non white skinned heroine?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by seoktonin, Jul 2, 2022.

1. seoktonin

seoktonin burning eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    KR authors how about a female MC that is by some coincidence or an error in the universe, NOT the color of paper?
    A female mc that does not blend into the area out of the panel.
    Can we stop with the female MCs whiter than white people plz?

like there are tanned mls (no dark/black ones), just “bronze” skin. but what all must i sacrifice for a non white skinned FL?
    is it really too much to ask for?
    for a country so egoistic and “progressive” as SK, i wouldve expected a bit more color combinations really

Saorihirai likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In all fairness, it's to combat the jade beauties fair and square. Besides, fair maidens must fare well, and to say otherwise would be grossly unfair.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. seoktonin

seoktonin burning eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    too much fair for my brain

otaku31 likes this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's but simple fare, easy enough on the mind eyes.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm tell that to the author

6. seoktonin

seoktonin burning eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    how

7. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Dungeon maker
    The Breakers

8. deadlyexistence23

deadlyexistence23 ❝ And maybe, for a while that was true ❞

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, if it's a manhwa and romance at that, it's very unlikely, it's just natural to have an mc to have the same beauty standards as the place where they've come from. (Ofc u get that petite mc with porcelain skin) And tbh.. does it really matter? Just enjoy the story~
    Well i knew certain female characters who have dark skin but they're not the mc, they're side characters.

9. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh, the target audience for those novels is their fellow Koreans. :blobpeek: It would be silly for them to cater for their non-paying readers. :blobwoah:

10. seoktonin

seoktonin burning eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    official translations exist yk?
    and its not that i dont get that they have beauty standards of being super fair
    its more like when someone calls them out on it they act extremely offended and say that they never look down on people with dark skin and are not racist.
    no one really calls them out either.

11. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, but most of their income is still coming from their Korean readers. Besides, how many Korean authors have official translations of their work?

I would be annoyed too if I created a character based on my preference and someone accused me of racism. So, if someone prefers big breasts, are they discriminating against women with small breasts?

Nightow1 and FIEND like this.
  12. seoktonin

seoktonin burning eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    since most of their income is coming from korean readers im sure they could throw in a couple non white characters which are not slaves and not evil.
    personally i believe breast size is the worst comparison you could give for what im talking abt lol, the point is, the korean gp is okay with reading a slave dark skinned ml but god forbid a non white female mc exists.

13. ongoingwhy

Reading List:
    Link
    Uh, I don't get your reference. I don't read Korean novels.

I was pointing out that the characters are based on the author's preference and there isn't a conspiracy among Korean authors to exclude dark-skinned female leads. A person's skin tone is just as non-consequential as breast size. Personally, I find it amusing how people are so obsessed with skin tone. Take away the skin and all humans look alike underneath.

Nightow1 likes this.
  14. seoktonin

seoktonin burning eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    i agree, skin color isnt the biggest problem in the world and i wouldnt care if it was 99/100 korean authors who make their female mcs white, its 100/100 lol, its just a thing i noticed, nothing deep

ongoingwhy likes this.
  15. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    JP is surprisingly better at this. Cn and kr are still stuck in

[​IMG]

Wujigege and seoktonin like this.
  16. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember this one
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-villainous-celebrity-wife-of-the-ceo/
    With tanned MC.. and yeah the title is a red flag but it's kinda funny novel but ML's narcissist ass just had to ruin the story

Yeah, tell that to the authors themselves who like to push white skin as the superior beauty standard and likes to stigmatize dark/tan skin stone. I've seen so many CN/KR novels that when characters described being ugly, they described it as having dark skin tone. Like maybe hide your colorism a bit

seoktonin likes this.
  17. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope you realize that most countries will do self inserts. it doesn't fit their audience to put up a dark skin mc, and by your own post- arent you the racist? "no black skin" . With your own logic, arent you racist for having a preference for tan and no Black or White skin? preference also does not equate to racism.

There have been tan colored mc's before. There are a few stories where it takes place in a middleast/india fusion fantasy culture. and those stories have been good- just flopped in the Korean market.
    authors will go for what has already worked.
    it doesnt help that foriegners are also self colorists. it is well known to have actors and actresses be "white skin, or fair" in countries like india, pakistan and parts of south america- where the average population is tan in skin tone. my point being, that most authors around the world seem to aim for "light colored" main cast. so it will be harder for you to find manhuas, mangas, cartoon books with tan main cast. esp in countries like the east that have a preference for jade skin tone.

In anycase, you really are looking for a needle in the haystack. but if you want "brown" culture with some "brown" skin tones try Amina and the Lamp

Wujigege and ongoingwhy like this.
  18. seoktonin

seoktonin burning eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    i already read amina of the lamp and the female mc is still white in lmao but atleast its got a lot more diverse cast, reason why its one of my favourites.

and idk how you got that i have a preference of "tan" skin? never mentioned anything like that cause i dont lmao.
    and atleast the countries are changing the media's glorification of white skin but sk wont even try lol, the only way they accept tan skin in their country is if they are for comic relief or a "rapstar", extremely prevalent in the kpop community.

idk why youre taking this so personal lol, its not that deep and just a thing i noticed about how they go out of their way to avoid a tanned fl even if shes living in the middle of the desert with no sunscreen.

i remember sultan's love that was in middle east, every person was colored except the female mc who was the epitome of beauty and yup, white.
    its a problem not a preference lmfao

god i remember this cn novel that had female mc living in a village and when she came back to the capital everyone was like shes so dark and ugly and blah and then her mom took her to salons and got her whitewashed and everyone was like she finally looks human like DUDE?????????????

Wujigege likes this.
  19. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    my bad misread.
    but Vampire Reverie on webtoons by lifelight has a tan colored mc. I think thats what the title was

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    Wujigege likes this.
  20. ansusta

ansusta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    asian novel = asian beauty prespective

Nightow1 likes this.