Recommendations novel about apocalypse (like The Defective Hermit)

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by zen2451, Jul 25, 2019.

1. zen2451

zen2451 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have any stories either on RR or other platforms that are similar to The Defective Hermit, please share.

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  2. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any short summary or points for people who haven't read that story?
    The description on rrl isn't telling much, so I'm just going to toss Shovels in Spades out (also on rrl)
    Would the Legend of Radidly Ghosthound or how it was called count?

3. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't read it yet, more explanation please.

4. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Defective Hermit is a story about a man who, after life sh*t all over him, won the lottery and went to live in the countryside. Thing is, just after moving, the world got a system and a warning that they're going to have an apocalypse in a month or so. MC goes "Well, sh*t, I'll fortify my place in the month remaining" and does so, preparing to live alone on his extensive property that he stuck a chainlink fence around as a hermit. Things don't go to plan, and he ends up accidentally building a small kingdom due to being a nice guy. His generosity doesn't stop him from calling himself a grumpy old b***ard, though. His attitude does start to cut through some red tape those who work under him attempt to build up out of "respect for his position", though.

Author kept the story semi-random with dice rolls to determine results of explorations, otherworldly "visitors" the MC and his people run into, and things like that.

5. ky_s

ky_s Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeing 'litrpg' tag i went to the site, checking the summary.. found somewhere what it was about : it is some kind of Victorian steampunk comedy with system setting in some kind of survival apocalypse. No harem I think. It lost me at steampunk...

Seems humans had to turn to magical steampunk inventions after apocalypse rendered the current technology useless.

6. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    They had to return to steam-power after electricity stopped working due to the System. As for Harem... the MC does gain three or so "wives" who practically force their way into his home. I think at least one of them is the parent of a child he adopted, or at least basically uses the children he adopts as a method to do so. MC himself has some trust issues after life sh***ing on him, particularly since his wife and daughters was a major contributor to the sh**storm that messed up his life previously.

ky_s likes this.