Recommendations Novel with interesting cultivation and decently crafted female characters

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by DChewie, Aug 31, 2018.

1. DChewie

DChewie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone, I'm looking for some recommendarions for novels which have the two aspects mentioned in the title and I'd appreciate it if you have any input regarding the novels that I already have on my list, but haven't started yet.

To put things into perspective a bit, I am a big fan of IET, Ergen, Silkworm and "Madly Slow" Snail even if they all have their quirks and not all of them create ok females. The series that I have on my list by them and are not yet finished or up to date I plan on reading soon or when more chapters are stacked (especially Renegade Immortal) so novels similar to theirs would be great if there are any others.

The problem with the two specific things I mentioned in the title came to be because of Martial God Asura and Lord of All Realms. MGA was depressing to say the least and after almost 600 chapters I simply can't go on. The mc is a hoodlum, worse than any villain I've ever encountered in Asian novels, stupid beyond belief yet presented as intelligent with brain numbing writing around these situations, repetitive actions in following the same progression in all arcs so far, boring cultivation where he simply pops pills till the end of the novel (checked wikipedia and the impression I got from all his advancements is that he only progressess through external aid and various items not from comprehension and bettering of self) and women are simply treated like cattle waiting to be f'ed or raped, mostly by the MC himself. Now LoAR I like so far (passed chapter 100 yesterday) and cultivation is pretty ok for the beginning, but it's also starting to fall into a pattern I don't like and women, at least so far, are extremely shallow and have no meaningful argument for their existence. I know women are not that relevant in Chinese literature, but still, IET also isn't that good at creating female characters, but he's at least decent about it most of the time.

Sorry for the rant, but I wanted to give a better idea of what I'm looking for and what not.

Thanks for any recommendations or info you might have.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Sabruness likes this.
  2. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    The Inverted Dragon's Scale

Ze Tian Ji

History Strongest Senior Brother

3. Clyne

Clyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    war sovereign soaring the heaven

history strongest senior brother

invincible

4. Beowulf75

Beowulf75 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. pirateking36

pirateking36 [[-Worst King-]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ze Tian Ji takes a lot of determination to start. The first hundred chapters are.....

6. DChewie

DChewie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the recommendations, I'll check them out :).

I don't quit that fast if there are elements that make it interesting :). To be frank, I didn't really like any of the Desoleta Era characters, not even the mc at first, that however changed after book 10-11 and there were far more than 100 chapters till that point.

pirateking36 likes this.
  7. Arkantos

Arkantos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shen Yin Wang Zou? I liked the story enough and cultivation was decent. The characters are decent until a certain point where I just said fuck this shit. The female characters are ok

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You should probably give novels with female protagonists a shot.
    Especially those that are action focused
    It is pretty hard to sell a male protagonist as awesome when he is equal to the female characters.
    After all, in most novels, the females are just there to fill up the area or be members of a fan club.
    Best of luck to you

9. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Joy of Life and Nightfall have a few really good female characters, Haitang and Sangsang are great.

10. Novel-addict

Novel-addict Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Ak0w

Ak0w Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    @DChewie taking a look at your list, my first advice is:
    Dont even bother reading AST. The first 100 chapters are decent but then it rapidly goes down hill and the female characters seem to fall into the usual tropes.
    Martial World: I dont think there is much with the female characters at his first two wives apparently dont appear much, if at all, later in the novel.
    Great Demon King: Has a few similar elements to MGA but it is sooo, so much better. I would greatly recommend it.
    TMW: apparently, that falls into the same trope traps that most cultivating novels fall into regarding female characters.
    WMW and King of Gods, from my memory, dont seem to have that good of female characters either.

I would recommend Heavenly Jewel Change but Qidian locked away their completion of the translation and wuxiaworld seems extremely unlikely to finish their own translation. The ending was a little bit flat but overall, the novel is pretty good.

13. DChewie

DChewie Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wil check some novels with female protagonists and see what vibes they have, I just hope there's something decent to read, because when I first started Chinese novels around 2 years ago (with Coiling Dragon as most of the other recent readers :) ), I tried to look at some of them and they more or less gave the impression that they are all simply looking for a man to worship and protect (since man reigns supreme in China).

It's not "that bad" for women to just be there for the mc and an excuse to add a few paragraphs of "unseen, heavenly jade, milk like skin beauty" every few chapters, it's just my recent bad experience with MGA and LoAR that made me a bit unwilling to read something of such low morals and complete randomness. Even Emperor Domination has ok women, even if they're practically trophies that get added into the mc's harem, because the author tried to give them a bit of character and made them a pretty relevant part of each specific arc, thus giving them some depth.

MGA, however:
    woman 1: sweet, smart and loyal kingdom toppling beauty: forces mc to rape her (story done)
    woman 2: great beauty, with two proud mountains, etc, died impaled on the towering lance like object appearing from below the waist of a beast

LoAR: This is a woman, don't really know her, there really wasn't much about her said, but I dedicate my life to her because woman.

That's the kind of things I'm trying to avoid, since it just leaves a bad taste and makes reading further a chore.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wujigege likes this.
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha maybe try this tag: https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/power-couple/
    Also, try wuxia novels but they are very difficult to translate, so they are rare.
    Best of luck to you.
    Also, thanks to you I am going to watch On My General, I translated a chapter
    but there were too few readers.
    I appreciate you reminding me

Cheers!

15. pirateking36

pirateking36 [[-Worst King-]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Then read that.

16. Sabruness

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hilarious and i would recommend. You can find it subbed on youtube.

Wujigege likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, I was just waiting for subs and forgot about it.
    I really need to get into the subs game. I will contact viki and dramafever

18. Sabruness

Reading List:
    Link
    If you already dont have one, i can link you a channel with it and a few other dramas/comedies that are subbed.

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant I need to start creating subtitles eg forming a team on viki
    But sure link me