Discussion Novel Review Opinion

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Renaxan, Oct 7, 2019.

?

do you write a review on novel? Mostly for what reason?

1. Encourage for people to read the novel

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Give a people warning about what happen aka spoiler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. For self satisfaction, Everytime i feel like to write

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. To show people my perspective (opinion) about the novel i've been read

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  5. Novel that give me disappointment and bad impression

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. When i find novel doesnt really deserve the popularity and bad taste

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  7. Didnt really write any novel review

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. Other reasons

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Renaxan

Renaxan [Ero Culture Enthusiast]

Reading List:
    Link
    As enthusiast novel reader, sometimes im also write a review whenever the novel give impression, whether its bad or enjoyable. Now i have been write more than 100 reviews and im curious about some stuff.

1. Do you have trying write a review to any novel? Also when you write a review, after novel completed or its based on your own hunch?

2. When you guys try start a new novel to binge, do you check other people reviews? Are other review really helpful in some way when you start reading?

3. Its based by my analyze but why bad, rant review to novel somehow get most liked review everytime? Even more they just read not that deep into novel. Some even just rant only about novel mc and author brain and not really a review. I have been really wondering.

aceclover95 and KukiAme like this.
  2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure what you are asking, are you asking if people write their review before novel is completed or after?

I do read reviews, obviously not every review but enough that I get the general idea of the concept of the novel.

Of course there are many cases where reviews are wrong. I really wish there was an ability to comment on reviews.

That is why I prefer to write counter reviews that clarify all the top reviews on things they may be misleading.

Well, first of all, reviews that are older have an advantage of getting likes. By nature more people see them and are more likely to like them.

But yes, it is common that a lot of poor reviews get top rating because what they say sounds correct early on, but as you progress in the novel you realize that they were totally wrong and simply basing on their baseless assumptions.

3. KukiAme

KukiAme Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Not really. Either i love it / hate it. After i reading all translated chapter available
    2. Yes. I usually start reading low rating review first, (if it make sense)
    3. Its not review its just "venting"

Renaxan likes this.
  4. Little Happiness

Little Happiness Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would write reviews based on if the novel is moving or not, to summarize: If it's better than average or worse than average. As a reader, I don't review about the characters, the cliches, I mostly focus on the character development and the plot. There's bound be writing tropes so I tend to ignore it because everyone deserves a chance

5. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    My thoughts on reviews

1) Do I sometimes write reviews, yes. And if so, is it before or after I complete the novel. A little bit of both, I mostly read ongoing novels, and unless I have a whim to write a review, then I do so based on mood. Otherwise I'd just write my review after finishing a completed novel.

2) Yes and No, again this goes based on the genre I read or how many chapters have been published. Anything Under 20 Chapters, I don't really read the reviews for. And usually anything over, I take a casual glance.

3) Currently, I'd concur that the novel review system isn't perfect and is highly reflected on groups that follow a certain niche genre. Some people are openly hostile towards certain themes and genre, unfortunately there is no way to filter reviews based on their star rating (similar to Amazon). But on the otherhand, some users have provided eloquent reviews which provide a neutral stance on their likes and dislikes about said novel.

6. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    I write a review if it tugs on my emotions ( laughter, heart fluttering, sadness, hatred etc)

7. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually write reviews only when I feel very strongly about a novel, whether it's that I thought it was incredibly good or incredibly bad. I almost always skim the reviews before I read, but I tend to skip them more if I really like the summary. As for why rant reviews get a lot of likes... I think usually the things that bug those readers are common among other readers so they get lots of likes. But for the readers it doesn't bother, of course they won't write anything about it... ^^'

8. Kiskaiya

Kiskaiya 【Let’s pretend】

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I would wait until after I finished reading it to review it. The only reason I would review it before it was completed was if it truly was horribly written and condoned subjects that shouldn't be condoned, such as rape victim turned lover.
    2. I do check the reviews before I add a novel to my read list, mainly because the reviews can usually clarify tags that might put me off the novel, such as the rape tag. It's been pretty helpful.
    3. A lot of people don't write a review on the quality of the book, but an opinion piece instead.

9. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually don't review any novels accepted the one that, in my opinion, truly worth reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.