NU/NUF Frequently Asked Questions

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Tony, Apr 3, 2018.

1. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
  2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    English 'Titles' does not necessarily need to be true, 100% match the original raw title. This is nothing new. Animes, dramas, movies, or any official publication often does this as well. Hence why we made 'Associated Names' mandatory for creating novel page. it is first and foremost for the 'raw' title, as well as other titles associated with the series. though if it just a title conjured by putting the raw name into goggle translator, we don't need it. (i've seen people trying to add several version of the titles, when they're not actually in use anywhere)

However, you can still report those mistranslation or unrelated titles using the Report Problem button found on your NU profile page. Depending on situation or need, we might change them, or we might not. we'll go on it case-by-case basis.

Misspelling/typos, on the other hand, that we will act upon.

luoxinle and AliceShiki like this.
  3. Deleted member 282232

Deleted member 282232 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Or at times, people use it for Protagonist as well. @Aivree

4. menecio

menecio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi! I was wondering if there's a way to quickly update My Status on the Reading List instead of having to click a lot of times (for longer stories) the circled 1 button thing in the Latest Chapters pop-up that appears when you click the orange book, which only shows about 4 chapters at a time. I don't know if this is something that others have mentioned before, but clicking a lot of times in a row makes my tendonitis act up, so I noticed it instantly, hehe.

Sorry about the wall-o-text under the cut! :blobsweat_2: I just want to make sure my question is easy to understand since I'm aware it's probably something hyperspecific, small, and annoying.

Screenies of what I mean:

Pic #1
    [​IMG]

Pic #2
    [​IMG]

The story screenied above has 335 chapters so far. Imagine I've read about half of that amount already and didn't update My Status as I read. I have to click the orange book around 40 times + click the highest-numbered chapter the pop-up list shows each time (in Pic #2, it's chapter 5) + click Go Back on the browser to return to the Reading List when I get automatically redirected to the place where I can read that chapter. That's 120 clicks! It's kind of wasteful, so I was wondering if there's a way to quickly update My Status.

I don't mean the notes or tags. I'd have to open those every time I checked my latest read chapter. With My Status, I can check my progress at a glance, which is why I prefer it to the notes/tags! I also don't mean the circly double-arrow next to the Latest Chapters pop-up. That one marks all published chapters so far as 'read' in one go, but I'm looking to be able to quickly mark my latest read chapter, wherever it may be in the story.

If My Status exists, then I would like to be able to use it like this, quickly and comfortably. It could be by having a way to type in my latest read chapter in My Status or be able to scroll through the Latest Chapter pop-up until I find the chapter I want to select.

Does an option like what I've described exist? I haven't been able to find it, so I would love someone to point it out to me if it does! And if it doesn't, please consider adding it to the website (as long as it's not too troublesome, of course!).

5. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    Go to the novel's page and select there.

upload_2021-12-27_11-55-56.png

Make sure you have this setting selected:

upload_2021-12-27_11-58-23.png

menecio likes this.
  6. Amateur.artist

Amateur.artist Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can someone please help me? I want to post separate posts on forums but when I click 'post' it just adds to my previous post.

also wondering this sorta

7. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    it is an auto-merge feature for spam prevention. you'll have to wait for a while.

8. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    30 minutes to be precise

9. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I change my group's name?

10. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    meliori and AliceShiki like this.
  11. takame

takame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hi, is there a list of which emoticon / bullets that NU accepts? whenever I post a different colored heart in my description the emoticon disappears when i refresh

12. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    What's the difference between money and points? What are points for? What's the cool down period and how does it work? Is the like limit per day or total?

13. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    One is for the shop, the other for the lulz mostly / to show off. Points change your user title. Since you don[t have 100 posts, you can't set n custom one yet.
    There's 24h cooldown period and it applies to each like you give separately.

luoxinle likes this.
  14. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    How do you get points? What are the (automatic) user titles and how many points are they associated with?

15. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Ral confused Points with Posts, so his reply might have confused you a bit, let me clarify things.
    Points are obtained by getting Trophies.

If you go to your profile and click on the number right next to Trophy Points, you'll see all trophies you have obtained and from that menu you can also see what are all possible points you can obtain.

And points are just for bragging rights, they do nothing.

Money is obtained by posting on threads. You get 5nu£/post. 25nu£ for making a thread, and 25nu£ for making posts on the Novels Subforum. You can use this money on the shop to buy some things like icons next to your name.

Custom Title is that thingy below your name "Well known member" is the one you currently have. After you get 100 posts, you can head to your personal details and change it to whatever you want.

Like limit is per day. You have 135 likes to spend each day.

Each individual like is replenished 24h after you spend it. They are not replenished all at once.

I dunno what you are asking with "Cooldown period", can you clarify?

Blitz and luoxinle like this.
  16. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    probably the reply cooldown...can't post back to back without a slight cooldown.

luoxinle likes this.
  17. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks, that helps a lot.

Are there other automatic titles besides "Well known member"? Or is everyone "well known member" until you get to 100 posts.

Yes, that is what I meant. I think I saw somewhere that the reply cooldown is 30 minutes? Does that mean if I start a new thread, wait 30 minutes, and then post again, it will show up as separate posts? Like if I wanted to create a book group thread and then make a separate post to introduce myself as a member of the new book group.

18. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    30 mins? no it's like 30 secs or less.

19. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    If I post twice in a row, the second post joins the first post to create one longer post. It definitely isn't 30 seconds.

20. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    well alright then. looks like you figured it out. either way I'm pretty sure that's only a limit for new accounts to prevent spam bots.