Recommendations Novels with female protag focused on power-building

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Selviata, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Selviata

Selviata Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    After being on this site for years, I have found that the number of strong female MCs who aren't blinded by romance remains a small minority amongst the many female protagonist novels. Can someone please recommend me a novel that isn't focused on romance? Some romance is fine but it shouldn't detract from the MC's true purpose (so preferably little to none). Think of the male MC novels focused on cultivation/magic academy/power building but now switch that with a female protagonist. Lastly, remove the gender blend tag: I would not like the MC to mentally be a male that was forcibly made to change their sex.

Ex. Reign of the Hunters, Stunning Edge (went a little downHill near the end but...), Kumo desu ga nani ka (spider woman!!!!), Apothesis of a Demon - A Monster Evolution Story (ka ka ka Environmental Protection~)..... it's summer and covid has kept me indoors (all I do is camp on NU).

Honestly, despite the specific conditions I listed above, if the plot is good and the characters are well developed/show growth over time I'll likely find it a good read.

Thank you for your suggestions!

2. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    ghostly doctor
    remarried empresss
    mc makes ml literally wait for 10 years before she agrees to his proposal, and she puts career first

check out my anime list signature btw, i have a category for strong fl, most of them have been adapted from manhua

Flyingfrogslash and Selviata like this.
  3. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Selviata

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for your suggestions! I liked Ghostly doctor (I think I dropped it at some point when the series just got so loooonnng). Remarried Empress is gr8 too, also on my reading list!

5. Selviata

Reading List:
    Link
  6. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
  7. TXHY

TXHY Normal Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Selviata likes this.
  8. Selviata

Reading List:
    Link
    uwu as in crying... which in retrospect isn't exactly the proper use for it I guess ://

9. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    beauty a fatal concubine
    a beautiful manhua

yeon hok leuk, i dunno if im spelling correct, both manhuas adapted from novels
    def check out my blogs i got a lotta strong fl stories

10. Zerozero00

Zerozero00 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you don't mind accumulating political / economic power, you can check the Villainess turns the hourglass. I've heard Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter is good, too.

Selviata likes this.
  11. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. Fair enough. Man, the MC in The Girl Who Bore the Flame Ring sure is a ray of sunshine in that darkass alley.

Sabruness likes this.
  12. Selviata

Reading List:
    Link
    I ended up MTLing this one too. It was p good and yeah romance is slow but steady.

13. Selviata

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read common sense yet but I'll check it out! I've read the hourglass one, the manhwa is being translated now ka ka ka~ :)

14. Katra1212

Katra1212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Empress’ Livestream--on going
    - very strong on plot development and MC's objective, romance takes a backseat here.
    - MC from the futuristic future transmigrated into a historical settings.
    MC disguised as a man. Most of MC's close aids tho knew of her gender. She's just using her gender to her advantage. Cause it was a male dominated era so men have more controlling power, but she doesn't really care if she got exposed. She's the tyrannical type of chara.

Princess Agent- completed.
    - the romance and plot moves along together. Gore/brutal polical intrigue, so beware.
    - Modern MC transmigrated into a brutal historical setting.
    MC started as a slave and later became a general.

Crossing to the Future, it’s Not Easy to Be a Man--on going
    - I'm sure you know this, but just adding just in case.
    - Comeradeship, battle focus and plot driven novel. MC is focused on getting stronger to retire and leave her male identity behind.

Metaworld Chronicles--on going
    - this one fits your requirements. This is a LitRpg progression. It is focused on the MC's power getting stronger as she grows older and meets new people on her adventure. No romance as of yet on the current chaps.
    - MC was transported/transmigrated into a the past of a parallel modern world like hers, but with a twist, one with Magic and monsters. Same place and people that she knew but one who possess magic, will the future that she knew be the same still tho?

Quick Transmigration Cannon Fodder’s Record of Counterattacks-- on going
    - no romance, world hopping novel, MC is focused on her task. This novel overthrow cliche plot holes and settings.
    - Lots of drama and face slapping, if that is your tea. MC is very cool and smart. (This is not the type of world hopping where the MC always dies or made the ML regret never treating MC better), no MC always make the her "target" regret (cause there is no ML) they met her at all. MC always try to live fulfilling life on her end.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Selviata likes this.
  15. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you. strong/OP FMC novels without romance can be a little hard to find sometimes. Here's my recs from various styles and feels:
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series...-god-holds-the-sword-of-darkness-in-her-arms/
    Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear - WN still being TL'd. LN version licensed, 2 volumes released.
    I Said Make My Abilities Average - WN still being TL'd. LN version licensed, 9 volumes released.
    Youjo Senki - LN Licensed, 7 volumes released
    I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level - LN Licensed, 7 volumes. Protag is OP but it's a lighthearted slow life sort of story.
    Slow Prison Life - strong FL, no romance. FL basically screws with her opponents minds by schemes and subordinates without having to physically do things herself.

Selviata likes this.
  16. Novel-addict

Novel-addict Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Azarinth Healer.
    Body and Soul.
    Diary of Erica Kron.
    Forge of Destiny.
    Forgotten.
    I Am Going To Die (In This Game-Like Dimension)
    Lament of the Fallen.
    Lily Ex Machina.
    Manowa.
    Orc Lord.
    Queen in the Mud.
    Siphon.
    Skyclad.
    Taint.
    To Play With Magic.
    Whisper of the Nightingale.
    Yuusha Yori Saikyouna Kuro Kishi.

Selviata likes this.
  17. mushy

mushy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lady Cultivator
    FL and ML are both rational and calm.
    They mainly focus on their cultivation and they both think that romance will only hinder it.
    I like how they both deny their feelings for each other because of their pride but it was written well without being annoying or dragging.
    I just love how slow paced everything is from romance, the weak to strong setting and the character building.

Under the Veil of the Night
    It's a school setting and it has a youthful vibe.
    This is interesting since FL and ML are more like dead set on their goals, isn't focused on romance (just somewhat fluffy) and the side characters are quite entertaining too.
    A lot of characters have secret identities, action scenes are pretty much amazing and the story unfolds in a subtle way.

Who cares about an isekai? Surely not me!
    FL enjoys pretending to be weak. She's manipulative, strong and indifferent to almost anything. Though she had that one flaw(her emotion is a bit unstable) which makes her so human.
    Well it would have been boring if she's perfect so her flaw kinda adds up to the dark vibe the novel portrays.
    And there's no romance tag so yeah its great.

Selviata likes this.
  18. Zerozero00

Zerozero00 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Common sense is also a manga currently being translated! The manga is quite good but yeah it's more about economic power than romance. :)

Selviata likes this.