NU "Favorites" should be prioritized over random updates

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Astaroth, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    And/or there should be an option to only show the last update of a novel if they came out in a row. (Or honestly that should be a default feature)

So instead of seeing 10 updates from the same novel that take all this space and crowd out other novels, just show the last one, or maybe the first and last.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All too often I have to just keep going through the tabs, cause not even the novels I've favorited show up, honestly the usefulness of NU has declined a lot for a few reasons, and this is one of them. (The other being locked chapters.)

Now I don't know the technicalities and how easy/difficult it would be to change, but since it affects the usefulness of NU as a novel tracker I think it should definitely be fixed. @Tony

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
  2. riririn

riririn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wait dumb question but how do you make novels favorites??

3. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    It all can be fixed just by blocking chapters by webnovel

4. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, I thought NU only put up the last few of a novel when they were multiple updates of a novel?

5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Any novel added to one of your reading lists that has the "show updates" or whatever checkbox checked.
    Well considering I just took 4 screenshots filled with updates from only 5 or 6 novels (and that was just one page), I think you're probably wrong

6. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm lost, why don't you just check for updates on your reading list?

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    ah yeah mass release and bot being a bot~
    @Qidian do something about your en masse flood~

8. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    huh but mine just looks like this and I don't have a Favorites tab >.>
    upload_2020-12-22_1-5-53.png
    They put all of them but I think novels just don't usually have a ton of chapters posted at once so it's relatively rare to see something like what OP posted.

9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Have you seen my reading lists? Give it a shot, here's the link in case you don't know how to check someone's reading lists http://www.novelupdates.com/readlist/?uname=Astaroth

Unless you know some option that only displays the updates? If so please do let me know how to do it

Attached Files:

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  10. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    your reading list is not that special. most shit you have is at chapter 1 to begin with. so not that hard to syphon through it even on mobile.
    not to mention if you read something often it's easy to remember the name of the novel you're looking for

AMissingLinguist and riririn like this.
  11. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    If you click to the latest chapter you're reading it's really easy because it will show a book icon when you haven't read it.
    upload_2020-12-22_1-11-9.png
    Mine used to be very free of books because I stayed up-to-date and now I have a lot lol.

AMissingLinguist, Olives and Astaroth like this.
  12. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I see, though novels I'm not up to date with I'm either not reading or holding off to binge in one go. I'm only interested in knowing whether a novel was updated within the last 24 hours, not whether it has updates since I last read it.

I use NU home page to F5 for new updates on novels I read daily

p.s. also I edited the previous post to show how to add reading lists to favorites, but I tried to use attach file instead of uploading to imgur so didn't work out as well.

But anyway, it's an option in "global settings" when you're on your reading list page.
    There's like 5 novels I'm reading daily spread out over 3 different reading lists that are filled with lots of other novels I'm not actively reading.

At that point it's still easier and faster to just use NU home page to check through the last 24 hours of updates.

13. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what happens when a BL novel has a lot of updates. At first they show up then a short while later only the last few show up. Maybe someone has to report it? If you go to your reading list on the top there is a tab called list settings and global setting next to it. If you go to global settings there is a box that will highlight the ones you have on your reading list it also has the favorites option you are talking about on a drop down menu.

14. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    omg I never noticed that option!! Thank you so much!!!

As for the updates thing... Sorry, I don't really know what the solution for this is. I guess for me I refresh the home page/check my reading list often enough that I know when there has been another update so I haven't run into this problem before >.> I think for a temporary solution maybe you can just block Webnovel from your releases page? Oh but I did notice that you don't have "Highlight New Releases" enabled which is what makes it really easy for me to see new things that have been updated, since when I'm scrolling the different color makes it really obvious. If there are certain novels you don't want to have show up on the front page you can also enable that in list settings.

15. IceLight303

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of the novels on your reading list are the same as mine. :aww:

Also the feature they want already exists its under global list settings on top of the reading list page.

AMissingLinguist and riririn like this.
  16. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh... actually you might be kinda right? I just checked again, and now I can't find the updates at all. I kept going tab after tab and no update at all. I even used ctrl + f in case I just missed them, but nope.

Seems like they just straight up get removed from the update list after a while? Guess my original post might've been redundant.

Though it's weird because I've seen this happen before quite a few times (whole page being filled up), ones that come to mind is BL novels like you mentioned and CEO novels.

But from now on I'll try to just reload the page again and see if it fixes it

17. Olives

Olives [Former] Professional Basement Dweller

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair enough, though on the reading list you can make it filter by most recently updated too.
    [​IMG]
    Or you could just put the ones you really want to read on their own reading list. That would save a lot of effort.

18. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    I just woke up and as I'm reading this thread...
    This is precisely what I was gonna say:
    @Astaroth Another option would be to use Series Filtering since it'll show up to last 200 releases (altogether) for all of the novels you add there.

Sorry to disappoint, because you might not have noticed it yet, but favorites only brings your novels to the top of each page. It doesn't bring up all updates from that day.

Westeller and AMissingLinguist like this.
  19. riririn

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh thank you for letting me know but it's not really a concern for me, I just thought it was cool to have that function available to me if I decided I want to use it :)

20. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    You people still use bookmarks? Lol. I just read whatever I want and leave the tab open lol.