News: Platinum Games Inc. accepts Tencent investment

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by cheonsa-nim, Jan 8, 2020.

1. cheonsa-nim

cheonsa-nim Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Platinum Games Inc. is a Japanese video game developer, with renowned titles like Bayonetta franchise, Nier: Automata, Astral Chain, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Babylon's Fall, etc.

In the latest news from sites like Forbes, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamesradar & Twitter. The games publisher received investment funding from Tencent to further games development and push out more sequels and original game IPs.

Platinum Games President & CEO Kenichi Sato said concerning his company's partnership with Tencent, "They have no effect on the independence of our company, and we will continue operations under our current corporate structure"

CEO Kenichi Sato also said Tencent's investment with Platinum Games Inc. will "strengthen our foundation as a business and expand from game development into exploring self-publishing."

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-​

While its debatable to see Tencent's growing reach over the games industry, hopefully independent publishers maintain their grasp over their original IPs and continue to publish great games.

2. Alexios Blake

Alexios Blake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I heard so far Platinum aimed to be a independent developer since quite a while and with Tencent as a sponsor I think they are trying to exactly do that.

cheonsa-nim likes this.
  3. joseki

joseki Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If a game company wants to enter the chinese market (and why not, there are a lot of money to be made), I don't think there are many ways other than partnering with Tencent. That is worring.

imK and cheonsa-nim like this.