News New Writing Website

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by illusorum, Aug 13, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. illusorum

illusorum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I wanted to introduce you to a new website called Nebula Writings at https://nebulawritings.com! It’s a new website I created where you can host original web novels because currently, the only website that accomplishes this (that’s not combined with translation-focused websites) dedicated to this type of community is royalroads. My goal for this website is to create a location solely dedicated to hosting original webnovels while extending and benefiting this community. Though at the moment, the website might look less polished compared to others, but I hope the website grows well with your support. *bows*

2. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't actually say why you want this site when RR exists...

3. illusorum

illusorum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't think it was necessary as that would be a bit like explaining why there's so many translation websites or multiple writing websites in other countries when there could be just one combined one.

Overclock likes this.
  4. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well on our side competition is the mother of innovation. If something does grow enough to compete with RR they'll both start researching improvements and benefits to lure over writers and readers. I'd be happy so see someone start that ball rolling. RRL has stagnated for the most part in recent times. It's good, a lot better than before, but they don't have much motivation to keep the improvements coming ATM.

Just imagine Intel if we didn't have amd. You'd be stoked to have your brand new 1.5ghz quad core on sale for only 800$ right now.

Wujigege, Westeller and HappyHavak like this.
  5. Zay

Zay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good idea, I have been looking for a place to expand my searches don't really like that orange site(forget what it's called) not talking about rrl

6. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wattpad?

7. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Are people getting baited into a profittable venture? I doubt anyone would host out of their own goodwill. @illusorum
    Is there any monetization in the near future? How will you conpete with RRL? What will you do better? Are there any restrictions by hoating on your site? Are there any minimums to be considered? Or can any amateur write boring texts on your site? Are there proofreaders/regulators who will in fact read the stories that are posted on your site to weed out the trolls? Although i doubt you will monetize it now, in the near future you will probably want ads, merchandise, or even a tax fee.

TLDR: Better than RRL? Are you out for money? Do you really just want to support new and aspiring authors with no ULTERIOR motive?

AHKoT and Cosmic_ like this.
  8. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I get why you'd want there to be another site as there needs to be more competition and outlets, but what makes you better than RRL and all the other sites out there? I hope you aren't just some one-man team that only dedicates to it during your free time.

Other sites at least provide an existing audience and reputation. They also have an active community and a team. Not to mention the work put into the sites themselves as well as the resources, tools, and features like trending pages, net security, copyright and publication help, plagiarism checkers, statistics page, comments section, hosting, reporting, and linking to PayPal or Patreon. And even sites that aren't dedicated to these works and only provide the space or site, still offer customization and sometimes ad revenue. Even forums can sometimes provide more. Even some translation sites provide an original works section.

What can you provide for readers and authors? What's different? What's new? What's better? Do you have any ulterior motives? What's the cost, price, gain, loss and exchange? What are the terms? Cause if you are just doing this on a whim, half-heartedly, and thinking that it'll take off or even semi-succeed through relying on other's and their work, without providing anything or being better than the competition and alternatives, then you really should rethink your choices and check your own intelligence. But who knows, maybe you will give your all, maybe it will become a gem. But only time and the market will tell.

https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/other-websites-for-fiction.8195/
    Original Works Forums and Websites:
    SpaceBattles Original Fiction Forum
    Sufficient Velocity Original Fiction
    Alternative History (Need to become a member to access the best content, this is free to do)
    FictionPress
    Inkitt
    Royal Road
    Wattpad
    Finestories
    Japtem
    WuxiaWorld Original Stories Forum
    Smashwords
    Humanity F*** Yeah Reddit Forum
    Fantasy-Books
    Community Fictions on Novelupdates Forums
    And dare I say: Inkstone

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. Suzaku128

Suzaku128 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good Luck on your project.

Rumby and Westeller like this.
  10. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you think someone is going to build a competitive site from the ground up, and in that nature likely set up a publishing route to compete on that front in the future as well, in return for nothing but the goodness of their heart, you deserve to be tricked.

It should go without saying that this kind of thing requires monetization to at least cover costs. It's not like tls, translators can, but really shouldn't, treat their tls as an unpaid hobby because there is no real cost other than their time and education, and maybe some keyboard wear. This type of venture will require a server, maintenance teams, business deals. You can start on your own, but you'll have to build a full staff, and that staff will need money.

I want to imagine that no one, who thinks this person has a chance, ever expected it to be a charity venture.

Cosmic_ likes this.
  11. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    In case my point didnt get across, i was just trying to bait out what the OP was really trying to get at. Of course no one is generous enough to uostart a platform for new and aspiring authors out if the goodness of their heart. What i really wanted to kniw is the OPs real motive and goal. If his end game is basically trying to become an E-Publisher, he/she should have veen open about it from the start. Its not like people cant just post on RRL right now. What good is it to inspire pity from aspiring authors? At least be genuine even if you dont have a competitive edge.

Side note: im sure uploading your novel to OPs website will wave a few freedoms. Not to mention his or her terms of use. You think running a whole website is free? Ofc he/she will collect revenue from ads and probably partial future sales of the novels listed.

12. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not like OP showed a hidden agenda. they said they want to grow the current barebones site to compete. Growing a site takes money, I'm pretty sure they expected everyone to uncover their dirty little secret that, they too, have to use money when doing business. It even says that they wish for it to grow "with our support". They want to get out the door using this community, and then utilize that momentum to further grow it into a legitimate business. It's what I got out of it, and I'm assuming everyone else as well, It looked quite straight forward to me

I'd post my few chapter long hiatus story on your site, but at this point I'm just hoping my followers think I died as my promises to continue fell through a couple years ago and I've yet to have time.... Feels rude AF, so I kinda just hope they think I had a heart attack while working on typing up the next chapter on my phone(laptop died) >=>

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  13. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    But that doesnt quell the reluctance from possible writers who may want to join. They only thing theu have going for them as of this moment is that they are new.
    No competitive edge whatsoever.
    Now who would choose to go to RRL over them? Pretty obvious choice, but i was trying to inspire some feedback that would explain why their site is possibly better. That, along with their intentions.

Who invests in new companies that copy an already existing item? Thats like making a cola to compete against Pepsi or Coca Cola.

jordansainvil likes this.
  14. jordansainvil

jordansainvil Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    D

RR has been terrible lately. I can't find any good novels. And Quidian is just as bad if not worse, theirs only system novels there.

Awe 128 likes this.
  15. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Just because you cant find any good novels doesnt mean the site is shit. Please rephrase that.

Edit: Even Qidian has a pretty good website even if they have a semi-paywall.

16. jordansainvil

jordansainvil Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never called it shit i merely stated my opinion that RR has not been the best lately. What are you going on about?

17. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    So, is there anything put in place so the stories don't just get stolen?

18. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    Or to make sure the stories aren't stop; plagiarism checkers.

19. UnknownSaint171

UnknownSaint171 To Something Sounds Cooler

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not discouraging you and they are not bullying you but realistically speaking, if you want to make a site, you’d have to have something equal to the other competitors or it’ll just be a waste of time for people to go to it

20. Zay

Zay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.