own satisfaction and I think @Tony and @Parth37955 both knows that. Kek.

17. @

@ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish there'd be a feature where you can vote (up/down) and comment on reviews. The comments would be hidden until the user clicks on them.

18. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    IIRC, he has previously mentioned that there would never be a down-voting system in NU.

19. DarkBlue

DarkBlue «Darker Than Blue» «Overlord of Sleep»

Reading List:
    Link
    Is there any way of preventing troll recommendations?
    Something like a tag or 2 has to be common for a story to be added to recommendations?
    This is because I seriously don't want to see fluffy story recommendations on xianxia/wuxia/xuanhua pages...
    Or so we can avoid yaoi/yuri/adult story recommendations in a story completely devoid of it...
    And no, I haven't seen this occurring yet but I guess it's just a matter of time.

Also, nice going for the new recommendations system~
    It's already pretty neat, but well, we'll always want more ~

20. Aegis21

Aegis21 Hiki wanna be

Reading List:
    Link
    The system is finally changing,I'm tired seeing CN dominating the recommendation list.
    Btw,I hope nobody is crazy enough to recommend death march for dungeon defense

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.