NUF's Programming Club

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by holyshin, Mar 2, 2017.

1. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    If anyone is willing to make the Android part, I can make an API for NU and some other things.

2. MeReadin

MeReadin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if we're going to make an app, then apart from an API shouldn't we also need to make an ios version.
    In any case I have experience in android and ios apps as well as NodeJS for API's if other people want to join in I can help.
    @holyshin do you know if can use any images or whatever from the site or that we need to design everything ourselves?

3. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just did a cursory glance over it, but it seems more like a NUF competitor, for lack of better words. As in, more like a novel repository than the translation-pipeline-tool-thingy that @holyshin mentioned.

It's python though. I like that. Though I'm not really a Django expert (I like Flask more).

4. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    Self-Hosted Free and Open Source Novel Aggregation, Editing and Publishing Platform.

NU is a Proprietary Novel Aggregation Service.

So yeah, it can also be used as a replacement for NU, but it's more like a self-hosted Baka-Tsuki.

And since it's also FOSS, you can add whatever you want to it, e.g. the "pipeline" you're talking about. The editing part is already built-in, so you would only need to change permission-related things.

5. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    Worth a shot then. And at least, by starting from an established codebase, we won't have to argue about what language and framework to use.

Anyone else in?

For a side note, if anyone wants to build a NUF app for mobile, just use something like Xamarin or Cordova and be done with it.

EDIT: Oh, and, if there's any translator lurking, can you tell us what kind of process you use to translate a novel from raw to being a published chapter? Tell us your tools too, and what do you use them for, specifically, in what part of the process are they used.

6. Arbiten

Arbiten ✯The Protagonist✯

Reading List:
    Link
    Going off topic xD I'm hosting an RPG game coding stream tonight in about 30 mins or so. I've taken input already from various NU members so I'll be coding the game live for everyone. I'll be using the ASP .NET framework coding in C#. Also featuring elements of HTML, CSS and SQL.

I'll be coding the login and registration page tonight and maybe the birthing system if I have time. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I won't be using a mic since I no longer have one, but I'll be monitoring the comments as I go along.

https://www.twitch.tv/arbitein

Lady Luck likes this.
  7. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    I missed the announcement :cry:

Do you have a recorded version of the stream? Preferably something downloadable?

Arbiten likes this.
  8. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll be streaming tonight starting near 18:00. I didn't record it because I accidentally revealed my partial password in the connection string -_- I thought I'd dragged it off screen, but a bit was still visible. I have a local copy of it, so I can edit it out and publish it online if you like.

I'll be coding the actual game tonight. Last night was just the login/registration and birth screen.

9. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    18:00, which timezone? Also, yes please, the recorded version would be useful because my internet is beyond bad.

10. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    GMT 18:00. I still have to sort out some issues with the session keys, but then I'll be dealing with how users inherit skills/status' from their parents and after that I'll be coding the actual game world.

11. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    GMT +18?? o_O

Does that timezone even exist?

12. MeReadin

MeReadin Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He means GMT+0 at 18:00

13. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    Woops thanks :)

14. Truerror

Reading List:
    Link
    VISUAL STUDIO 2017 IS OUT! WOOT!

No Python support though. They said it'd available in the first update, which is in a few months (because they couldn't make it by March 7th). But the preview is up, and it's pretty good.

udonsage likes this.
  15. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    Teach me, senpai? I'm always interested in raspi.

16. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    Been taking break from streaming for a bit. Meanwhile, I coded a small library for Novel Updates which you guys can play around with.

Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B14bp1CiMFJJbnRxSVVPZkFJN0E

Not sure if it will work for you since it uses other libraries, but I hope it does. It makes it a little easier for novice programmers to access some functions of NU.

It's a little rushed since I did it in 10 minutes on a break at work.

Tips:
    1) Add a reference to the NovelUpdates.dll.

2) Define it "using NovelUpdates;"

3) Pick a method

Look at uploaded images in case you're stuck. It shows example programs.

Methods:
    List<string> readingList = ReadingList("RSS_URL"); //Output split by '|' replace "RSS_URL" with your reading list RSS feed url

List<string> releaseList = ReleaseList(); //Pulls all new releases [Still in testing] since there's no RSS feed for latest releases. So I built a small scraper to scrape the table data from the homepage.

List<string> latestComments = LatestComments(); //Output split by '|'. Pulls latest comments from RSS feed. However the feed doesn't update that often.

Attached Files:

17. Arbiten

Reading List:
    Link
    Had to learn python for a web scraping job. So here's the python 3 version. It's not a library, but I'll post the code here.
    [​IMG]
    You need the BeautifulSoup & requests library to use it. This also scrapes all new releases.

Sorry for the double post O.O