Recommendations Novels where Necromancy is considered amaturish

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Darius Drake, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Another of my "Does this Exist"/"How Common Is This" Request Threads.

This time I'm looking for something simple, but that I haven't ever actually heard of. Stories where the magical practicing Necromancy (specifically, animating corpses and bones) is looked down upon if you're an adult as it showcases your inability to do more powerful, complicated or precise animation magic. Disregard the extended aspects that are normally given to powerful Necromancers, such as spirit sight and communication, I'm limiting it to animating dead bodies.

As to why animating dead bodies &, more specifically, bones would be easier than animating wooden puppets? There can easily be a few reasons, but things like "magic remembers what was there, and so a simple spell can do 80% of the work for you, with only 10% of the effort and 10% loss" can be used as reasoning, with the last 10% that's lost having most of the important things you want for animation magic beyond pseudo laborers for carrying heavy weight... which Necromancy Constructs are too weak to do as well as proper laborer constructs like Golems.

There are other possible reasons, so long as it isn't "Necromancy is bad, waa waa waa!" or "Corpses are dirty" it's fine.

2. raza10

raza10 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TaffyGirl13 likes this.
  3. TaffyGirl13

TaffyGirl13 just a casual translator~

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Psosm

Psosm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Great Demon King
    I don't remember if necromancy is considered weak by everyone but it is definitely considered weak compared to other department in the academy, and is looked down upon? IIRC.

"He possessed the body a slave-errand boy at Babylon Academy of Magic and Force, named Bryan who had died when he was sixteen. He had been assigned to the weakest department within the Babylon Academy – necromancy at the age of 10."
    Got it from wikipedia

5. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You just remind me of my trauma with those sort of stories. I think Necromancy is hella dope but why the hell is everyone being an moron and not acknowledging that it is it’s own field of study! Nothing personal. There is one novel where Necromancy was associated with curses and the plausible reasoning was that it wasn’t getting enough tuition funding, though it’s a very small arc and the only one I can thing off the top of my head.
    “Inability to do more complex magic”... hmm... nothing comes to mind but I just wanted to drop that I like necromancy and it should be justified and emphasized more that 1) people don’t like dead smelly unintelligent things 2) there is a struggle in that field of magic. Wisps and ghosts are different from trying to reanimate something specifically for its muscle memory.
    Ff: Before people used to regularly visit graveyards. They were maintained to be fancy gardens, most likely family graveyards. And it’s a more recent, modern concept to bury a corpse, rather than returning to the ocean or scattering ashes in the wind, burying a corpse in a coffin was seen as being trapped after death so that they are unable to return to nature (or in other explanation, unable to return to the cycle of life). I forgot when but grave robbers was a thing since early established graves, I assume they robbed ancestral halls or family graveyards because only they would be wealthy enough to depart/gift their dead ones material wealth.