Question No racism or nepotism but are most people here "JP novel haters"?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Yuki_Makoto13, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuki_Makoto13

Yuki_Makoto13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    See, I'm a very diverse reader. I read things from light novels to web novels; Xianxia to wuxia and all things in between but as of late, almost all JP novel I come across with have relatively poor ratings while KR novels are average and CN novels being the most dominant one. I love CN novels. I really do as you may all know from my reading list but... Even good JP novels that are well-received in Japan and Korea, where some even received awards, are... well underrated. I know we all have our own tastes and opinions. My point is that it seems these novels are really hated by many. But I don't see anyone hating the all-around killing and philandering of our wuxia heroes. So I just want to confirm whether JP novels are hated just because they're made by Japanese or is it that their novels just sucks.

Paps and kkgoh like this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    put a poll will ya

I'll pick the non hater

Lots of good gems in JP novels

Paps, TheLazySphinx, S4TY4 and 4 others like this.
  3. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I think it's not that people hate jp novels perse but as u may understand after reading many such works that compared to CN or KR novels the JP don't have ur action and they have overly optimistic dense completely unrealistic and stupid MCs that even nice stories get ruined
    Edit: Actually there are lots of gems in JP that cannot be found in CN or KR such as
    Overlord
    Mushoku non Tensei
    Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha (which I will say is an underrated gem)

sonhot and Riff like this.
  4. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    It's mostly cause the amount of CN novels are too large so it overwhelmed JP and KR novels. Then there is the DMCA issued when picking up a LN novel cause you don't know when those Official English Publishers will pick up those novels. Then the rest is WN.
    So...not really, people are likely to get tired of CN novels cause of those carbon copy and the damn cliched in Xianxia than JP.
    And really, make a poll with yes and no and neither and meh and some random options.

5. bibi

bibi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe that in general, the quality of the Chinese novels is superior, just as the manga is superior in the Manhuas in this respect.
    I don't think the plot of the Japanese novels are interesting in general, and they have also more infantile tone (I usually read novels with female protagonists to avoid reading a harem book).
    Japan produces good manga and anime, korea produces good clips and dramas, and china produces good books and is beginning to produce good dramas. is a kind of specialization.

I live in a country where the books from national authors are considered bad by the public itself, so I understand this hatred well.

Riff likes this.
  6. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    uhhhh. . . .
    what do i say. . .
    somehow smells of a greenhorn. . .

but welp for me i think all those people that you notice are just toooooooo used to reading JP novels that they somehow got bored of those types. . . .
    like they can already see what will happen next, cliché as they say,

but welp alot of novels that i consider as gems are JP. . . .
    but welp it depends on the reader anyway, it's like imprinting (yeah like on those chicks)

gary0044187, Sabruness and Riff like this.
  7. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    I would honestly just say that read it if you feel like it's good and ignore any ratings from letting it decide for you.

And it's not that there aren't people who hate all types of novels, it's just that where they comment about it might change and the reasons for it would change.

8. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, the number of the haters are quite low. It's just that CN readers overwhelme others but they don't necessarily hate JP.

9. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    Its relative. Some hate typical jp beta mc and some hate overly arrogant cn mc. Maybe because most jp translated earlier than cn so many reader got over exposure of jp trope ?

10. omarct

omarct Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese novels have some gems, but I am so over their pussy ass main characters. Even when the novel is full of more adult themes the main character still feels like some 13-year-old virgin, except he is impotent or closet gay(one of the 2). There is also the fact the people who tend to like Japanese novels sound like huge weaboos.

sonhot, gary0044187, noriga and 7 others like this.
  11. HavekZero

HavekZero A well meaning, contributing member of this forum

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought I didn't hate JP novels either.

Then some twit made a story about someone reincarnating as a pair of panties....

Then I remembered. Yeah, this is that same country that got nuked twice.
    Obviously there's gonna be a few of em who're not quite right in the head.

So I don't generalise, even though I do prefer to keep a wide berth of distance between me and JP novels in general

gary0044187 likes this.
  12. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I don’t hate JP novels but their cliche tropes are even worse then CN novels imho. Especially the dense MC that gets a nosebleed when he sees a girl in a bikini. There are very few JP novels that I enjoy but they all seem to follow a set of ‘rules’ kinda like how CN novels do but you’ll find more diversity in the latter. Most of the KR novels I’ve read are awesome, they just aren’t as numerous as JP or CN, especially CN novels :sweating_profusely:

sonhot, Sabruness and Riff like this.
  13. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no hate, boya...
    IMO, the reason majorities of peoples here prefer CN or KR was likely because of how the MC's personality shown, on how he acts and handle things which is really match with how the readers think and want it to be. But, still the most obvious reason is that both of these novels aren't as generic as what JP novels have. Sometimes I could barely tell the titles, like forgot which novel I had read in the past because it seems too similar with the other novels, in JP novels case.

TL;DR there is no hate, but more into people's preferences.

Rumby, Wujigege and Riff like this.
  14. Legendary_Exor

Legendary_Exor {Even this Turtle knows NTR is evil]

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? I'm sure no one hides their disdain for these type of stories.
    Also, its mainly because KN novels tend to stay short. JP tend to go on forever(also seem to have a perverted vibe), to the point that it becomes hateful.(just personal opinion)
    and it's in no way racist dude, this is personal preference and what not.

Riff likes this.
  15. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    each has their own issues with things that'll cause a person to not like 'em. KR tend to be rather bland and drawn out, especially when dealing with relationships, but are otherwise fine until you reached their super rushed and disappointing end. CR tends to be moderately enjoyable as long the writing is somewhat decent and they lay off the blatant racism and rape/NTR.

JP novels however have far more flags. rape, NTR, and a whiny little shit of beta MC that's so dense he makes a black hole look bright, has an odd obsession with slaves and food, and everybody's opinion of him seems to be entirely "for the plot" related rather than anything that feels slightly natural are the things that usually stand out for me. there's also the harem thing but i see most peoples' issue with it as more of a forced plot issue, since there's some rather well written novels that have done a great job with that tag.

i suppose you could call it a cultural thing in a way, but our opinions on the matter usually judge the character/writing on its own merit rather than just writing novels off based on where they're from. simply put, compared to the far too common super beta that shows up in a JP novel, KR seems to get "average" down better and CN makes an asshole more interesting to read about.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
  16. Avagantimos

Avagantimos Chosen Undead|Bearer of the Curse|Ashen One

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people hate the pandering jp novels. 1 bland character (so the reader can put themselves in their role) surrounded by beautiful women who show/tell their feelings to mc but he doesn’t do anything. That’s why ppl hate on jp novels. Most jp novels that have a dynamic main character that isn’t all about introducing savages to the holiness of Japanese culture or “wah justice” are well liked. Shield hero and Mushoku Tensei are well liked. I’d assume most people on NUF are older then 12-15 years old which is what most hated on jp novels are targeted to.

TLDR It’s less about it being Japanese and more about who the novels are targeted towards.

Riff likes this.
  17. zarvi

zarvi Ojisan

Reading List:
    Link
    I say there is hate with jp novels here
    I see a lot of new JP novels that get rated 1* even though there is only 1 chapter while the synopsis is not even telling anything and there only few tags.

18. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    It's my opinion, maybe because JP media has become too mainstream to the point most trope in JP novel has become too cliche since it was too much used in anime manga etc.

19. Phoenix Goddess

Phoenix Goddess Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Me.. me.. I want to give my opinion too.
    There are still a lot of good japanese novels out there, but its so Rip that the good one have been license and NU only give the list for the free one.

Btw some example of japanese novel that i like are: To aru majutsu series (science vs magic type), Fate series (This give me a lot of impact o_0), Full metal Panic (I dont like gundam but i like mecha :D), Muvluv series (mecha mecha~), Baka to test (i read this for the luls xD), Boku wa tomodachi ( I luv Loli :v), Monogatari series (Gimme more loli xD)

Anyway the good ones are being license. . . RIP. . .

20. Retrospect

Retrospect Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO, since many JP novels get adapted to games/ manga/ anime, why read the novel then?
    Though many adaptations did not turn up as detailed as the novel, given that majority of its readers falls under the juvenile cohort, they will surely prefer visuals instead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.