No Webnovels for a month

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SublimeWay, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck with your 2nd session

2. SublimeWay

SublimeWay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have all the tl:dr been sabotaged or is this new? I actually stopped exactly at midnight so it’s more like CI... because I didn’t quite finish the last chapter of ATG. Had to stop because cold turkey otherwise it’s a really slippery slope down.

3. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, I’ll need it. The key is not to fall into a substitute time waster.

Day 1

Still clean.

Watched an episode and half of America’s Greatest Hero. I just find that show entertaining.

Observed my cat for signs of vomiting. Took her to the vet the day before since she’s been vomiting the last couple days... everywhere. She went ballistic when I tried to put her into the carrier. Completely hyperventilated in the car. First time I’ve seen a cat get an IV. They also gave her a shot of antibiotics and antihistamine. Fed her some pulled chicken today. No throw up but nothing came out the other end either. Her blood work was clean so the vet thinks it’s a hair ball. Picked up some hair ball paste but she didn’t want to eat it. Thought about smearing it on her back but it was really greasy.

Had great plans to study while laying on a hammock in the park. My screen was really washed out in the sunlight though. Then it was cloudy and kind of cold so I went home. Thought about seeing Infinity War but then I had to do some research on summer camps so that ate up about 4 hours.

Probably spent less than 2 hours studying Unity animations, and debugging a script... did watch an interesting VRChat video though. It really has that Ready Player One mashup feel. It’s kind of creepy but also kind of inspirational in that you can create your own avatars and effects. I think it would be hilarious to create a Meng Hao avatar that could send out a Lord Fifth with glowing eyes shouting “fur! feathers! my darling!”

Tomorrow will be more productive... I’ll see Infinity War in the morning then study for at least 4 hours. Will also spend two hours on my VR simulation. Try follow script to bypass clipping, export new objects from Blender for cloth simulation and try pickup in a clean scene. Track solver crash later.

Slayerwolfx2 and mir like this.
  4. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good luck

For your cat, if you end up having to force her to eat the medicine, it might get very difficult (I've tried it before with different cats).
    Sometimes if you forcefully get them to taste a little bit of it, (put a bit on the edge of their mouth or lip) they can become interested and eat the rest willingly.
    There are some different flavored hair ball pastes you can buy, she might be more willing to eat a certain flavor.
    Was smearing it on the fur something the vet said would work? I've never asked one about that, and if it does, it could make things easier for me in the future...
    Hope everything works out with her

5. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks.

The paste had a neutral smell to me at least. It was the only flavor at Walmart. She ate a little bit of it at first then would not eat it at all. Even tried to smear it on pieces of pulled chicken but then she avoid eating the chicken. Eventually I just directly applied it to her mouth but it was very messy, and I’m not sure how much made it in. I rubbed the rest on the back of her paws because I noticed that she licks them a lot. The vet didn’t tell me to do that. I just tried it out of curiosity.

She pooped a little this morning and ate some dry cat food and chicken without puking. Not drinking much water though. Otherwise seems ok for now.

Slayerwolfx2 and mir like this.
  6. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Day 2

Still clean.

Went to see Infinity War at 10am but evidently tickets were sold out for the entire day.

Spent 5 hours learning about animations. Finally have some inkling what the record button is doing... far from perfect but workable. No time was spent on VR simulation. Tomorrow I’ll take another stab at the rigged skinned mesh interactions as well as the chain simulation, and maybe experiment with the solver crash. Sliding a chain through a hoop with any realism is actually pretty complicated.

Thinking about what would make an interesting VRChat avatar. Occurs to me it might be a good place to test ideas.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  7. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Day 3

Still clean

Watched a couple of season 5 episodes of Vikings. Saw Infinity War, still wonder why there are no classic Dr. Strange spells like Crimson Bands of Cytorrak or Flamea of the Faltine... instead we have sling rings. Was there some rights issue with Ditko?

Studied 3 hours. Turns out IK for Unity only works for humanoid rigs. Spent 1 hour messing with the cloth/rope solver. The settings are still rather mystifying. Going to get paid for my first VR gig. Yay! Of course it’s peanuts compared to what I used to make...

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  8. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Day 4

Still clean... technically. Spent 8 hours reading The Wicked Dead (Tome of Bill). Just can’t say no to an Urban Fantasy featuring a bunch of D&D players vs. the supernatural. Also started the next book The Last Coven. This series is just hilarious... although the expletives are so frequent that I subconsciously start using them.

At least there’s a finite supply since these are real books instead of web novels.

Only spent about 3 hours on my VR simulation... still really puzzled by that solver and the funny particle collisions... I’m such a failure... sigh.

9. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Day 5

Still clean.

Spent 2 hours on VR simulation. Think I finally figured out why parts of the skinned mesh disappear. It seems that if the pivot point is too far from the mesh itself it gets culled. There is a setting for always render on the skinned mesh renderer.

Had a phone interview for a more traditional developer position. Also prepping resume, finding people for references and interview for a VR development position in the medical field. Guess going for a regular job is easier than trying to find funding and partnering with others by myself.

Not a very productive day though. Lacking focus.

10. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Day 6

Still clean.

Spent 2 hours creating a new scene that actually builds correctly. Still crashes when all 3 solvers are active. Will try to distill it down to minimum repeatable crash. Is it the VR, is it the solver? I just don’t know.

Spent 5 hours reading The Last Coven.
    Sigh...

Recruiter called about a VR gig at a hospital. Meeting with recruiter tomorrow.

11. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Riding the subway, opened up the translation page by force of habit. Stopped myself just in time. It’s crowded and stifling. Can’t really do anything remotely productive.

It’s like kender hell. Guess my brain can’t really just accept boredom.

12. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Day 7

Still clean.

Watched an odd Korean movie about stealing ice.

Finished The Last Coven which was the end of the series. Yay, closure! I can now move on. Decent ending for the series -especially given that our pipsqueak stalker is still alive.

Meet with recruiter in person. Phone interview for VR dev next Tuesday, and business app dev interview on Wednesday. VR only pays half of business app dev though. Should I hold out for the dream?

Spent about 3 hours on my VR work. Posted my crash details. For some odd reason it crashes more in the editor than in a built exe.

Need to really sink some time into this VR work tomorrow. At least implement alt POI navigation. Also try the code for rope pickup. Aim for 4 hours at least.

Sunday I should go to work day at the range. Haven’t gone there this year as far as I can remember.

13. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Day 8

Still clean.

Spent 2 hours trying to get the code to pick up the rope to work but there seems to be something off about the colliders. Built the VR scene from scratch this time but ultimately it looked like the runtime created colliders do register. Also tried to pass chain through a colliders hoop but it still pops through the collider at times, also got a crash once. Will try increasing substeps on the solver next and also particle density.

Didn’t work on alt nav. Spent maybe an hour reviewing C#. Need to read up on multithreading, and maybe REST, EF and LINQ. Multithreading has always been kind of muddy for me.

Oh where has the tome gone.

14. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Day 9

Still clean.

Spent about 5 hours raking leaves at the range. Lost my Bluetooth earphones in the leaves at some point. I could still see it paired on my phone but I just couldn’t find it :(

Kind of sore. Slept and then spent less than an hour studying. No response thus far on my crash. Need to buckle down tomorrow and focus.

Need 4 hours tomorrow studying and another 4 on the simulation. Have to treat it as a real 8 hour work day. Focus focus focus.

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is simple, use DNS and block novel updates and other sites.
    And tell someone close to you who can monitor you.
    This thread is a waste of time.
    Non of us can hold you accountable.
    Get help from someone who is physically nearby before you regret it.
    Repeating the same failed action for over a year is the definition of MADNESS!!!!!

16. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is that I need online access for productive things, and I’m pretty sure I can bypass a dns block just by using a proxy or one of multiple ISPs or devices that I have that can connect to the internet.

I don’t have a full time babysitter to monitor my actions. It’s pretty impractical for someone to follow me 24/7.

While I’m familiar with your insanity reference, I don’t see a practical solution. I’m also not expecting anyone other than myself to hold me accountable. Perhaps the only effect is to instill a sense awkwardness in myself should I fail to live up to my declared proposed activities.

Ultimately motivation comes from within and no one can actually force it on you once you become an adult (arguable even as a kid). Explains why there’s so many self help books on the subject.

Now maybe you can argue that this is a full blown addiction that needs proper intervention. Perhaps I’m just seeking to commiserate or using this as a distraction to take the edge off.

cocoajuppie likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Motivation comes from within?
    Sorry but that is wrong.
    Humans are social creatures.
    If you think you can solve anything by yourself then you have already failed.
    I never asked you to have a 24/7 babysitter or a babysitter for that matter..
    Your problem is not addiction but you underestimate the importance of relationship with others given our "me me" self involved generation.
    Hedonism is the biggest issue today that is why global warming is even a debate

18. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    Day 10

Still clean.

Spent 3 hours reviewing C# mostly a refresher on validation, background workers and invoke to creator thread, Singleton pattern with thread locking, some regarding cloning via serialization. About 2 hours looking at loading dynamic assets, asset bundles, streaming assets, dicom volumetric data exporters/converters and photon voice CCU. Trilib seems promising, 3DSlice and meshlab might be a viable workflow. Photon uses an appid.

Wasted 4 hours looking at DBZ related videos on YouTube. Seems to be many fan created videos. Guess video editing is so commonly available that they’ve really proliferated. Light of Hope is especially well done. I’ve always felt Goku x Bulma was viable, although more on the Bulma side towards Goku.

No progress on existing VR simulation. Sigh. Rigged models will come on Thurs.

Phone interview tomorrow so I should focus a bit more on dicom and photon tomorroww morning. Python seems to be used for dicom conversion. Are CV libraries useful here? Post phone interview need to prep for next interview on Wed. Need to cram class level thread locking, review EF, LINQ and MVP and MVVM and REST.

Thinking about an Insta360 one. I have a Theta S but the video quality is pretty poor. The bullet time effect looks interesting. Wonder if I can rig up a motor on a pole to spin it at the ideal speed. Wonder if a drone can circle at the correct speed. Hmm... wonder if there are consumer level drones with 360 cameras on them... sigh, current income really limits the amount of toys.

19. SublimeWay

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m pretty sure you can’t really motivate others if they lack the internal motivation. You can certainly force them to do things but without the constant external pressure they’ll just revert back to their regular state.

You may have a point about me undervaluing social aspects. I live alone these days, and tend to only go to events that really interest me. Perhaps on some level I find hanging out with people with dissimilar interests to be awkward and boring.

When you say “hedonism” are you referring to overstimulation? As in there’s always some distraction that can entertain and give you a rush of excitement?

I assume your alias is a ZWJ reference from HSDS?

20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I wasn't referring to ZWJ.
    I will put it very simply
    Humans are like a puzzle with missing pieces you need to find your missing pieces. The internet will not complete you.
    Other humans will , be it friends or lovers.
    To those who taut self dependence and self reliance like yourself
    I recommend volunteering/community service.
    Caring for others is the best way to care for yourself