NU should expand to manga

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by ninthlite, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    NyaaPantsu guys are making something called NyaaPantsu/Manga.
    /g/ is trying to work on something, but in classic 4chan fashion can't get their shit together.
    FoolsideDev, also the dev of Jaimini's Box's website, is trying to revamp Foolside and set up a hosting service for smaller groups.

I've seen Helvetica Scans allow a few other small groups host on their site for the interim, but I don't know if they're gonna allow after a new Bato.to goes up.

2. gggo

gggo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's funny how there had been a lot of geniuses who worked on code and tools to bypass Qidian's adwall yet nobody's stepping up to take responsibility for manga updates. They're like men who run away from their pregnant girlfriends and complain about it.

Wujigege likes this.
  3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a bit different because manga has copy pasted content.

While novels have the entirety of the original work redone by the translator, mangas only have the text redone, while the images remain the same, this makes the law harsher on manga translations.

On the other hand, novel translations of WNs on syosetu are legal if you got permission from the author... It's not as simple if there is a business involved like Qidian though.

Still, overall you are right in saying Novel Translations aren't legal either, but there is some room to discuss the legality of it according to what the translator did before they started or what is the original publisher and a few other things... Manga translation though? That's illegal.
    Well, MU already exists anyway, it's not like there is a need for a batoto substitute.

It would be nice, but it wouldn't really change much if there wasn't.

runsing, qzty, Blitz and 1 other person like this.
  4. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    No permission (from the right holder) means illegal, simple as that.

5. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I... Know?
    See? Right here, I said it just here.

You can also argue a non-profit translation from a non-profit work doesn't really matter much as you aren't getting in their way anyway, but... Eh? This just leads to the classical debate of "translating something with no intention of expanding to the west is okay or not", so let's not get into that matter.

The point is, manga translation is straight up illegal, while there is some room to discuss WN translations according to specifics of each case. (even if they are illegal more often than not) Which makes it a lot easier to host a site like NU than one like MU. (if they hadn't taken down links of course)

6. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    Manga can be independently published just as web novels are and you can get the authors permission, no difference from novels.

That being said it is an absolute rarity for this to happen in either context. Maybe your argument would hold sone weight if even 30% of translations had author permission but I highly doubt it.

7. nafiMn

nafiMn Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeing as batoto is going down and novelupdates is actually a pretty successful site (currently), it would be nice to have manga on here, always liked the formatting this site uses to display chapters more than batoto.

8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    www.mangaupdates.com

9. nafiMn

nafiMn Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I know of that site, it's helpful enough but honestly not a massive fan of the UI.

10. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not gonna happen due to legal problems involved and also @Welcome to NUF

11. nafiMn

nafiMn Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's understandable tbh, I understand that novels are a grey zone when it comes to copyright because they can be viewed as the interpretation of the group translating it, thus the author behind the novel has basically no jurisdiction over the translation.

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony already said original novels are going to be listed on NU one day as natural expansion of NU. However, he hasn't gotten around to doing that yet. Tony dear, please? With sugar on top, whipped cream all around and oreos on the side?

Not quite. As long as the translation is mostly based on the source material, the original owner of the copyright still has the right over the work. They can tell the translator to take it down and the law will be on their side. The translator's copyright does not trump the author's copyright.

The only thing they can't do, is to take the translator's work without the translator's permission and display it whether commercially or not.

Summary:
    1) Original author owns the copyright.
    2) Translators own the copyright of their translation.
    3) Original author can take down the translation.
    4) Original author can't use the translation without translator's permission.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2018
    TheNewGuy likes this.
  13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Batoto was an aggregator that respected the wishes of the translators, all those you mentioned do not do that, they just steal the content posted by the translators and put on their own site.

If you wish to support the translators, you shouldn't use them.

Blitz likes this.
  14. Fofofo

Fofofo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but those who actually cares about where the translations come from are a minority, I haven't read mangas in years, batoto was fairly new when i tapered off of them :p

15. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Help them do what exactly :blobwoah:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    LaDyViL, runsing and AliceShiki like this.
  16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    NU users in general are the people that support the translators... If we didn't, we would just read in a novel aggregator instead of using NU, less sites with bad ads to deal with, less clicking involved, less... Everything.

If the people here didn't bother with suppoting the translators, nobody would care one bit about Batoto's death, pretty much all aggregators have more content than batoto anyway.

17. Fofofo

Fofofo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Who knows, I just jumped into a thread I knew nothing about, I forgot batoto was different from "the rest", haven't read any manga in years :p

18. SleepyFox

SleepyFox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not enough! We must expand towards all fronts!

Manga, Anime, Movies and TV! Music! Knowledge! Top Secret Reports!
    We must have it all! Our site will then be known as...

Updates!

Stupid thread :/ Do you mean to kill Tony? Is that your plan?

19. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Just saying, mangadex is up. Made by same guy who made anidex and dokidoki fansubs

20. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Not to mention discussing piracy is supposedly "against NUF rules". Look at this thread. You'll even find mods.

I don't think I'm included in that "geniuses" because I'm certainly just a noob, but I still participated in the Qidian thing so I'll comment here. It was only out of boredom, not because I cared. I published the code because I don't want people bothering me to fix things when they break (also other reasons, but that's the main one).

I don't even like CN and would even prefer if Qidian took everything just so I don't have to be constantly adding CN to my block list. That's how much I care.

Whether MU/NU/Batoto/whatever survives or not, that's definitely not my problem.

gggo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.