Discussion New Webnovel membership system

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by fardhik39, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkwusa

bkwusa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think something else being missed is that people who stack chapters will benefit as well. If you take out 1 month sub then cancel and wait 3 months for enough chapters to amass from the novels you like you can then sub another month and catch up. How long you wait depends on your reading speed and how many novels you want to read of course. However that can reduce your price significantly. (even if you just copy paste all the novels you want to read into a text file to read over the next 3 months)

2. alamptr

alamptr What should i put here

Reading List:
    Link
    This good.. But i need my daily crack from certain novel

3. Causal Reader

Causal Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I know for a fact that the middle upper class would find the price to offering stupidly high when looking at other offerings. Adults should have enough common sense to avoid it, especially what they offering in return. Like I said earlier I can only see only one group that would buy into it that would be the brats with the rich parents.

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Or... Literally anyone that already spends more than 25$/month at Qidian (well, Qidian will be earning less from those people now, so it's not that much of a point I guess~)? Or people that already spend amounts close to that, but don't keep track might also be lured into buying it.

Others might be lured by the promotional price to try it out, and then get too used to the commodity of the subscription system to give up on it. (obviously only applies for those that can afford it)

As for the "other offerings" thing, the only thing they are useful for is making you realize that Qidian is more expensive than most other subscription services... It doesn't matter much if what you wish to read is a specific Qidian novel though. What matters is how much money you have available and how much are you willing to spend in their services.

5. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's my water bill plus phone bill....

Princess Renesmee and Kuro_0ni like this.
  6. Causal Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Point taken, on note offering also matters. Since one is offering cheaper & better wouldn't the normal action be to go to the better offer?

7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    What I meant was that there is only one site that offers (at least through legit means) the English translations of those 150-200 novels, so... For those 150-200 novels, there is no competing offer, it's either Qidian or don't read it.

Of course there are multiple sites that offer a wide variety of novels, but if you want to read any of those specific novels that are being offered within Qidian's Premium System, either you use Spirit Stones or their membership. So... At that point what matters is basically if the person in question has the money to spend on it, and if they're willing to spend said money in Qidian's site.

The competing offers don't matter much if they don't offer the product you desire after all, even if they offer other very appealing products.

Astaroth likes this.
  8. Causal Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Well good luck with that! I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

9. LtBeefy

LtBeefy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never saw such membership of webnovel so is this a troll thread?
    Price seems high, 25 bucks. Maybe 10 or 15 acceptable

10. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which is a major factor into why this is stupid. A subscription like this is a decent way to convert nonpaying “customers” into the paying kind. People who can’t afford or just don’t want to deal with their awful spirit stone system could easily have found a $10~15 subscription a lot more palatable. You should never just write off pirates - everyone who has an interest in your product is a potential customer. You’re just not offering them something they can accept.

Well, Qidian has publicity problems on top of their unreasonable prices.

11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Mmmmm, that's true~

My guess is that they are just used to the numbers of people that resort to piracy in China and assume things will be the same in the West... Which might be true, hell if I know, I think piracy is stronger over there though.

But yeah, it's easier to get customers from 3rd party sites if the price is lower I suppose~

12. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Bad publicity is still a publicity yanno

Princess Renesmee and Kuro_0ni like this.
  13. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was saying that it's possible to convert pirates to paying customers through more reasonable pricing, but that won't work for pirates who just hate Qidian. Bad publicity is still publicity, sure, but it's a trade-off. You gain attention by losing customers.

Two steps forward, one step back.

14. AuthorIsAwake

AuthorIsAwake New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I've caught up with most of the discussion.
    For my part, 25usd per month is too steep to pay. But that doesn't matter much.

What I'm curious about is, what other platform charges for a similar monthly USD subscription of around 25-30usd per month? Is there any service or entertainment channel offering such (except monthly cable bills I guess)

We have samples of services that are priced lower, around the 10 to 15usd price point per month. Now, how about the other end of the spectrum?

This is just a curiosity I have since we have an active discussion about the service's monthly pricing. So any ideas because I surely have no idea.

15. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Well If you want to disregard Cable subscription services, or TV related subscriptions. Then amongst other types of media, here are a few

Streaming
    Youtube Premium - 1st month free, $11.99/month
    Crunchyroll - 14-day Free trial, $6.45/month

Ebook subscriptions
    Scribd - 30-day Free trial, $8.99/month
    Bookmate - 7-day Free trial, $9.99/month
    24symbols - $8.99/month
    Playster - $14.95/month

Princess Renesmee and checkm8 like this.
  16. danfilystars20

danfilystars20 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    25usd is too much for me unless i have a month free time and i can read all the novel i want on qidian after paying for the subscription. will also stop after the month.

Karyehs likes this.
  17. Mighty Action X

Mighty Action X Mighty and Invincible

Reading List:
    Link
    Or you're from an aggregator site and use that $25 to unli-copy their chapters.

18. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    So webnovel is becoming increasingly Chinese in their business practices, charging lucrative prices for content that someone else creates to sustain their lives and making it difficult for us poor and rather greedy people to get ahold of the content we are addicted to.

Hehe, it is like reverse opium.

Anyways, regardless of whether or not is it is excessive, for a stable and competent adult with some excess available, 25 dollars is like a subscription for online gaming through xbox or Sony. Now even Nintendo is doing it.

Paying for content was never a new idea, and while I may personally be irritated, it was only a matter of time. But hey, at least we managed to get our selfish voices heard, even if nothing will be done about it.

The only thing we poor people can do is do a number of things...actually. Get an additional job, learn to manage or hire someone to manage your money, or just hold off on indulgence and focus on your studies/workplace to get a higher paying job.

It sucks, but for the sake of the authors who make their living this way, for being to share their imaginations with us, isn't paying them back acceptable?

We can target Qidian and Webnovel, Lezhin Comics or whatever, but it all comes down to what you are willing to do to get your content.

And to me, paying is absolutely the easiest option available.

19. Evil_Ginger

Evil_Ginger 『Lawful Neutral』『Cheese Master』『安德鲁』

Reading List:
    Link
    I happened to get a windfall recently and spent what I thought was going to be $50 for ~325 chapters

I forgot I had a $10 coupon through GoogleStore yay

20. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    $25 is too much.

$15 I could barely justify doing but $10 would be best, I already have Netflix sucking that much each month and I rarely use it because my ISP has a data cap and nothing eats through that like streaming HD video.

I've already written off the QI novels I was following on the QU subreddit since they've taken that down. Was following 5 but narrowed that down to 2 from just losing interest in how the other stories were progressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.