News Novel Updates Extension for Chrome and Firefox

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by infinity, Dec 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. infinity

infinity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    UPDATE V1.1
    • Extension Ported to Firefox. (Link)
    • Auto Import Reading List. (Just open your reading list page and click on the import button which pops up)
    The feature has been added to the chrome version as well and it was updated. (here)

=====================================================================

Hi Guys, Merry Christmas!

Here is my Christmas gift to all of you guys:
    Novel Updates Chrome Extension

It completely free and open source. You can find code for it here. Please do contribute if you can.

It can do the following things:
    • Search for novels directly from the extension.
    • Subscribe to novels.
    • Gives updates when new chapters come out for subscribed novels.
    • Open new chapter pages directly from the extension.
    • Manage subscriptions in the options page.

Workflow:
    1. You open any novel page (eg: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/a-will-eternal/)
    2. A button pops up on the bottom right of the screen to Subscribe to the novel.[​IMG]
    3. Once you click on it you're done. Next time when there is a new chapter releases you'll get a notification. You can also manually check for updates.[​IMG] [​IMG]
    4. You can directly open the new chapter from the extension itself. [​IMG]
    5. If you want to unsubscribe from a novel you can click on "Settings" in the extension and it will take you to a page listing all your subscriptions. You can unsubscribe there.

I have spent many sleepless nights on this. After long last, this is completed. Though this is just V1 and a basic version. More new features and fixes will be added and it will keep improving over time.

If you want to support me, you can buy me some coffee here.
    Or become a patreon here.

Looking forward to your suggestions and comments.
    Infinity.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    Mantoff, Bad Storm, Kuro_0ni and 14 others like this.
  2. Darkaeluz

Darkaeluz 『Whosays25 Onii-chan』, 『He who gave up on Love』

Reading List:
    Link
    awesome!!!!!!... sadly I use Firefox so I can't really use it, even though it isthe same webextension TT-TT

FranckOA likes this.
  3. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    >OP Doesn't even use dark theme for NU. I thought we could be friends, but alas.

Bad Storm and EkusuPlosion like this.
  4. infinity

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just the beginning. I would be adding themes to the settings page and many other features. So don't worry. :p

5. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    since when is there a dark NU theme? NUF, yes of course, but NU has always only had the white screen??? how else would I have missed sth like this?

Donutmindme likes this.
  6. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This'll potentionally take site visits away from NU tho, indirectly costing them ad rev. Like it seems like a pretty nifty thing, but also a bit ungrateful imo.

7. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    I use opera tho

8. infinity

Reading List:
    Link
    That is not the intension though. I would like to limit it as much as possible and maybe provide link to the novel update page directly. I was also planning on adding things like links to LCD for the novels which will prompt users to come to the site. Any suggestions are helpful though.

9. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye, i also saw that you atleast seem to link to the novel page instead of directly to the translator, so atleast it's not too bad, just care you don't suddenly make visiting NU obsolete. Like idk how much Tony pays out of own pocket and how much is sustained by ads, but i'd rather not NU suddenly closes due to being un-sustainable. It is a pretty good extension tho, not considering anything else.

10. Demonic Poring

Demonic Poring 『Well-Known Poring』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, it's pain in the ass. My tabs are auto refreshing every 5 minutes, so it's not that big of a deal

11. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    If you go to your profile, settings and turn on styles, you can turn on dark themes (I prefer crisp)

DiabolicGod likes this.
  12. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    oof. I feel so devastated now.
    For all this time, I was always thinking about how annoying it was that NU was white and not dark like NUF....
    well, should've bothered to take the time and look for the settings, but the novels didn't let me off

Bad Storm likes this.
  13. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    But NU does all of these things already? The only added factor seems to be real-time updates allowing to open pages directly, not having to go to NU? But that makes NU lose out visitor numbers and ad revenue? I have to add each novel manually? I have a Reading List of around 100! You'd have to write a scraper or something for the NU lists. If you want anything aside from the essential features, you'll have to go to NU anyway. The more you redirect to NU for its ad revenue or features, the less important the app becomes: it's an extra step in between. Opening the options tab seems a lesser version of opening an NU tab.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding some things here?

This all aside, good luck with it! Programming can be so fulfilling ... sometimes.

Good for you, enjoy your Opera, have a cookie :cookie:.
    Actually, Opera is Chromium-based. Chances are you can in fact use the extension, or that there's some sort of workaround. Personally, fuck Chromium, fuck all of its derivatives and fuck Google/Alphabet.

14. infinity

Reading List:
    Link
    I just did it more for the fun of it. :p
    I'll remove the direct links and point users to nu page directly so they don't lose ad revenue. I was planning on writing a scraper for the reading list, in the next version probably. So I'll make this into just a notification sort of thing, just in case people forget about their novels. :p

15. infinity

Reading List:
    Link
    UPDATE V1.1
    • Extension Ported to Firefox. (Link)
    • Auto Import Reading List. (Just open your reading list page and click on the import button which pops up)
    The feature has been added to the chrome version as well and it was updated. (here)

16. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry, this makes me giggle a bit because I must say, with no malice at all (and I genuinely don't care), NU's very existence causes translator sites (especially small ones) to lose out on visitor numbers and ad revenue because they check on NU for updates instead of on the translator blogs. Turnabout is fair play, isn't it? If the argument is that NU actually helps bring convenience/etc., which I agree with, this extension does the same, no? Heehee.

GDLiZy likes this.
  17. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't see it adding much convenience aside from notifications without opening NU itself. As I said before, there's massive overlap, with the caveat that NU has more features.

Doesn't NU give small translators more revenue? Without NU, people would not find their way to the smaller sites, so they would've had less visitors. NU provides visibility. I wouldn't have read much romance novels for example. I do not want to check 50 blogs for updates on all those novels; I'd never read them in the first place. And most of the NU links don't go to the translation directly, but to the blog post with a link. All in all, I'm not convinced. Not to mention copycat aggregator sites containing a wide array of stolen translations. That would be very convenient if there were no NU. They'd probably take even more of the pie than they do today.

Small blogs probably win visitors and as such revenue thanks to NU, but WW and QI probably lose out on it, become less of a central hub. The small translators would also be more inclined to join WW or QI if they could not get NU's visibility.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
  18. Bluejay13

Bluejay13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont know if anyone has mentioned it, but when you are on a novels page the bottom right corner says 'Subsribe' not 'Subscribe', also present in the example post. EDIT: Also, since updating to get the importing of the reading list, the subscribe to novel button disappeared.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  19. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, pre-NU era makes reading online a routine for us all. Open tens of tabs each day to see if anything had updated. :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

20. Deuiche

Deuiche Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well hell, everyday I open up to 50+ tabs and if this extension isn't help enough I honestly don't know what will. :hmm:

GDLiZy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.