Recommendations Novels like The Amber Sword

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by YuhiixDD, Feb 22, 2019.

1. YuhiixDD

YuhiixDD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can anyone please recommend a novel that is largely similar to The Amber Sword? I’ve already caught up with the translated chapters and am still thirsting for more. The translation pace is just too slow </3 . I tried reading the machine translation but damn, my head goes berserk with this kind of stuff. How I wished I knew chinese so I could just read the raws.

Anyways, the first time I read TAS’s synopsis I was like “Sigh, another cliche chinese MMORPG novel to read,” but I was wrong. I utterly fell in love with TAS! Brendel is just so cool and OP. A true living walkthrough. Sometimes things are out of his predictions and he is mentally panicking while staying calm on the outside is so funny. Dang, my hype for this novel hasn’t cool down yet so please guys, help the poor me and recommend some novels that is very similar to TAS.

I have a lot of things I like with TAS that I’m having a hard time how to express it myself. Please bear with me. I like the novel’s world itself and its history is very intriguing. The story’s lore just clicked with me. The plot is very well done and interesting. The battles are also very entertaining for me. I also like the power system of the novel consisting of a wide range of classes which is why I’m itching on how the future Brendel will become (Maybe some kind of cool class). The game element is also a bonus as I can see the improvements with Brendel’s strength, and the fact that he focuses on using and training with swords is one of the thing I love with TAS (Apologies, but a sword maniac here) the most. Add that to his different side-professions, especially the Planeswalker class which has a lot of potential with its vast array of cards, and Brendel is set on his path to dominance. I also like the politics in the novel along with the kingdom building element which reminds me of Suikoden. Getting his base, gathering allies from all walks of life, no matter the race.

Anyone out here who have read TAS? What are your thoughts? I would like to seek recommendations. Sorry if I’m a bit confusing. Wrote this after finishing the latest translated chapter and still having goosebumps from reading this novel. Thank you.

ElrhoX likes this.
  2. molecule

molecule Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to find similiar story since one of the reasons why TAS is good because of the translator himself.
    Anyway im gonna put this here so i got notif :d

3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Abyss Domination, Night Ranger, and maybe The Advent of the Archmage

Then there's probably plenty more untranslated ones
    I would agree that Wolfie for the most part improved/s TAS, but nothing OP mentioned had anything to do with that tbh.

p.s. @YuhiixDD Abyss Domination and Night Ranger are very similar to TAS. Though they're even more similar to each other than to TAS. In all three the MCs multiclass into martial and magical classes/professions, while primarily being martial. Though AD and NR's MCs are dualwielding Rogue/Ranger respectively instead of a Fighter like Brendel.

They tend to still mostly fight upfront, but they also do a lot more assassinations and stealthy sneak attacks.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    YuhiixDD and MaliMi like this.
  4. YuhiixDD

YuhiixDD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right. I heard from someone that Wolfie is adding some revisions to add more tension and drama to the story.

5. Ramsinkainan

Ramsinkainan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol same

YuhiixDD likes this.
  6. Frostypine

Frostypine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    There are some other novels where the MC used to be a player, then somehow arrives in a world being or similar to the world the game took place in, but not necessarily at the same time.
    How they go about the situation varies however.
    But Brendel's particular personality and the whole card system is rare

8. kuu0haku

kuu0haku [ ]

Reading List:
    Link
    I would suggest Vermilion since it just feels life-like in the descriptions but the only flaw is that the translation is very slow. The combat is superb, the potions are beyond excellent in function and many more aspects. It's almost a shame for it to be so slowly translated but, oh well, the story is top notch.

Musashi and YuhiixDD like this.
  9. Ace_online8888

Ace_online8888 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Second coming of avarice
    Night Ranger

These two are the most similar. Second coming of avarice uses a spear instead of a sword but I would say the writing surpasses Amber Sword (which is impressive when you consider Wolfie's revision/translation)

madness- and YuhiixDD like this.
  10. YuhiixDD

YuhiixDD Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess one of the things I like with TAS is that it feels like a well written JP novel but in fact a chinese novel. Combine it with a CN being action-packed and voila, a masterpiece. Some of the JP novels I've read bored the hell out of me, except Mushoku Tensei ofc. With my strict schedule nowadays its very hard to pick up a new book and start reading from the beginning but to do so after a long day of hard work is such a pleasurable and relaxing thing.

Anyways, thanks for the recommendations, guys. Will check them out later after work.

11. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    you should try to read some of KR novels in NU like The Novel's Extra and The Second Coming Of Avarice it's so good u maybe like it if u have same taste like me , well i love TAS too wolfie's translation does a good job but well i dont feel any difference when im completed the series at LNMTL

YuhiixDD likes this.
  12. hongzu

hongzu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Frostypine is right, in fact, 《Summoning the Holy Sword》is the same kind of novel as《The Amber Sword》is.
    西贝猫 (I don't know why the name was translated into Siberian Cat, 西贝 means something fake.) is a author and one of the readers of 《The Amber Sword》. But because the update of this book is too slow, so 西贝猫 began to write 《Summoning the Holy Sword》, and got a very high subscription(That's why this book has written more than five million words...).
    So if you like 《The Amber Sword》, I think you will like 《Summoning the Holy Sword》.

YuhiixDD likes this.
  13. madness-

madness- The Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Me when checking the tags :
    Rape ? Polygamy?? Incest???
    :blobfearful::sweating_profusely:

YuhiixDD likes this.
  14. KuroShiroe

KuroShiroe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    YuhiixDD likes this.
  15. hongzu

hongzu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah...
    西贝猫 is a very "evil" author, readers feel that he( Or she? ) is well suited to be an adult novelist( It's almost done. ) .
    In fact, the reading experience is very good, and the hero of《Summoning the Holy Sword》is already one of the most lawful good of all 西贝猫's novels.

YuhiixDD likes this.