Novel Pickup Rule should be revised

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by ArtOfDivine, Jul 4, 2018.

1. ArtOfDivine

ArtOfDivine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    “Please wait at least three months(or dropped by translator) from the last release before you post your request.“

3 months or 90 days novel pick up time period is simply too long

Some translators have simply stopped working on the novel and released a chapter or two every 3 months.

With this rule a translator can choose to hold on to a popular novel and post 4 chapters a year without any explanations to the readers.

I understand that life circumstances might prevent a translator from posting regularly, however constantly abusing this rule is harmful to all readers.

Mods please relook into this rule.

P.S: English is not my first language so please excuse my grammar.

Rarylith, Lianna, alamptr and 2 others like this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    90 days plus a certain release average > 3-9 so it's at least 1 chapter a month lol.

Shio and FHandsome like this.
  3. Delusion

Delusion Dark lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Most translators don't take request unless they sort things out with previous translators.

runsing likes this.
  4. ArtOfDivine

Reading List:
    Link
    Some translators just stop translating and camp on the novel just so that no one else can pick it up. Just make 4 chapters in stock and post it every 3 months.

5. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been told that the 3 month rule is ONLY for the pick up request, a translator can still pick it up and be listed as long as they do the stuff you need to do to be listed. I don't think the rule should be changed, but it should be more clear about what it means, and it's also kinda hard to find, so if just they changed the entire way the rules are listed, that would be enough imo.

Arcturus, isecai, sidtz and 9 others like this.
  6. ArtOfDivine

Reading List:
    Link
    But it’s just a social norm now amongst translators to wait 3 months. Also without pick up requests threads, it hurts the chances of a “dead” novel from being picked up.

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    We have rules here? besides rule 34 i mean. :blobpeek:
    Anyway, you should be allowed to casually make a topic about wanting someone else to pick it up, without a mod moving it to pickup requests and telling you off right after for it not being 3 months yet. For instance a topic where you'd be able to discuss issues with current translator leading to you seeking someone else; i.e. usage of 'ur' , mistranslations or blatant copy paste MTL.

8. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, a novel beind dead due to the translator not being active have a bigger chance of getting picked up than a novel not yet translated, since it already have a following and a page on NU. As i said, as far as i know, a translator can pick up an ongoing novel, as long as they do the stuff that you need to do to be considered an anctive translator. You're right about the fact that most translators still wait the 3 months, but that is due to the fact that the rules are hard to find as i said, so many translators think you actually need to wait, so if just the rules where more clear and easier to acces, i think that would help.

Well, i'm noy 100% sure if what i'm saying about the rules is correct actually, since again, rules are hard to find imo, so all i've said might be complete bs without a mod affirming it.

9. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    NU rules.JPG
    The rule on Pick up Request is less of a rule and more of an understanding. I the end, TLs CAN pick up anything, as long as the above rules are satisfied.

LaDyViL, runsing, Shio and 3 others like this.
  10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel Pickup Request Rules
    Novel Policy
    @Tony
    FAQ
    I told ya to add NU/NUF Frequently Asked Questions on NUF menu
    that just ethic guideline not law and ethic well not so hard to break it cuz enforcement quite meh
    reader can scream here and there to attract new translator for dead thing
    sure drama may come
    or not at all

Shio, Zalpha, kenar and 4 others like this.
  11. RebirthofNovel

RebirthofNovel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    New Translators can translate it but they can't publish their updates in novelupdates.
    NovelUpdates has no right or ownership over novels, only qidian or others might have ownership of the said novel.

12. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    forum's rules thread is literally two clicks away. three if we count click on sub-menu in that thread

rul.jpg

but i do agree with the lazy cat on shaving one of the clicks, by having it on the top menu bar.

CodeZero, LaDyViL, Wujigege and 3 others like this.
  13. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly i'm fine with the current 3 month rule
    translators are people too and we're just leeches anyways

14. Nocta

Nocta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the 3 months rule. Sometimes in life things happen. If the novel you've painstakingly translated got "picked up" by someone else while you just needed a bit of time it can be very frustrating. I've seen case where the original translator wasn't dead for 3 months yet, just getting a bit slow, someone else picked the novel, translated many chapters, only to drop it later and now it's completely dead. Even the original translator doesn't have the motivation to finish it. In other words, the 3 months rule is our basic courtesy rule.
    As for the cases you were talking about (only releasing one chapter/3 months) if people are unhappy then they should simply retranslate everything from the beginning and overtake the original translator. No one can complain then.

Fuyuneko and runsing like this.
  15. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *pukes*

Who cares about the 3 month rule, seriously. Just write a pickup request when it's clear that nothing's been happening for a while. If it's not licensed who cares about how many people translate at once, the old TL can just come back and resume, fans will pick the better one

16. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    why should translators wasting their time translating the same chapters and post it individually when they can work on another novel they want to translate?

GM_Rusaku and runsing like this.
  17. BlaszczeM

BlaszczeM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's all well and good, but when a translation stalls for more than 90 days (like Heavenly Star for example), and then the translator magically comes back, posts a couple of chapters, and then is gone again, then the rule is harming the community. Since Heavenly Star wasn't picked up, the translator cane back after 100+ days, posted a few chapters, and then is gone again, probably to come back after another 100+ days to keep their monopoly on what they're "translating"

ArtOfDivine likes this.
  18. pkhyber

pkhyber Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am fine with 3 month rule as it does not disallow other translators from picking up series.
    And translating still is not full time job and many translators are students who have their exams which easily takes up 1-2 months depending upon schedule. You wouldn't want to destroy a career over few chapters.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    runsing and Shio like this.
  19. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    The entire community is transitioning from hobby translations to doing it for money so that applies less and less over time.

20. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You see, the 3 month rule is only for I am looking for forum. NU didn't hold any power noor we try to prohibit anyone from picking up the series. It really is up to the translator.

Even NU have different set of rules btw.

LaDyViL, Blitz and runsing like this.