NUF 2nd Anniversary Individual Debating Tournament

Discussion in 'Community Games' started by kyuukestu, Oct 8, 2017.

1. kyuukestu

kyuukestu 『Q』『Vampyre Imperatrix』

Reading List:
    Link
    In celebration of the NUF 2nd Anniversary. The finals for the NUF 2nd Anniversary Individual Debating Tournaments will begin!

The format for the debate can be seen below~
    1. Declaration of Teams & Topic
    2. Research Phase (3 Days)
    3. Presentation Phase (1 Day)
    4. Counter Argument & Defense Phase (2 Days)
    5. Judging Phase (2 Day)
    6. Questioning from non-participant players(Indefinite)

The judges for this round will be:

Our finalists are ~ @Koalala & @Fossil
    Please give a round of virtual applause~!! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Presentation.(25 Points)
    • Logical Aspect to each Point
    • Validity of each point
    • Ability to express each point
    • Creativity
    • Uniqueness
    • Organization
    • Cohesiveness

Counter Argument(From opposing Team). (10 Points)

• Logical Aspect
    • Ability to express counter argument
    • Validity of each counter argument

Defense(Against Counter Argument). (10 Points)

• Logical Aspect to each Point
    • Validity of each point
    • Ability to express Defensive statements

Total Forty-Five (45) Points.

Your topic for this round is:
    "Has the monetization of the translation market been good for the community?"

Yay Faction: @Koalala
    Nay Faction: @Fossil

You'll have a full (24) Twenty Four Hours to research and gather your thoughts before presenting.

The competition will officially begin on Sunday, October 8th at 12 pm GMT-5, and the Research phase will end on Monday, October 9th at 12 pm GMT-5.

A counter has been provided.

Any questions should be posted in the Feedback Thread.

May the best debater win~

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    amilhs, Ophious, Lonelycity and 3 others like this.
  2. kenkenkang

kenkenkang Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice topic haha

3. kyuukestu

Reading List:
    Link
    The Research phase has ended and the presentation phase will begin. Contestants have until Tuesday, Oct 10th, at 6 pm GMT -5 to post their findings in this thread~

A counter has been provided.

@Koalala
    @Fossil

4. Ko

Ko "The Corrupted Queen"

Reading List:
    Link
    Greetings Hosts and Judges.

"Has the monetization of the translation market been good for the community?"

For me it's a "yes" and I will give you my findings in a little while.

• More Materials To Read

Translators are more incentivized / motivated to translate with money, which in turn produces more reading material for the community. Every translators probably started translating for fun but because of high demands they had and their effort that they put in. It's only logical to get "something" at the end of the day. For example, before we have no idea when will the update come. Readers would rant about how their favourite novels is not getting an update. But thinking about it. "Who are we to rant?" We're not even paying them and they are not obligated to translate for us. But with money, donations, ads and etc. Translators can take this job as a full time/part time one and translate for you. They can even do it on a fixed date and and on a much faster speed. Isn't that a good thing? I've even seen one example where the chapters are all translated but you can't read it yet
      unless you unlock it. (You can unlock it a week later most of the time) At least that way, you know your favourite novel is not getting dropped or anything. All the materials are there, You just have to wait until you can unlock it

• You are helping your Favourite Novel and all the people behind it.
      Like I said earlier because Translators/Authors earned from it they are most likely to continue their translations or the novel itself. Because now, the more you give, as a patron, is the more the Patreons would work hard for you. Isn't that a good way to help each other? You're helping your favourite novel. The Author and translators are getting paid handsomely and as a reader you are rather contented to read and enjoy your favourite novel. So isn't that a good win win situation?
    • You are encouraging up and coming Novelists & Translators to take up this job.
      New novelists and translators would find it very appetizing to pursue this dream of theirs. Seeing as this dream is a good path. Because to be honest unless the Authors are part of some really famous series, they don't make much of it. But with pay per view / ads / donations. They will see the community in a new light and we will have more new stories and ideas. \o/
    • We can avoid copyrights and distress for the Author/Translators.
      It's all good that your favourite novel is getting an update but the translators that are doing them didn't even asked for a permission from the Author itself. They are taking all the benefits. What's more if they are accepting donations? We can avoid that by joining the Companies that provides protection for the Authors and translators. They would own the whole copyrights and they will also pay the Authors and Translators for what is their worth and also minimizing all Illegal translations.

Though of course if you question me about a Company like Qidian. Then I would have nothing to say nor would I even try to defend them. That's how real life works. It's just that .. It's such a shame that our community is being used for something like that.

That's all. Thank you.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Rae, abdera7man and Midnight Rain like this.
  5. kyuukestu

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, seeing as only Ko presented She is the Winner, by default...

Unless @Fossil wants to contest this?

6. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve been too busy IRL to come up with a suitable response.... Not to mention I was also planning on a yes, so I can’t really argue against my own side.