Noticed some 1 star reviews being removed

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by OxySempra, Aug 15, 2021.

1. OxySempra

OxySempra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Two of the novels I added to NU I recently noticed had all their 1 star review counts removed.

Not that I am complaint obviously, but I was just wondering why it happened. The only thing that I suspect could be the case is that these 1 star ratings was there maybe within an hour after the first chapter was released.

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    it could just be the 1-star rater changed their mind and chose other number

3. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That sucks but I guess I'm alright with bad reviews being removed if the review says that the reviewer read only 5 chapters out of like 1000. That actually affects us the readers since we are less likely to find good novels because of that.
    But there could also be some shady play involved. Who knows. I can't judge when I don't know.

But I'm more likely to believe its the former since it's a translated novels site, translators mostly pick up what they like or what people are interested in and they can move on to others when they get bored. It's more flexible than writing your own novels so manipulating reviews become less of an only choice type of thing for making money off of your work.

OxySempra likes this.
  4. OxySempra

Reading List:
    Link
    Unlikely for multiple 1 star reviewers to change their mind at the exact same time over multiple novels (that I am aware of, could be more) to change their mind. Also if they did change their mind, it went from 1 star to no stars at all

I agree!

Personally, I only translate novels that I would enjoy reading. I don’t really care if others would like it.

I mean, what’s the point of translating a popular series, but hating every moment of the story as you translate? Haha

5. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    unless you can say which novels they were, not much i can tell you other than sometimes series got reported for possible troll/clone/malicious rating, other times tony might've delete some clone accounts, and with it, gone are their ratings. there are also cases where the novel page was merged with other page, so the rating didn't get carry over.

Shio, Rumby, AliceShiki and 1 other person like this.
  6. OxySempra

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, the novels I noticed happening were the ones released by me recently. I guess they are probably accounts that got deleted for whatever reason. Thanks for the reply though!