Discussion Novel chapters filled with "bickering dialogues, monologues, daydreaming sequences" ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SummerMascot, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummerMascot

SummerMascot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you able to tolerate when author devotes multiple chapters filled with
    • Bickering dialogues from side characters.
    • Monologues from everyone.
    • Scenes of daydreaming about what-ifs scenarios.
    • Flashbacks
    • Or drug-induced hallucination sequences (fully decorated with rainbowish, psychedelic backdrops and bollywood-dancing characters?)
    • "Inventory/Loot update" and "Level-up/Status Text Spam"
    that doesn't advance the plotline for uncompleted-ongoing (raw or in-translation) novels?

I know the acceptable ones are those that do not last beyond 2 pages for each character or is just restricted to POV chapters like:
    • Overlord: Sasuga Ainz sama sequences, Satoru Suzuki monologues, enemy-slighting-insulting-team-Ainz, side-char-discovering-Ainz-is-OP

Cringy ones are like:
    • Overlord: Climb-trying-to-get-stronger sequences
    • Arifureta: Loli waifu bickering on how to r*pe MC whenever possible.
    • LMS: Weed japtem and unprofitable questlines sequences.
    • Overgeared: Greed's ongoing bad-luck in the initial phase (before he gets "plastic surgery"?)
    • Nidome no Yuusha: Flashbacks
    • The New Gate: Worshiping sequences for Nippon-Danji-Samurai-MC and Yamato-Nadeshiko-waifu-candidates
    • "Inventory/Loot update" and "Level-up/Status Text Spam" after initial phase of any Level-up genre Novel.
    • Repeated reminders from CN author that xianxia/xuanhuan MC can defeat opponents who are 2(early phase) to 9(after 1,000 chapters) sub-levels higher than MC.

Unacceptable ones:
    So how's your tolerance threshold so far?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    AMissingLinguist and Sabruness like this.
  2. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    I skim those novels, I don't read them.

It's not difficult to spot those novels. Even if it isn't noticeable from e.g. chapter count, like for example for Tempest of the Stellar War or some novel like that, you quickly start recognizing some specific authors. And it's often easy to notice like 10 chapters in.

All in all, it's terrible writing, but if I want my cheese then I want my cheese. I'll take the mold with it if I have to.

3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    you mean filler content?
    I read but not remember it until it mentioned for have something related to plot or character grow
    really easy to deal with it
    19656.png

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I rarely read books for their plots so whether a particular chapter advances it or not isn't all that important. What's a bigger deal is the actual content: is it entertaining? Does it develop the world? Does it do anything interesting character wise? Is it actually funny? Does it show something clever? Is there any emotional impact? Are there any poignant or profound bits? Does it spark the reader's imagination?

A chapter that does any of these is vastly better than a chapter that advances the plot in a boring Sure, a chapter that doesn't advance the plot and doesn't do anything else of interest is worse, but in general, focusing on just the plot is still one of the most shallow ways of examining a story.

5. Maelstrom08

Maelstrom08 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can agree with most of those as annoying but not the rpg things.
    Sure they happen a lot and chapters can be filled with them, but that doesn't lower the amount of actual content in each ch. With how it is, it feels like an actual player within a rpg, unlike a normal fantasy series. Take Overlord which used to be an rpg, but then ainz got transported into the world, where it was a normal fantasy. There is no pop-ups for quests and such. Then take LMS where weed is actually a player within the rpg, it shows all of those GUI screens. It shows quests, rewards, equipment, etc. It actually feels like a rpg rather than a usual fantasy.

6. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    overlord LN has tons of filler content

there are huge chapters filled with nothing but characters backstories and monologues that are just irritating to read especially that part about the adventurers who die after being having chapters of backstory and introduction....

and then later on u read about seb's adventures and then the focus shifts to that princess guard who has nothing to do with the storyline......

7. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I have ever read a character getting high before. Perhaps I just read the wrong kind of novel

8. SummerMascot

SummerMascot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Possible scene triggers: Author-Got-High-In-Real-Life, Aphrodisiacs, Pills/Elixirs, Unknown-Fumes, Unknown-Fauna-Flora, Mysterious-Balls-of-Light, Bottles-of-Mysterious-Liquids and Bottles-Labelled-Drink-me count also.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.