Recommendations Novels like World of Cultvation

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by redstarnova, Oct 15, 2019.

1. redstarnova

redstarnova Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just finished World of Cultivation and I loved it. I wanna see more. More specifically things with:
    • Kingdom building that lasts the whole story, where the MC doesn't just leave after creating a sect or kingdom
    • Good worldbuilding
    • Strategy and plots
    • A 3-dimensional cast of characters that stay with the MC for a good majority of the story, (not a lone wolf the whole time)
    • A decent amount of comedy
    • And any other good things World of Cultivation has that I missed
    The more of this it has, the better.

lohwengk likes this.
  2. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nightfall has the majority of what you want

But the vibe is different I think. Anyway just try it, I myself recommended it as a quality webnovel~

3. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Reaper of the Martial World seems to fit most of those things, or at least it is implied that the MC will do those things in the future. The story's basically a fairly generic Cultivation Story, but where the things that annoy the author about generic Cultivation Stories are removed and replaced with a more consistent MC. For example, I remember the Author outright stating at one point that their MC doesn't do the sneaking-around pretending to be someone else thing that's so common because other stories MC always still annoy people, and get into the same amount of trouble they would have if they didn't hide their identity, before being discovered and having no real change happen in the story due to their sneaking annoys him when reading.

Alternatively, A Practical Guide to Evil seems like it fits all your listed requests. It has good worldbuilding, the MC builds and tries to have their kingdom become a safe place, strategy and plots are the foundation of the story, everyone's 3-dimensional and there's some comedy every now and again. The only thing is that it's a Sword & Sorcery World, and not a Cultivation World.

4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's see...

You can check out City of Sin. The MC of that is the head of an aristocratic family and spends much of his time leading an army that he establishes and grows. Subordinates that stick around forever and have tasks delegated to them. Politics, scheming, galore. Comedy is there, but it's less emphasized than you might desire. He controls a fair amount of territory that spans multiple planes. More or less exactly what you're looking for, and this'll be my primary recommendation here.

I stopped reading The Amber Sword a long time ago to let chapters stack and haven't gone back to it, but when I left off the MC was on his way to claim territory. I get the feeling he stuck with that for awhile? You can check it out.

Night Ranger is a somewhat similar story to TAS - if you like one you'll like the other - and has an MC that runs a territory, but the territory is perhaps not an incredibly major part of the story, or at least there isn't much time spent on it.

Sovereign of Judgement has an MC that leads a faction - more mobile army than anything else, really, and a lack of emphasis on the territory he does own. Still, there are companions he keeps close the whole way through, and he doesn't do everything alone. It's complete, and not terribly long by the usual standards. So you can binge through it!

Advent of the Archmage. Haven't read all of it, but it's complete, too. Where I left off, the territory had been somewhat extensively discussed, but it seemed more like a home base with most of the plot taking place elsewhere. There was still a fair amount dedicated to it, but I don't know if it's what you're looking for. I'm not saying it's not, though, because I haven't finished it yet.

Lord of the Mysteries is about a guy that forms his own cult. But he doesn't stick around in one place. The cult communicates... let's say "telepathically"... and operates from the shadows. So he doesn't have a territory of his own. You'll probably like it anyway, ofc, because it's one of the more highly rated novels around here. So that it's partially what you're looking for is just a bonus.

The Legendary Mechanic has a guy form a mercenary company. It's a neat twist on the usual, with the MC being reincarnated into a game world and players actually arriving like normal. He is and acts like an NPC, giving them quests and stuff, manipulating them into working for him. He does have territory... kind of... but he's more "roving band" type. Companions that stick around.

Legendary Moonlight Sculptor has his own kingdom. That novel is an absolute monstrosity to get into, though, being ridiculously long even by the standards here, and having had numerous translators of varying quality over the years. None of it is unreadable, ofc, but some may be notably worse than others, particularly if a poor translator follows after a good one. Bright side, it's at times absolutely hilarious, and therefore exactly what you're looking for.

Stop, Friendly Fire! has an army-leading MC, too. No territory, lots of comedy.

Experimental Log of the Crazy Lich ... May have territory. I actually don't know, because I could never keep up with it. Comedy is a huge emphasis. I think he went to claim his old homeland or something? I never got that far.

Leaving our beloved Novel Updates, you may like:

Catharsis -- Buy on amazon, free with prime.
    https://www.amazon.com/Awaken-Online-Catharsis-Travis-Bagwell-ebook/dp/B01J0E8Z8A
    This is about an MC that plays the role of villain in a VRMMO controlled by an AI that I would call an armchair psychiatrist. It's really good! MC has his own territory and there's a lot of emphasis on it. Great comedy.

Randidly Ghosthound over on RRL.
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/11209/the-legend-of-randidly-ghosthound
    This is a fairly straightforward system apocalypse. It's good, but not AMAZING. Hell of a lot of chapters, very long. Still ongoing. ... The MC does not have his own territory, per se, but is a very influential figure in multiple. Lots of great side characters that stick around.

Arcane Emperor over on RRL.
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/8463/the-arcane-emperor
    I'm not sure about this one, actually. In the later chapters, there's some discussion of founding a magic academy or something. I've paused to let it stack chapters and I'm just not sure if that ever pans out. The MC does lead a group of people and there are some great side characters in this, esp if you like those with highly objectionable morals.

5. redleaf97

redleaf97 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
  6. tattersail

tattersail Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Avalon of the Five Elements and Undefeated God of War are from the same author. Avalon is set in the same universe as WoC and was quite enjoyable although I have to warn you that the ending was rather abrupt and quite a few things were unresolved. The author apologized for this as he had some real life issues that prevented him from continuing the novel.For me the ride was worth it though.
    They both have the elements that you like. He has a couple of other works but I can't speak for them as I haven't read them.
    Apologies if the links don't work. I'm rather new at this. :)

7. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link