Discussion NovelBear Translation/NovelTom

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Airisu, Nov 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maevalily

maevalily Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? :( argh I usually just choose to have them not appear in the main novelupdates page but if it stops translators from translating great novels I’ve been reading then I’d be really sad

They’ve picked up quite a few of the novels I like :cry:

and I’m super new to this and a noob so I have no idea how to merge threads :blobjoy:

2. con

con Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry i'm just gonna complain a bit but they're So Bad. they first came out with a new chapter of a novel i'd really enjoyed and i gave it a read but like holy crap what a mess. i couldn't understand it at all. later that week the previous, actual translator (who hadn't dropped the series and updated regularly) posted the same chapter; it was so completely different than what novelbear did that i seriously thought i was reading a different novel. and by different i mean better. readable. actually coherent.
    it wouldn't bother me at all if they were only picking up long abandoned or untranslated works, but they're just taking everything that's popular without waiting or asking, and then butchering it for ad revenue and it's infuriating.
    rant over, thank you for making this post.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Lineren and Airisu like this.
  3. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    its edited mtl
    because I can tell :3

if they picked up novels you like, isn't it good for you?
    many fo their projects haven't been updated for months.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

So novelupdates has a 3 month rule for posting pick up requests and a rule about picking up a novel if there has not been two releases in 30 days unless a hiatus was announced.
    Though I think you should ask the current translator. Yeah your right I know someone who was stock up on chapters but stopped translating cause someone else picked it up. Not novel bear though another person.

AzureOrchid92 likes this.
  5. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    I was one of those loyal readers who still hasn’t read the poached version of NOZW. Still waiting for a good translation. (╥﹏╥)

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, many seem to be under the deluded impression that there are long lines of quality translators waiting to translate their novels.
    I have gotten attacked by using that as a premise, even though some of these novels havent been translated in 2 years or more :facepalm:

Kuro_0ni, Westeller, runsing and 2 others like this.
  7. Rabbitanairy

Rabbitanairy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At this point, there's really no difference between not having a chapter and having an edited MTL chapter passed off as "translation" that you can't even understand. You'll get about as much out of the chapter if you just purely MTLed the raws yourself.

Wujigege, Airisu and baka8roukanako like this.
  8. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    everyone has to start somewhere. all oldies starts as newbies.

a lot of people like to say "NU won't do anything". but i haven't seen any of them really suggest a proper, workable solution. people wants NU to filter MTL, but to what standard? to whose standard? even then, will they agree to that particular's standard? not to mention NU already has one. some people agree, some people don't.

"Readable". yeah, what an easy word to choose. if pure machine translation is not "readable" to some people (a lot of people, actually), then sites like lnmtl, comrademao would've rollover long time ago. very recently, even qidian started to have them.
    unknown.png

some of the time, the so-called 'bad translations' were not actually caused by MTL. instead they're caused by low english grasp of the person doing the 'translation work'. for example, if you're a japanese, of course you'd understand japanese more than the non-native. however, that does not mean you'd be able to express what you understand into a language that's foreign to you, even with help from uncle GT.

this is about number 1 zombie wife, yes?
    sure, you're releasing chapters regularly, but you've yet to gain Active Translator status for that novel at that time. even if you did, the Nastriumden would still be accepted, for they started with chapter 1. that's how the policy goes. that's how it always has.
    in the case with Novelbear, your group, as well Nastriumden, stopped releasing any chapter for n1zw for more than 2 whole months.

1 novel ~1.5 month of inactivity
    1 novel short 2 days from 2 months of inactivity
    1 novel short 5 days from 2 months of inactivity
    2 started from scratch (new novel)
    14 novels more than 2 months of inactivity

even with all this, some people are still petitioning for NU to reduce the 30 days wait. >.>
    https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/translations-updates.94992/

ICe, AMissingLinguist and LaDyViL like this.
  9. Amaruna Myu

Reading List:
    Link
    it has been tough on you :blob_patpat:
    although I think novelbear has decent grammar imo
    maybe even better than the novels on your site? hehe:aww:
    pst!
    which story did you read? because I perfectly understand most of superstar aspirations!
    it's either your english is so bad that you cant read simple edited machine translations, or your standard is too high!
    either case, I'm perfectly pleased with people being there to translate with average to slightly low quality, and I would like you not to complain too much in case they stop translating what I want to read!
    thank you:blobcat_knife:

by the way, if you think everyone can do mtl as well as rainbow turtle, boy, you're wrong:blobsmilehappyeyes:

10. Amaruna Myu

Reading List:
    Link
    I had that problem once lol. I was very sad... ;-;

IceLight303 likes this.
  11. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha :blobjoy:
    Maybe two years or a year ago but not anymore

12. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm still trying to convince them to continue. I got to read the chapters first. :blob_teary:

13. Rabbitanairy

Rabbitanairy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a headache to read and their MLT is barely edited. Unless you have been reading MTL for a well and get the hang on how google translates some words and how Chinese is structured, it's going to give you a headache. And those who aren't as proficient in English are going to have a harder time. Not to mention, not all novels are going to be as readable in MTL as SA. SA is honestly one of the easier ones.

I know not everyone is as good as Rainbow Turtle, but it's not like s/he is the only who can do MTL so well. There are plenty who put in the effort and time to change it to standard enough English. Not just edit a few sentence and say done.

maevalily likes this.
  14. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Aww man, I just checked out the translator in NU's page and saw 3-4 novels that I'm waiting to read in bulk in their project list. Darn, guess I need to read dem raws myself now...

Ai chan and Rabbitanairy like this.
  15. mechamecha

mechamecha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I kinda thought NU could just remove NovelBear from NU, so NovelBear can still translate and post on their website just the links won’t show up on NU
    People can still go to NovelBear’s website to read but for the people who wanna wait, the novels on NU aren’t shown as translated by NovelBear and can be picked up by a better quality translator

16. maevalily

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I’d rather wait for a better translator. I also don’t mind waiting for a long time for a better translation. I’d pick quality over quantity every time :cookie:
    It’s not like I expect everything I read to be perfect, if there are really no good translators willing to pick up a previously well translated novel I enjoyed reading, I usually just stop reading it. The presence of already translated chapters on novel updates by badly edited mtl sites might put off good translators from picking up certain good novels that used to be translated well.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Lineren and Airisu like this.
  17. Airisu

Airisu Where is my daily GL

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, there should be a line between MTLs, cause there are a lot that are well done (even if maybe the translation doesn't convey perfectly the original meaning of things, you can read it well and understand it), and the terrible mtls, the ones you may as well mtl by yourself on google translate and they would be already better.
    Honestly, I don't regard mtls as Novelbear's readable: they just make no sense at all. It's a bunch of words smashed in the page, with no subject, no sentence structure at all, nonsense cause you can't get what's happening at all. My read english is pretty good, but even like this reading stuff like that makes no sense for me.
    I don't care if they wanna release with that kind of "quality", but I would like if it was specified in some ways, cause people WILL drop novels they are translating cause groups like Novelbear exists. And it's not fair, cause while these MTL hoearders manage to even make money from their "smash on google tl" of already popular novels, the originals tls just have their work stolen.
    Even if for NU standards they aren't doing anything wrong, that doesn't mean it's right either. And honestly, a lot of tls go in hatius for a couple months, most are students and it happens that sometimes for 1/2 months they can't update… that doesn't mean they are inactive (unless they release 3 ch each year, but for the novels I'm talking about it's not the case).

18. maevalily

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m not talking about those that have been dropped for so long, just those that haven’t been updated for a month or two (especially if the translators have a habit of updating very sporadically). It’s true that waiting sometimes for 3 months for a couple of chapters feels long but I understand how difficult it is to translate. I’m fluent in Thai, English and French and it still takes a lot of time for me to translate, even though I usually work on short translations (not novels, I’m in advertising). Especially if it’s Thai to English or French. So I understand if it takes a while for the translators to post chapters, I mean they’re doing this on top of their work or studies.

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  19. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean? They played by the rule and did not break anything yet. You can't just hoard one novel by yourself just because you are slow. If they're doing it for the money, then they should be prepared to face some competition. If they're doing it as a little hobby, then they wouldn't care about it at all.

20. gnessa14

gnessa14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There should be a function on NU for people to report bad MTL/translation. If enough people click on the button to report it, someone can review it and if approved, all the chapters of the group for that novel will be removed and the group will be blacklisted for that particular novel.

lykizan, Japorea, auraizen and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.