Question No racism or nepotism but are most people here "JP novel haters"?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Yuki_Makoto13, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psytoxin

Psytoxin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I find Japanese works rather meeeh. As others have noted, most of the scenarios, stereotypes are way too cliche and overused. Too many tropes. I've stopped reading manga with too much fan service and less content. There are some decent manga still around, but most of their webnovels and light novels are a disaster IMHO. I guess I crave more of The Twelve Kingdoms types of novel. Too few works that are original. Sometimes, I think it's a bunch of boys on puberty writing these harem stories.

Moonlight Sculptor is probably just the only KR novel I read.

I read mostly CN novels lately. They are much more varied, even though most of the MC backgrounds are that of the child of some great general or the prime minister's daughter, some high-ranking official and the likes. Cunning vengeful female leads trampling on their plotting half-sisters, vying for position of empress, seeking one lifetime partner vs Angsty male leads with their unshakeable brotherhood against-the-world, harem of talented females etc. Well there's really more varieties and genres I have declined to explore.

I get a break from reading all those annoying Japanese expressions which reaaaaally tick me off.

2. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm not so much a hater or non hater, what is there to hate.

the only reason why there are bunch of JN stories which are similar is because that seems to be the current trend of things, via the translators.

3. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I like reading fantasy and sci - fi novels. I don't pass Thriller and modern world comedies as well.
    For all I know ,JP novels can be hundreds of times better than KR or CN novels ,but certanly not in those genres.
    I have read other JP genre novels .

But overall ,what I have concluded is this : it's just isn't immersing with all the -chan ,kun every fucking single sentence and when even if I stomach this ,the bullshit idiotic plot-twists executed via one of male MC's five virtues ( Dumb ,Dense ,x%chance of IQ lowering to monkey level,180 turn personality ,being targeted by Lord Disaster ) make me lose brain-cells. An avid reader like me can see the tropes from a mile when reading a JP novel.

I prefer not to read love doki-doki stuff as I have almost no interest in 100% female lead driven stories or whimpy MC's love adventerous.
    That's not to say I don't like this - I have read mangas like Ichigo 100% ,Suzuka ,Angel Densetsu and so on.
    And I have read CN "romance" novels like A virtous wife.

All in all, JP novels have the most BORING template characters compared to CN and KR novels. Coupled with the frustrating plot execution ,it just takes special kind of high-level IQ to stomach the "arara" jokes and dumb Mc's. Which CN and KR have their own variant of ,but it's still overall way better.
    Besides in the fantasy genre, CN and KR characters are fucking badass.

sonhot and Psytoxin like this.
  4. Ars Nova

Ars Nova Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just my viewpoint about things, but
    1. Tastes are subjective to the person itself.
    2. People can and will have different opinions about things, which is absolutely logical and fine.
    3. Diversity exists for a reason, and they are to be respected, not dissed.

All in all, i love JP novels. I read them far more than CN or KR. But it doesn't mean that JP or KR is bad and i hate them. Both are really good, but they're just not my taste. That's it.

If you stereotyped a whole country just because of tropes that you don't like, then you just haven't searched deep enough.

I myself, am not a fan of those isekai transported to another world trope and brainless dense mc, but i found a whole bunch of gems. You just need to search harder.

This also applies to western, CN, KR, and basically all novels from different regions with their overly used tropes:blobokhand:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Barnnn and Ddraig like this.
  5. lafiel11

lafiel11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah ,everyone's taste is different ,but it turns out more people like CN or KR novels than JP ...

otaku31 likes this.
  6. Retrospect

Retrospect Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Statistics/ Proof please….:rolleyes:
    I hope you are not just basing your findings on the reviews/rankings from NU…..:confused:
    I’ve seen many Western/ CN/ JP/ KR bashing their own works, so I can’t really determine which is more popular… but I assume that the adult/ mature/ R18 genre will have the most readers. The proof: Male population. :D

7. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Male =/= hentai lover.:facepalm:
    CN should be the most popular novels in NU, proof from the popular ranking of all time. ( A lot of Completed CN Novels that are still on the reading list, which is the shadow of its peak ( Hype ) state. )

8. Retrospect

Retrospect Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, no, I did not mean Male = hentai lover.:facepalm:
    Read what I wrote carefully, I said R18 will have the most readers, readers =/= lovers. If I'm not wrong, males usually need supporting materials to fap? So I assume R18 will have the most readers... :D
    Well, if you are basing your sample size just on the readers from NU, then you may be right. But I was referring to more of a world view.

9. GDLiZy

Reading List:
    Link
    Then I will argue that Romance has the most reader cause female population.
    Anyway, the readers that we talk here are active readers, not the once in a while one.

10. Retrospect

Retrospect Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes!:eek: You may be right as well. Actually, the point I was trying to make was anyone can make assumptions..... including which novels are the most popular....
    Roger on that. Select the sample size that best supports your point. Good job! (y)

11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha but in all honesty this thread is really dumb .
    The good Japanese novels are NOT FREE.
    The fact that you use amateur on Syosetu to compare to Chinese established authors who are even millionaires is just stupid.
    At least use acclaimed Japanese Epic series like Guin Saga.

You might as well use RoyalRoadL to judge Western literature and ignore J.K Rowling , R R Martin. Sanderson etc
    All I see are frogs in a well

Sharudeis and Rizase like this.
  12. GDLiZy

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, if you use most popular worldwide writers of all time to judge western novels then it would still be the same case as this thread, but on the opposite end.

13. Retrospect

Retrospect Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey cut the frogs some slack will ya? :D
    It’s the dumber things in life that makes you appreciate the better ones.
    Sometimes, I wished I haven’t read those epic works…. then maybe it would have been easier for me to find a novel I can appreciate without lowering my standards…. :(

Wujigege likes this.
  14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, as you yourself said, the problem is that you are reading the wrong genres.
    Of course they can be better in those genres, country of origin doesn't dictate text quality, this is a ridiculous statement.

If you don't like the suffixes that tell a lot more about the relationship between characters than any English equivalent, then that's your problem. *shrugs*

Those are plot twists by the "five virtues" are called bad writing, refine your inner filter and you'll block those novels just by reading the synopsis. Synopses are very good at screaming "Bad Writing!!!!".

The most boring templates exist in all languages, it's up to you to filter them out and avoid the most boring stuff.

And I never said you need to read fluffy romance? Just going away from Male Lead + Isekai (By this I mean both together, they work well separetely) already does wonders for you to get away from those templates.
    Basically this.

*grumbles about the like limit*
    Don't confuse Vocal Minority with people's actual taste.

The biggest amount of novels on NU are still JP novels, and differently from JP ones, it is almost always done by non-native speakers. This speaks by itself.
    *nod nod nod*
    Well, update speed, translation quality, not being taken down by yen press and novel size contribute a lot to it.

But agreed, CN ones are definitely more popular atm.

GDLiZy likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. Moribito is a good example. Japanese authors a prolific. I will confidently say that from the big three Japanese works are the best. Reason? Lack of censorship. Jin Yong was an exception. Chinese works still have censorship. Korean works are a little better but comics were banned as early as the early 1990s. Characters could not smoke. The industry is still in its infancy.
    It is criminal to compare them to Japanese works. There is no comparison.
    I am even getting pissed now. I will fine a good VR or gaming novel from Syosetu and translate and prove these frogs in a well wrong.
    It is common knowledge that Korean comics were pretty much carbon copies of Japanese and hence why the government banned them. Drops Mic!
    @Ai chan @Yukkuri Oniisan

PS Compare Green Skin to Goblin Kingdom

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    Ai chan likes this.
  16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    it insulting for goblin!
    easy don't think at all~

17. HondaFit

HondaFit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Before I started reading CN novels, Japanese novels were all I knew. I took what I could get and enjoyed some. As I started reading more CN novels, I found I was less interested in the Japanese novels. They tend to be rapey. The MC's are often wimpy or dense. I just found I had more in common with the CN MC's than the Japanese ones as time passed.

As for KR novels, there seems to be a cultural disconnect between me and some of the implicit assumptions built into KR works. I'm not saying they're bad but that they just don't speak to me like CN and JN novels do. I have to like the MC to invest in a novel and I find I don't like most KR MC's.

The last JN Novel I really liked was Mahouka but then I realized that the MC was written more like a CN MC than a typical JN MC.

sonhot likes this.
  18. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    There are some really creative gems from Japan that outshine most CN and KR novels....and then a deluge of isekai that read like a 14 year old's masturbatory fantasy or slice of life where "plot" is something the author forgot to come up with.

19. Dsatan

Dsatan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I lost my virginity in novel world from JP novel at bakatsuki

20. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a matter of taste I suppose , most of the JP novels do not suit me but no , I do not hate them just for being JP and because they do not suit my taste as much as I want .
    I move on and try to find something else , if i am asked or i see people asking about a x or y novel then I go ahead and say my opinion but I lay down what I , personally , didn't like in it or like in it if it's the case .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.