LCD Night Ranger

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jacobpaige, Nov 15, 2017.

1. SquadCammander354

SquadCammander354 『Early Life Crisis』〖Stormy's Bro〗『Lord of Storms』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well sh*t, alright, but actually the viewpoint is still the general audience, and it doesn't seem that he would actually lend a hand, as for the apprentices, they're not really his direct students, but are students of his students....probably :hmm:

2. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but the point is him biasing things in their favor in a life-and-death tournament. Whether the girl is his direct disciple, or simply someone who attends his school, the point is still the same.

SquadCammander354 likes this.
  3. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya know, over the years, my tastes in reading material has changed quite a lot. I started out by reading action JP novels, overpowered MC stuff, I liked it, but that was it. I've noticed that it's hard for me to feel emotional in any story, and I've only cried once after reading a novel, but now I found a series that makes me excited, sad, and emotional, wanting for more. Just so you know it's not this series, ha, it's good but it doesn't give that feeling that draws you in, in other words,"It's not that good."
    Sorry Shiraishi

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
  4. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nah, that's just getting older, everything becomes more bland. it is rare to find that moment that really leaves you feeling like you did the first time you were really touched by a story. you start noticing that most situations that were supposed to make you feel touched come across as forced, and then you feel anger because the author had the gall to pull some bs like that. it's nice when a story brings you to a profound moment, but often time it comes across as pretentious

stories like this one offer two things-
    1) constant rewards for the MC, every time he gets a new power up, we get a cookie. it has no depth but we know it is pleasing to us. that's why we play games that give us shiny loot all the time, because that tiny reward gives us a sense of accomplishment, this story does that too.
    2) frequent face slapping. let's be honest, this mc is a murderhobo in every sense of the phrase. every 10 or so chapters he kills someone else. It's all set up to give you a sense that the person murdered by MC deserved it (rip guardian). for the target demographic for this story, this is the real pay off.

there might be something else, and I have a nagging suspicion that I initially meant to have a different 2 in that list, but pretty much that is this story. Don't go into a web novel expecting "crime and punishment", or "les miserables". about the only thing in this story so far that really annoyed me was how the author chose to have the outlaws burn the village MC went to, instead of having MC randomly stumble across the village. Dude was pulling a BS feels moment with the little dead elf girl.

Wujigege and SquadCammander354 like this.
  5. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    It does feel forced, like when I re-read something a few times, the situation it feels forced, that's why every-time I say I'll re-read a story, I'm joking. I'd only do so when I truly forget the actual story itself(it takes awhile).

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Fofofo

Fofofo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Oh, I awakened to something that most people see as a vile devil/fiend, lets show that power to some of the most learned people on the continent so they can lynch me after I win this school tournament"... getting old and grumpy sucks, I used to enjoy these powertrippy stories.. Good thing there's still plenty of good unread books out there! :p

7. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    The latest chapter is "Too overBearing!"

gary0044187 likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say misogyny at its finest with how Marvin killed Celina but even if she was male it makes no sense.
    It is a competition not a death match
    What will wizard Leymann do in retaliation?
    I am betting the author says that she was preparing a spell on the sly. That's the only way in which killing her makes sense.

Haha just read the comments above mine. Guess I am not alone.

9. Shiraishi

Shiraishi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason is simpler than that. She is the one who allied herself with the unicorn clan, helping them.

Still under the effect of the cold resistance potion. (which a different one from the one he took for the water last time, it's not a short duration high res one)
    Still, I don't remember him having any recovery potion or item.
    Also, In D&D. Shapeshift (Wild Shape) is a druid skill. Shapeshift sorcerer is something so rare that nearly no one will notice it. Druids being known and shapeshift sorcerer being unknown simply lead to him having no issues using it.

In real life, wolves can kill a bear. Now, a bunch of lvl 3-4 wolves, which can't attack together due to the chaos, biting on a bear with more than 20 constitution and strength and steel like fur who can one shot them? Meh. It's not real world, it's a world of sword and magic with levels and skills, not everything will happen like it would happen here. I was more concerned about why people were worried when the Snow Demons appeared when they are weak to physical attacks.
    And for her spells, she had to think about getting those spells. As far as she knew, she only had to let the Gemini take care of it. She received the wolf as a pet and wanted to raise it up, so it might be understandable if she didn't build around it. (though the next part might contradict)

Though arguably, it might not be Leymann's plan, it might be the Unicorn's family giving her the cub because they knew there were wolves in the mountain. (yeah, it's the same place every time.)

Why wouldn't they let the worst ones die (if they are dumb enough to not surrender) and raise the best ones into Legends. It's a dog eat dog world where only the strongest one can survive, that competition is deadly and all the competitors know it. It's risk = reward. Those unwilling to die wouldn't register, especially those sons of nobles who are unsure of their abilities, they would just fawn under someone to get benefits.

I'm annoyed at the sudden appearance of the wolf though, there was no foreshadowing of it. It was just a sudden powerup for the enemy to prepare the next battle. but meh, battle was nice and the arc didn't last too long. (just a dozen chap, which is fairly short for the usual competitions in webnovels.)

gary0044187 and Wujigege like this.
  10. Shiraishi

Shiraishi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bonus part.

I just tried imagining a non-deadly wizard tournament.
    And yeah... Nope, that's 10 times weirder than allowing death.
    (Let's see, ban this spell, and this spell, and this one, and this one, etc... Okay guys, I got barrier, arcane missile, arcane missile, arcane missile, arcane missile....)
    Restricting the deadly spells would make the tournament shitty and not allowing the students to progress.
    And they can surrender anytime, they are just dumb enough not to... and to flirt with a bear.

11. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter 121 was too overBearing-(even I'm disappointed in myself):facepalm:

Wujigege likes this.
  12. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    funny enough, I had a warmage once whose magic missile would straight up murder anyone... but there is the concept of nonlethal damage substitution in spells in dnd... or if you can create your own demiplane, you should be able to create an illusory realm that works like vr. but I prefer to explain it as "this is a game world, not a real world. most of this callous disregard for life comes from the fact that the NPCs had to be programmed that way"... still waiting for mc to wake up in an asylum...

Edit: totes ellipses abuse.

Shiraishi and SquadCammander354 like this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Even nameless nobles are ass kissing Marvin. The author just pointed out that all he needed to do was grab the grail.
    The justification for the lack of consequences and action from Leymann is silly.
    No one said the tournament should be non lethal, a VR system like the person above me said makes sense.
    The issue is lack of consequences. If Marvin was slaughtering monsters then there is no problem.
    Even assassinating is fine.
    Killing someone in open view without consequences is dumb, even if they are NPCs because the rulers are NPCs.
    A MC killing monsters does not have to be justified, it is easy to write but to kill people, takes a lot of skill since everyone cannot be evil and Celina wasn't.
    It was fun while it lasted. Thanks for the translation. @Shiraishi

Can anyone recommend something like Devil's Cage?

14. SquadCammander354

Reading List:
    Link
    "Quickly Wear the Face of the Devil" It's not really similar, technically the MC lives in the virtual world.

15. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    ehh, even author has said it was a death game. I don't think anyone here doesn't know it was a death game. we may disagree with the use of a death game, but seriously? if you are the guy that runs the death game, you don't get upset when someone you like dies in it. That's life, you accepted it when you created a death game.

16. Slightly Canted

Slightly Canted Grey Warden

Reading List:
    Link
    Celina knowingly allowed the Unicorn family to use her "follower" slot to let an assassin kill Marvin and his brother Wayne. And she knew it was to be an assassination. So of course she is "evil."

To put it another way, that's like saying you let a known terrorist into your country and then let him plan his attack and sleep at your home. Then when he kills a bunch of kids you say, "It wasn't my fault." o_O

Of course it was your fault.

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks more gray to me. Didn't he kill her lover?
    If Leymann had responded in some way then I would have bought it.
    There seems to be absolutely no consequences for his actions.
    I was never a fan of 'know the future' stories anyway. The stakes become too low for me to be invested

18. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea who the "he" is that you said kills someone's lover. But it still doesn't change the fact that Celina is just as guilty of murder as the Gemini (and the Unicorn family) are. When you knowingly let a killer use your status to kill people, you are guilty of whatever crimes he/she commits as well.

That is precisely why it is a crime to "aid and abet" in the U.S. Even though the person didn't do the crime his/herself, it is still a crime to help those who do commit said crimes.

19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't Marvin kill Celina's lover?

20. Slightly Canted

Reading List:
    Link
    I have no idea about this. But "aiding and abetting" a fugitive (i.e. a criminal) is a felony offense (a felony is the worst type of crime). So Celina aided and abetted the Gemini. Hence, she is just as guilty as they are (and the Unicorn family).

SquadCammander354 and Wujigege like this.