Recommendations Nonsensical seeming novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by pass1478, Jun 7, 2021.

1. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Looking for novels that are very chaotic and nonsensical, at least on the surface. Where there are a whole cast of weird and nonsensical characters, chaotic scenarios, nonsensical arcs, chaotic plot, yadayada. Nisio Isin's works can be a good example, FLCL can also be a good example, same with Mekaku city actors, but I don't think Serial experiments Lain or Evangelion is a good example since I'm not looking for something with that kind of atmosphere. The atmosphere I'm looking for is "fun", not necessarily fun where only good and happy things happen, but fun as in 'interesting' and 'exciting', not just confusing and chaotic. If possible, I would also like it if the main character was a straight man (not sexuality, but the comedic role) in direct contrast to the things that are happening around him/her. With all that being said, the best examples would be Haruhi Suzumiya, Zaregoto, and the Monogatari Series.

Ddraig likes this.
  2. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  3. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Too much moving around for me and not episodic enough for me, and the fact that strength, in the end, is what matters most there kind of puts me off. Also, I already finished that. Great novel.
    Not confusing enough. Fun as funny as hell, but there barely is that element of "WTF?"

5. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Adventure Time, Steven Universe, Uncle Grandpa

6. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    In Anime, K-Project. The start was pure chaos tbh.

In novels + anime,
    • Baccano!
    • Durarararararararararararararararararara
    • Horizon in the middle of nowhere
    • Owari no Chronicle (less chaotic then Horizon)
    • Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?
    • Shin Sekai yori
    • Zaregoto (you mentioned it already though)
    • Toaru can get chaotic but the chaos is not in the same level as like Baccano
    • Monogatari & Suzumiya chaos is mostly the way it is told tbh
    • Date A Live, sorta, the start is a bit of a chaos that honestly sorta gets completed at like vol 11
    • Tantei wa Mou, Shindeiru, (it is giving me the vibes but I am waiting for the anime. Yes I got hard-baited by the Origami-esque face in the pv)
    • Mondaiji Tachi

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
  8. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Novels
    Already read that. Ty still
    I mean, in K, it was only ever confusing on the first few episodes when we were suddenly thrown into a chaotic start will all that shit that was going on, but we already kind of knew the gist of things after a few episodes. The mystery, personally, wasn't all that... enticing to me, it didn't really make me curious. Good anime still.

As for Baccano and Durara, yeah, they're really good examples of what I want, sadly, I already read them.

Horizon in the middle of nowhere wasn't really mysterious, well apart from the MC, at least for me. It's been years since I read that, though, so I can't be too sure.

For Kumo desu ga, same reasoning with what I said about Crazy Lich, and I also already read that.

Haven't heard of Shin Sekai yori, but it looks interesting, may check it out later. Ty for the reccs.

Ddraig likes this.
  9. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    I updated the list, check it again.

10. NO-USERNAME

NO-USERNAME Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    But that was only ever on the much later parts, early to middle parts, we were absolutely clueless as to whatever was what, or whoever was who.
    Honestly, in terms of story progression, it's the exact opposite of what I want, where I want the mystery and chaos to start at the very beginning, or at least close to it. In Toaru, it's the reverse, it starts off pretty tame, but becomes increasingly confusing and chaotic on the later volumes. I know that's the story progression of most action novels, but Toaru's has a charm to it that I can't really explain. Also, already read that.
    No major mystery. Already read that, one of my faves still.
    Haven't heard of this one, looks intersting though. May check it out later. Ty for the reccs
    Hated the protagonists, dropped it. That was a couple years ago, though, may give it another chance.

Ddraig likes this.
  12. Fuyuneko

Fuyuneko winter cat

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbf "5 years ago" was a major mystery till Origami's arc.

I also added Owari no Chronicle, it is in the same universe as Horizon (in the AHEAD era as opposed to Horizon's GENESIS era), has equally wacky chars. (Although I have kind of forgot the plot a bit, the heroine has mysterious past + lost memories + changes gender every 12 hours or something (not sure about this part, been a while), the past generation has done some wild shit to the point they are considered villains by basically everyone (mc's grandfather and co I believe?) and there is a mystery that ends only at end of the ln.

No idea how good is "The detective is already dead" btw

14. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
    To Be a Power in the Shadows

15. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah apologies, i just recommend those as they somewhat fit. What about the Anime Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo which is just complete chaos.

16. ContohBuruk

ContohBuruk New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Recommend
    How To Raise Your Reggresor

Mc is very messy and needs brain therapy

But This Novel Is Awosome

17. orangethegreatorange

orangethegreatorange Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How about Kekkai Sensen? It has been awhile since I watched it but Trigun might be a fit too.