Novelupdates, Qidian, Wuxiaworld, amateur writers and advertisement.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Aldnonymous, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    (This is just my takes on all these sites and stuff on the title, you may discuss it, freely criticize me for being a leech or whatever)

So here's a thing about this sites and other sites related to novel thingy, I read them all, all kind of genres, tags (I am that kind of guy), one thing I notice from Wuxiaworld is, their ads is the worst, they keep redirect you to some shady pages that will give you malignant tumor or some thing. Then the thing about Qidian came up, the first thing I notice is, my own feeling, I was actually happy because I don't have to go through some horrible-horrible ads anymore, but then I came reading some stuff about qidian in this site forum, is this actually that worrying? I mean, the traffic on Qidian are actually 10 times than Wuxiaworld, means they can get ads revenue 10 times more than Wuxiaworld, I don't know how much money they get, but I'm sure they can go for a long-long time for not being a pay-walled sites that need you to subs.

In the first place, the name is "webnovel", (most of those are free-untranslated one) originally a 'thing' that writer went past through before they get a proper publishing companies, this is how they get recognition, so, monetizing your 'kinda-wanting-to-get-recognition' is never-ever a smart thing to do, 'nipping it in the bud' probably a nicer way for saying it, most people that went to write novel on internet are 'un'-talented, they went through harsh time being criticized online for their bad writing, then they grow up to become at least to a decent level then got recognized then got published and release a book for it. I don't know the about the current trend but this was all in the past.

If Qidian trying to pay wall their content this would be the most stupidest thing they ever done to a young writers (i.e nipping it in the bud), but hey, despite I'm the guy who read everything I don't mind losing some free stuff that I usually taking for granted everyday. (At least the trend that some guy wanting to write novel and go for free to read on internet is still a thing in Japan and I can deal with that [Except the whole 'isekai' memes really need to stop now]).

Now on novelupdates, recently I keep redirected to some pages on googlepay for the ads when I read on mobile, what's up with that? It's not even a pop-up, I just open the page for 5 seconds and it's already no longer Novelupdates sites anymore, please do check on those ads, thank you.

(This is the overly simplified version of my rant, thank you for wasting your precious minutes reading my rant)

Bunbun3 and nielyti like this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    If you think about it, Qidian is not paywalling the works of upcoming writers. No. They are mostly all popular writers in chinese. If they were not so popular or accomplished, their works would ever even have been picked up by TL. These are pros, instead of 'just-for-fun' guys.
    Also, even inn the original site, i think the first few chapters are free to read, without a paywall. Unless it is an accomplished writer.

Tebix likes this.
  3. valdesaga

valdesaga [IDN] [7thMay] [V]aldes

Reading List:
    Link
    Just use adblock idi*t.

If you dont care about ww or any website. Just use adblock.

Just join 500 Troll Army ? Congrats for new job.

Without ads, you want pay them ? Wow you're really generous.

Adblock dude adblock ! Change your browser

4. Lithit

Lithit Desu~'s Little Griffin

Reading List:
    Link
    You're right, one bait can catch 20 fish 'at same time'
    Odd use of English there though...

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  5. Kagenesti

Kagenesti [Dao of Taming] [Dao of the Wild]

Reading List:
    Link
    Um I do use a single ad blocker but I have never gotten a redirect from WW for like a year. Most sites never want ads with redirects and when they are notified they stop those ads so... Yah this isn't really a serious concern imo.

Aiiee and Tebix like this.
  6. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian does Chinese webnovels, bro. You're thinking more of the way things work in Japan, aren'tcha? In China, webnovel authors write.. y'know.. webnovels.. and get paid for it. They don't write them 'to get recognition from a proper publishing company.'

Aiiee, Carm, DualModulus and 8 others like this.
  7. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...the main qidian site might have more views...but qidian international does not. As for ads...ever tried clearing your cache?

Aiiee, Carm, Wiger98 and 7 others like this.
  8. alexulala

alexulala Lost in Heaven

Reading List:
    Link
    Haters gonna hate:)

don't hate

Tebix likes this.
  9. bloomsburyhouse

bloomsburyhouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    malignant tumor pogchamp

10. Robinhood1

Robinhood1 *The Mood breaker*

Reading List:
    Link
    -.- :unsure:
    Let me sum up the impression I got from this post - you don't know crap ...

gauthamc, Carm, WeirdJourney and 3 others like this.
  11. MothEmperor07

MothEmperor07 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been using NU for more than a year now. NO ads for me bro. I don't use adblocker or anything. As for ads in WW the problem you said is there and I even used an adblocker for some days. But then I read its their major source of income so I now clear my cache everyday lol. Tedious but worth it. I dont hate QI or anything but your points are kinda non entities.
    Edit : Never read any novel on pc. Only on my android phone and a ridiculously cheap and useless one at that. That's what u get when u break your iPhone within a month.

Aiiee, josh_15 and Tebix like this.
  12. Crazyh3

Crazyh3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you give a source for this?

Looking at http://www.alexa.com/ and comparing world ranking (since I don't have premium), WuxiaWorld actually gets more page views than Qidian for both its Chinese and international sites.

Google mobile ads are probably the problem you are experiencing. These are littered with forceful redirect ads, NU and WW can't do anything about these because the problem is google ads and google can't really do much about them apart from take the down when people report them. (not accepting them in the 1st place isn't really an option because the pages will supply proper ads to begin with)

13. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can confirm qidian international doesn't get more traffic than ww. Webnovel.com(qidian international) gets about 45k page views a day. Wuxiaworld gets almost a million. They are quite far below.

And I won't be helping to change that until they start trying to back out of contracts.

14. Lawlyeth

Lawlyeth [Gorrila Warfare Expert]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm on tablet..

Found that qidian interface was hard to use
    There isn't even a next chapter/previous chapters button , you need to go to the toc, the url of the chapter is ugly and you can't manually use it to walk around
    There's ads on qidian too you know? Like 2 ads on the same page
    The interface is too internetmordern101 and look like the amazon m. website so when I'm on it I'm scared to missclick and buy something unwillingly.
    Well either way , the really bad thing is that qidian could easily(/will) make baseball with our wallets and we could do nothing against it (wakanim-like)
    (Well I'm hoping for some few dollars/months for all the novels on the website like what is almost already doing amazon)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    Fluffums and Tebix like this.
  15. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    any tl;dr? my head is spinning reading another tantrum between Qi,WW on nuf

16. Lisstr

Lisstr Fujoshi ☆ Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Never had any problems with adds on wuxiaworld and novelupdate.

josh_15 likes this.
  17. Crazyh3

Reading List:
    Link
    Try using a browser that has adblock, or go in and turn off javascript when you go on to sites that seem to be redirecting you. If you don't know how to turn off javascript, GOOGLE IT.

18. Lawlyeth

Lawlyeth [Gorrila Warfare Expert]

Reading List:
    Link
    There's like 4 videos launching in the same time about some sh*t in germany or redirect you through some dude that won some money in gambing or smthing
    My tablet is suffering and she tells me when I'm on wuxia/gravity.

Since the last update you need the chrome ad block browser, no thank you copy/pasting my 30 tabs(I'm on tablet okay)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  19. GloomUnderNight

GloomUnderNight "DOMO HAJIMEMASHITE. I am STRING CUTTER" ©

Reading List:
    Link
    Just exactly my thought while reading this post, lol

20. Crazyh3

Reading List:
    Link
    Turning off javascript on chrome won't require you to copy/paste 30+ tabs. You just turn off javascript, load webpage you don't want to have ads on, turn it back on. It takes under 10 seconds because you can really easily swap back and forth.
    [​IMG]^^You can also just type in the addresses of the webpages you don't want javascript to run on.