Novel, manga, or anime.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pass1478, May 13, 2020.

1. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's say that there's a story you want to watch/read, and this story has a novel, manga, and anime.
    In which medium will you first watch/read this story?

(Not including visual novels, audiobooks, and god-forsaken live adaptations.)

Edit: Personally, I would always go for the novel. Mangas and animes focus on the visuals and audio, splitting some of the attention from the story. They, to me, also limit my imagination in a way. I like to visualize characters, scenes, places, etcetera in my mind, rather than it be already visualised. Doing so allows me to mold said character, scenes, etcetera to my ideal form.

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Chuki Yuuki, imK and WhyDidIDoThis like this.
  2. WhyDidIDoThis

WhyDidIDoThis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel-manga-anime, same order you wrote them down lol

imK likes this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Either the novel or the manga but I wouldn't start with the anime :hmm:

imK likes this.
  4. Coffea to Ell

Coffea to Ell 【❀ Sleepy Bunny ❀】

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel.... :blob_coffee:

imK likes this.
  5. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    novel, then manga, then anime.

anime just stretches it out way too much

imK likes this.
  6. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends. If it is Ufotable or Kyoto I would just watch the anime/movie and be done with it.

imK and Uncopyright like this.
  7. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Manga is the lightest read. If it have interesting plot then I'll search the novel version. I wouldn't really bother to try watch their anime unless it has good animations since tv broadcasts have a very strict guidelines.

imK likes this.
  8. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally speaking. No specifics.

imK likes this.
  9. Usarin

Usarin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how much of novel/manga is translated

imK likes this.
  10. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's say that all are at the same part of the story, completed or not.

imK likes this.
  11. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the source material. If it started as a novel, I'll probably take a look at the manga read to see if it's good and if I'm interested in it, I'll read the novel. I only start with the anime if I don't know it started from a novel/manga, unless it started as an anime original and got manga and novel adaptations. And if I read/watch the source material, it's quite unlikely that I'll read/watch the adaptations, unless it's something that you can enjoy more as an anime (music manga for example.)

imK and pass1478 like this.
  12. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    True, true. But let's say that you don't know what the story is all about, if it is an adaptation, if it got adapted, etc. It's a blind pick between the three. What would you start with?

imK likes this.
  13. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've had experiences in watching first anime and then novel. It was horrible and I dropped both.

I used to like soul land anime S1 but the S2 onwards it became more cringe worthy so I thought I'll give the novel a try, but I couldn't even get past 1chapter.

Then Ze tian ji, my god it was the first Chinese dongua I loved the art style and the poetic feel, but it was quite fast paced there so I didn't know what I was getting into when I tried the novel, I dropped it somewhere in 20's.

So I prefer reading the novel first, like what i did with ST, martial ancestor. And then I loved the anime even if it was flawed.

imK likes this.
  14. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime first, if it's good then i would read the novel for deeper understanding of the story.

imK likes this.
  15. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always go for the novel first, then manga, because sometimes there are some big differences between the two, especially in Chinese manhua where they make it more kid-friendly (people don't die when they should or some strange mascot animal is added that doesn't exist in the story, or they throw in fart jokes in what should be a serious moment, etc). after that would be the anime version because those are usually made after the novel and manga have started/completed and gained popularity, and sometimes the season ends in the middle of the novel and season 2 never comes out. if I'm bored I'll look and see if they have a live-action version and watch that, but those are usually pretty bad (The Untamed being an exception since they actually followed the plot of the novel).

imK likes this.
  16. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends of what is the original source, if it was a novel that got an anime or manga adaptation I would go for the novel, in the same way if the original source is another medium.

imK likes this.
  17. blues86

blues86 [Pickle's numba wan follower]

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel first, then manga, then anime..

imK likes this.
  18. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mhm, then it depends on the genre. If it's a story about music, anime. Comedy, probably manga, but maybe anime as well (not sure here.) I haven't read comedy novels (or novels mostly about comedy) so can't really say if I would enjoy them or not. For fantasy stories with world building or really good and in depth lore, I would probably choose the novel. There are some anime which are done really well (right now can only think of Made in Abyss) so it's not set in stone, but for fantasy, probably novel(while not fantasy, I would put steam punk, scify,etc. basically things that could use good explanations, in this box as well).
    For the other genres, I don't have any real preferences. Romance, for example. I really don't mind if it's a novel, manga or anime, unless the art in the manga is godly. Then I'll devour the manga first, then whatever other medium that has more content than the manga.

Still, I usually tend to keep to only one medium. There are exceptions though. If I start a manga that doesn't have many translated chapters, and I loved the story, I'll read the novel it is based on. If it doesn't have a novel, I cry. Anyways, the above is what would happen in an ideal world, but I will usually watch an anime and if I really like it, I'll read the manga and ditch the anime. In anime adapted from novels it has only happened twice iirc. High school DxD and Nejimaki Seirei Senki – Tenkyou no Alderamin, but didn't ditch the anime (novel was way better though.)

imK and pass1478 like this.
  19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The original medium, always.

If I really like it I can consider going for the adaptations, but I usually won't.

imK likes this.
  20. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel or Manga (depends on what the original source or if it got translated)

Anime will always be the last for me or i don't bother with it.

GoneGretel and imK like this.