Question No racism or nepotism but are most people here "JP novel haters"?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Yuki_Makoto13, Mar 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say yes to that question that is asked.
    Many just hates JP novel because the protagonist tends to be more passive than the hot blooded chinese MC.
    Though theres gems here and there at JP novels, but I guess many wouldnt even give them a try because of the stereotyping of JP isekai that actually is many in numbers.
    People tend to like to insert themself in the novel they read and they want said characters to be OP and agresive.
    Tho the story tends to repeat themself with the same premise, people doesnt seem to get bored of it that easily.
    Me myself am kinda tired of both cliche on both novel types..
    But personally some of the best novel ive redt is a japanese ones.
    So i just keeps trying for whatever that might suit me and drop them early if it doesnt click.
    There are nice ones in chinese novel aswell, I cant really bring myself to ever finish any of em because they tend to be redundant after a few while in order to stall for time and reep money through word counts and repeat reskinned arcs.

AliceShiki likes this.
  2. Zynros

Zynros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would stand behind the idea that it's the novels that people dislike, not the people who write the novels.

Japan has some pretty good novels, and a vast number which I'm never going to read, but it's that way with other China, Korea, and the US as well.

AliceShiki likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I love NTR so I am not the same.
    I don't live vicariously through the protagonist, I see myself as the higher being pulling the strings of the lower beings or as the villain

GDLiZy likes this.
  4. bonifide

bonifide Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me since I've seen so many anime I'm tired of certain type of MCs now. In most Japanese shit now the MC is either strong and dumb or smart and weak. If they are smart and strong it flops.

5. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah because it's popular.
    The Irregular st a High School disagrees with you though.
    Most anime target women these days just like K dramas. Women actually pay for stuff. Most anime like Yamuwashi no pedal are popular for homoerotic undertones. You just have to accept that you are not the target audience, doesn't make the story bad or unsuccessful.
    The Ranbu series with so many otomen is another example.

6. bonifide

Reading List:
    Link
    Irregular highschool is a rare case. I like Yamuwashi no Pedal just so you know well the sports part. Plus I stick to Seinen anime now. I have seen a lot of female leads anime lately. Dragon Ball Super I like fight scenes but Goku is a fucking dumb ass. K-dramas I use to watch them but only historical ones I dont care for modern ones. I've been accepted I'm not the audience I can still criticize. Hell most manga/anime is for Japanese not worldwide.

Most people are just tired of coward male MCs who wont put down danger for good. I believe Goku/Luffy made them type characters popular and everybody copied. Plus look at my avatar Lupin III is goofy as hell but only kills when he has too. It's a reason he keeps getting a movie almost every year and another series. lol

7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Not true. Lupin is simply an icon for both Japanese and Western audiences.
    Don't use the word most, that's incorrect. Humans stick to their habits and the same cliche characters are familiar.
    You miss the most important factors : content creators are too few. We do not have a large company like Qidian to license 100 new Japanese novels.
    I was surprised to find out that Syosetu has a VR section.
    I am personally fed up with translators who interrupt the story mid sentence to share their thoughts, some even with spoilers telling me not to worry that a character won't die or something.
    Most translators are weebos who only translate their fetish. You get a lot of cool Japanese protagonists like Lupin, Cobra etc but 14 year olds won't translate does.
    Until my site gets profitable, I will have to focus on such popular cliche stories too.
    From my research Korean comics doesn't exist, they copied Japanese and that's why it was banned for a while. I can bet that the gaming genre was copied from Japan too.
    At the end of the day, unless you compare Japanese light novels to Korean. It's false equivalence, young kids are to poor to spend $100 on a light novel when they can get web novels for free

PS I cringe when I see the here comes another waifu line

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  8. bonifide

Reading List:
    Link
    Well in gaming sighs Japan cares mostly about mobile tbh. China and Korea still love PC. Well Korean comics are i guess you can call Webtoons and they pretty popular. Even some a lot of them are based on novels. A matter of fact thats how I read LMS novel from reading the webtoon.

Lupin III is popular in some west countries but in the States. His series probably has the best type of comedy with action.

Gaming side Korean does some original things. PS4 and Switch is what is making me still interested in Japanese games. Korean games just take too long to come to the west. When they do come its outdates. I want a game called Lost Ark bad but by the time it comes out I wont care.

9. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    Imo its just a question of quality vs quantity. When you have a bunch of JP novels+manga+games vs very few cn/kr novels (in comparision) its obviously gonna seem better. Everyone gets tired of cliches after a while. But if you look at the raw novels per see, I'd say there's an equal number of good novels in every language.

(I'm a JP TL, so of course I'm gonna be biased)

10. AndyDarren

AndyDarren Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because most of the good JP novels get DMCA save for a few rare gems and then all we're left with is a deluge of webnovels that are basically recycled plots marinated in endless wish fullment and "erotic" novels with synopses that sound downright horrid. I, for one, prefer to keep my novels and my hardcore hentai separate.

11. noriga

noriga Smile ..

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly, jp novel ideas comes from author penjs. Wank wank wank. Thats why the story so filthy.

12. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think there are haters, just a cultural and style preference. I don't know the demographics of these "haters", so my response assumes most of them are male. I'd summarize the distinctive country novels I've read as follows (feel free to comment). None of this covers novels catered to women (which I don't read):

JP novels -- I think the Japs started the trend of isekai (other world travel, which includes anything from reincarnation to VR deep-dive), think it started with .hack (2001?). Protagonists tend to start really weak (complete losers like Mushoku Tensei 2012), or have weak personalities (Sword Art Online 2009, Overlord 2010). The focus seems to be on personal/character/mental growth, not just accumulation of power. The rare counter-examples are Rakuin no Monshou (2008?), RE:Monster (2011).
    The writing style tends to be heavy on prose/flowery sentences and conversation. I don't see much subtext. Or it could just be an issue of lost in translation.
    They also FLOOD the market with the shonen-genre, basically virgin adolescents =/ Lots of associated themes (harem, ecchi, loli, etc).
    So if you don't like weak-willed characters or hate complicated prose, chances are you'd dislike JP novels.

K novels -- Their protagonists may start physically weak, but are mentally strong and have a strong drive to succeed through effort. Likely from the Korean Confucian culture of hardwork and social hierarchies. Writing style may be the complete opposite of JP novels? Very short and succinct, almost like I'm reading a summary at times. Or an issue with translation. Best examples are Legendary Moonlight Sculptor (2007), Reincarnator (2015), Everyone else is a Returnee (2016), Dungeon Defense (2016).
    So if you prefer less conversation, very succinct writing styles, then this may be for you.

CN novels -- Somewhere between JP novels and K novels. Follows the trope of wuxia/xianxia type settings. Some are isekai, some are not. They are designed to be long epics, because Chinese authors are paid by the word, so this results in a LOT OF FILLER text. Very heavy focus on power growth (Dragonball-like), next to nothing on mental development because protagonist usually have superhuman will.
    Examples are Coiling Dragon (2008), Ultimate Evolution (2011), ISSTH (2014), Against the Gods (2014), True Martial World (2015). They started to tone down with The King's Avatar (2014), Ze Tian Ji (2014), I'm Really a Superstar (2014), Cultivation Chat Group (2015), Release that Witch (2016).
    They don't really have shonen? Maybe an exception is Tales of Demons and Gods (2015)? Which brings up a real problem ... blatant pedophilia and absurd emperor-style harems. There are quite a few Chinese authors who have introduced their sick sexual fetishes into their novels. Very annoying. I'm an overseas Chinese, so I don't know if this reflects the preferences of the mainlander Chinese population.
    So if you prefer long epics and marathon reading, this is it.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    AliceShiki likes this.
  13. noriga

noriga Smile ..

Reading List:
    Link
    Long fillers. Hehe. And repetitive. Hehe.

kkgoh likes this.
  14. Barnnn

Barnnn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really, I'd say that they're just assuming everything from Japan is the same based on one or two genres they've read. Most people here are far from what I would call "diverse" readers, so to speak.

AliceShiki, renuac and Wujigege like this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty dumb thread I am surprised it still exists. It is the same as trying to use RoyalRoadL to judge Western media: some of the writers are not even from the West and their grammar is horrible.
    Tssk! Frogs in a well. :blobunamused:
    They think they are so worldly wise. A wise man never calls himself diverse reader wise

16. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly. Japan produces some of the best novelists in the world, but because they don't write light novels and they don't release on Narou, these writers aren't part of this conversation. Instead we're left with a lot of writers who probably wouldn't be able to make it anywhere else.

Wujigege likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Gigguk channel on YouTube is a good channel but again just like Animeman, people consume content in a closed environment , consider fan opinion as fact, especially if they own a YouTube channel.
    Jin Yong is an exception, but there are no contemporary Korean or Chinese authors that have as much critical acclaim as Japanese authors, eg the author of Moribito.
    A guy called Haruka Murakami who has more acclaim in the West than even in Japan.
    It is getting annoying at this point..
    Due to lack of censorship Japanese media has flourished, I don't think Korean which were banning smoking in books not so long ago in the 1990s or 80s and even outright banned comics at a point for corrupting the youth or being too Japanese can compete.
    You still have Chinese stories getting taken down or even dramas blocked for not being patriotic.
    I am not an avid reader of fiction but this is basic information.

kkgoh likes this.
  18. Gigaknife

Gigaknife 1v1 MW, King, No M4, No 725

Reading List:
    Link
    Jp mcs are such dense pussies.

19. Defiant_Deviant

Defiant_Deviant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate the forced comedy and shit in jp novels. Also hate loli's with a f*cking passion.

20. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah. I think theres numerous haters out there..

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.