Discussion Novels - Patreon - Problems

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deleted member 11584, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Deleted member 11584

Deleted member 11584 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Edit 3:
    I'm quite sad I have to say. I just posted, out of my perspective, a problem about the system and it ended in that here ... Actually, I feel like I wanted to kill the kid of some people, because they reacted in that way. Maybe it's just that I'm used to more "rational" discussions.
    (I'm sorry if my thread / post sounded to some part emotionally -> I didn't write it in any way emotionally, I actually just did write down a personal perspective on this topic. I didn't want to attak someone, or something like that, I just wanted to make aware that this system seems in my eyes to some part not thought through ( at least I wouldn't use such a system, but maybe thats just my opinion.).

Thanks to everyone who just commented normally. ^^

And because it seems like, that the community has no problems with the system and seems to accept it, I would just say that the thread is closed with that.

BR. Stardoubter / Dreamanty

#closed

I have a question to this topic guys (The question is at the end.).

You see ... there are now quite some translators that try to get a regular income over Patreon. For now, with that I don't have any problems.

(I will take "OMA" who translates "WMW" as example, because "WMW" is right now the novel I'm most interested in.)

But now comes the problem. If you look at OMA's Patreon:

You can pay a certain amount of money, like 10$, for being ahead of the translation by 1 chapter (all the time).

Please think about it carefully! ...

You are paying 10$ for being ahead of translation by 1 chapter.

So, that means that, when the translation is at chapter 455, you will be 1 chapter ahead, so you will be able to read chapter 456.

Now you pay for 3 months straight 10$ (so 10$ x 3 = 30$), so you pay 30$.
    Now the Translation is at chapter 623 and you are 1 chapter ahead, so you are at chapter 624.

So, in the end you pay 1 month for getting 1 chapter ahead and the following months you pay for holding that position.
    So, you can pay 1 month, or 10 months but you will only get 1 time a reward out of it.

But here it doesn't stop.

If you pay now 120$, for 1 month, to be ahead of the translation (all the time) by 20 chapters and after that, 1 month, stop your payment, you will be behind by 20 chapters again.

This time you are not behind the public translation, by 20 chapters, but you are behind the Patreon translation, by 20 chapters. So, you will need to wait between 8-9 days only to be at the same position where you stopped reading.

Now my question:

Isn't that in the end paying for ... nothing?
    Also, I have to say, that I haven't looked into, how the "Patreon-System" of other translators' work, right now.
    (I will look into it, after I'm finished with this thread.)

It could also be that I misunderstood, how the system works.

If everyone had now, contrary to paying at Patreon (2169$), donated at Wuxiaworld for 57$=1 chapter, then everyone would be "ahead" by 38 chapters, "real" - chapters, which are accessible even after you stop paying. (That is better than the 20 chapters that you get as highest reward on Patreon, for 120$.)

Before I end this, I would like to note, that I'm not against the use of Patreon and against it, that translators get more payment for their work, but I would ask that a more thought through system will be used in future.

BR, StarDoutber /Dreamanty

EDIT:

Because it seems so many people can't actually see were my actually focal point in the complete topic lies I will mark it for everyone this time thick and fat! :

>>"but I would ask that a more thought through system will be used in future."<<

U'See it?

I've seen many people write about the whole topic "patreon - donations" and that it is voluntary, but that isn't even what was my focal point. Maybe they just oversaw it, because I had written so much as an explantion above and because my post wasn't read to the end.

And another thing ... it's so easy to change the system, that it actually works even better, so that everyone wins!

Just a simple example by me:

You can pay an amount over patreon - this amount is registered at wuxiaworld, or another website, when you log in at that website with patreon. (/or the donation system is used here.)
    -> Now that the website's database has registered, that a certain account has payed X$ it will give this account now:

A - points, with which the user, with that the account can buy a certain amount of chapters.

or

B - unlocks for the account a certain amount of chapters.

Now the chapters and the money is registered, so even after the account made his payment the website knows it and the user will be able to read the chapters in the same speed as before! -> No pause, or etc -> Just a clear X$ = X Chapters exchange!

For that you naturally would need to google a little bit around, so you can implement this system into your website, but I don't think it would need more than a few days (3-4) after the system works with:
    paypal + patreon ... ^^

EDIT 2:

I've seen 1. that it seems, that the patreon rewards seem to have changed"?!"
    and 2. that I don't seem to understand the system (actually I've made some failures in my explanation above - I'm aware of that now - doesn't change my focal point + even with the explanations of others it doesn't change my problem about the system!)
    (And another thing .... just because you get an early look every week - > which means, that you are ahed by 1 chapter every week (and at the end of the week not anymore) doesn't mean, that my explanation above is wrong?! xD <--- ALSO that is the reward for 1$ or something, NOT 10$ (patreon: "[You will be ahead of current translations by 1 chapter.] Choose $10 Access") .... ^^)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2017
  2. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    It does seem unreasonable when you say it like that but there is something that this is all voluntary and you just have to do it if you want to....

Also I think there are some other hidden benefits too(maybe) also maybe that one chapter may be just after a cliffhanger...makes all the difference....

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Limetrix, WeiFish, Inute and 6 others like this.
  3. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so what?

you want the old system when someone donates, its distributed for everyone to see without any privilage for the donators?

4. Elawn

Elawn 『Binge Reader』

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing that people don't seem to get is that no one is forcing you to pay anything.
    The patrons are fully aware of everything you've stated, y'know ?
    All in all, the main reason they donate is to support the translator and nothing more.

Shio, Black Frost, unkxz and 8 others like this.
  5. Indiboy

Indiboy Well Known boi

Reading List:
    Link
    Use of Patreon has its pros and cons

6. rei_hunter

rei_hunter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >_> wow. what a shitty way of doing translations.

7. Deleted member 11584

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, you are right with what you say.
    I looked at the complete topic in a business perspective, because even if it all is voluntary, with donations and now patreon, it gets more and more professional (all the more with Wuxialworld) and that means it also needs to get more professional in how it works for the "customer" and not only more professional in the way how the "seller" gets more money!

Linbe likes this.
  8. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    I get your point but I'm with @Linbe on this..
    You also forgot to mention major key points that argue against the statement you're making, firstly not everyone has the same level of patience as each other, I could go days without reading and of course I'd be bored as hell but that doesn't mean other people have the patience or tolerance to do the same. Secondly and most importantly is that not everyone's financial situation is the same, for example in a working student who has a shit ton of medical bills due to an accident a few months back but that doesn't mean all the readers are like me, the ones donating $120 a month are 'young masters' and so on and they're free to do what they want with their money, hey at least it's better than using it on hookers and crack, right...?
    Anyway I get your point but I wanted to point out some important aspects you neglected to mention..

9. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of, that you can read a chapter ahead of everyone is more of a Bonus rather than what you pay for. After all you normally pay total Support the translators.
    Then it's also like this:
    You pay every month for getting 1 chapter ahead of everyone so if you stop paying then you won't get that extra chapter everytime.
    --> Look at the positive side of supporting the translations

Edit: You also have to take into account that most translations that get some support like WMW Speed up their trqnslationspeed by quite a Bit.

Zerak likes this.
  10. Wytchlord

Wytchlord I like strawberries ~

Reading List:
    Link
    It's supposed to be a donation to the translator as thanks for his work.
    And to give back at least something he provides chapters ahead of the officially released ones so you are ahead of them. Always. That's all there is to it.

Black Frost and markostaras like this.
  11. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You arent paying for anything. You misunderstand the entire concept. You are donating.

Any bonus beyond that is just that, a bonus.

12. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    my mind fuzzy as i see math thing

13. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    When people are willing to pay real money,they should have thought about all of that. So,I think they are the best ones to answer.

runsing likes this.
  14. Deleted member 11584

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I know, like I said to @Linbe, I just look at the whole topic in a business-perspective, because that's it business.

And out of a sub-perspective it would be even more intelligent to donate as a student, because the more people donate the more chapters you will get! ^^

15. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Then you should've already worked out the target audience no? Every market regardless of product or service has their own target audience and so does patreon..

16. Avarrencus

Avarrencus 『Tier 0 : True Infinity』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you Translators, Editors and Patreon people.

17. Arten

Arten Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All in all or noting

18. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    at least you can leap at the cliff hanger

19. Nikko Anderson

Nikko Anderson The Second Apprentice of The Fourth Librarian

Reading List:
    Link
    Though I think get what the TS mean I also feel this comment is the best >.< sorry

20. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    It is called a subscription. That's how it works.
    And your calculation does not make sense.
    Your entire post does not make sense either.
    You don't understand what early access means.

DCLXVII likes this.