Novels with genres that show up later?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by EnuoFH, May 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Should novels that introduce a new genre later on, not just some minor stuff but something like for example: A work that is fantasy setting up to 200 ch and the author start introducing space elements and even space exploration later on, should them have sci-fi as genre as well?

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  2. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it basically bait and switch if a novel changes so drastically that it stops being fantasy and becomes sci-fi

Edit:
    Fantasy can have fantasy-ish space exploration and it won't be sci-fi

Geor likes this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  4. aceclover95

aceclover95 『Starry Night Translator』『Ruler of Sloth』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...personally, as a translator, I add genres or tags when the chapter with the related element came up. So, as long as the chapter with the related elements hasn't been released, the tags or genre should be excluded.

5. MahotsukiKonran

MahotsukiKonran √¶∆℅¥×¶÷π√ ™°℅{^¢¡¿∆ \\£¥^√π¥℅¶∆÷√ ©¢¥®<®]¡¶∆¿

Reading List:
    Link
    It would depend on how they explore space if they are using mainly technology it would be sci-fi if the are using magic of magic tech it wouldn't necessarily be sci-fi.

6. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of a manga that at first looks like a standard school life genre and the only foreshadow is the existence of stay school club(Opposite of go home club) with members with tattered school uniform then it turns out ....well let say ..... there is a reason why for such a club.......

7. anotherAniket

anotherAniket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. Cause I don't wanna read 200 chapters of a novel only to get surprised by sudden genre shift which might not be of my liking.

8. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Example of that is Utawarerumono but adding sci fi could spoil some things.That is the caveat of it , it might be spoilers.

9. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say it depends on how much scifi is actually included in the novel. If it's a staple from chapter 200 and onward, then absolutely. If it's just a small arc or something and the novel remains primarily fantasy (e.g. cultivator visits a science world for a brief tour or some shit) then I'd say absolutely not. In that case, the novel is most definitely not scifi and shouldn't be tagged as such.

The "spoilers" side of things is irrelevant. All genres and tags are spoilers to some degree. You accept that when you pay attention to them and try to understand what each one means in terms of a given novel. Please note that you can hide tags on Novel Updates if you don't want to see them, and if you do want to see them you should expect them to be comprehensive.

Shio, runsing and AliceShiki like this.
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    A reminder that tags/genres are user managed for the most part. Mods only intervene against obvious trolling...

So uhn... If a novel feels like it should have sci-fi genre for readers, then it will have it.