news monitoring without rss?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Shiki, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    okay, short of writing my own crawler, what can I do? I mean, usually news sites have twitter and instagram account and I can pull from there. But the problem is filtering it to only show economy related news. It's pretty annoying honestly. I don't mind paid solution, but free and open source is preferable.

2. NoLongerTheSame

NoLongerTheSame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not really tech savvy, but maybe try looking into Google Push Notifications?

Shiki likes this.
  3. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess just pull from an economy focused new site? Or just good ol' filter by keywords with a threshold? I think twitter has an api so you wont need a crawler. But yeah dont no any service or app that does this.

Shiki likes this.
  4. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    idk, maybe news.google.com > business > economy ?

Shiki likes this.
  5. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You could look into an RSS aggregator like Feedly. I use it for reading news and whatnot. It's fairly configurable.

The issue is that you need to pull the resources from somewhere. RSS is nice because most sites support it. If you don't use RSS, you'd have to find a widely used replacement, and as far as I know, there's not a ubiquitous alternative. As you mentioned, you'd need to find a news aggregator that probably just uses RSS feeds or build your own scraper/crawler.

Some larger websites have a twitter account per type of news, for instance: https://twitter.com/nytimestech

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    Deleted member 25261 and Shiki like this.