Obedience in romance and BL.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CharLok, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There’s is One (not so obvious) recurring theme in romance and BL novels that I have been increasingly unable to stomach.

And that is having a quirky, curious, free spirited female or uke protag, being scolded by their husbands for doing their own things and leaving home then have to be “punished” or “trained” to be more obedient.

At first it seems kinda funny and cute, by honestly the more I read about stories like these and the older I get the more scared and put off I am at them.

Like.... wtf? Why do YOU get to decide whether your wife gets to leave or not? Why does your wife have to stay at home? Why does she/he needs to be good, why do they need to apologise for every little fight, every little lie, every little secret they have?

Isn’t that just scary?
    I used to think it was kinda cute, but I finally came to the realisation I was brainwashed by these “pet” novels, especially these novels that depict the uke or wife as a literal pet animal. Like I have no qualms about silly or cute or animal protagonists, but the way their husbands treat them as literal pets that cannot go out the house it’s just ????

Especially when some of these protags were ORIGINALLY living and surviving freely on their own, but the moment they set foot in ML’s house and ML takes a liking to them, it’s suddenly the most stupid the protagonist can do for trying to leave???

Bro, these guys originally lived on their own, they can leave for a while I feel they want to. Wtf

Honestly. I feel like not only me, but my fellow BL fans and romance Fans are getting brainwashed by these pet novels under the notion of “cuteness” when it’s actually creepy af.

And I needed to let off steam after reading about a certain jade rabbit,

I like cute and silly protagonists, but just cause they’re cute and silly doesn’t mean that they should be locked up and looked after like pets, it’s ridiculous.

2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    its a trope~
    human pet~
    specific target of audience so when you start feel it wrong time to move out~
    gone.png

CharLok and AliceShiki like this.
  3. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome back to narcissism reality.

The thing is that finding it funny or cute is quite f*cked up to begin with. Its just my opinion tho.

CharLok likes this.
  4. CharLok

Reading List:
    Link
    IKR, that’s why I said I was brainwashed, not to mention I was still a young teen back then.
    What’s even more f-up up, is that I find that it barely gets pointed out by anyone, like any of these pet novels I read, I see some really high ratings and barely anyone in the comments or reviews pointing out how f-ed up the situation is, An day I find that even scarier than the novel.

Harems novels? Tones of haters.
    Abusive yandere romance? Plenty of bad reviews.

Pet novels?
    Manipulative prince novels?
    Taken advantage of cute protags?

Nope, all under the damn radar and nobody ever talks about it.

5. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, i don't know whats wrong with some Chinese authors that like to overuse drug rape, abuse, ntr and obsessive jealosy as normal in a relationship and even twisting it as love.

CharLok likes this.
  6. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that it is pretty annoying to read stuff in which the female protagonist is subservient to the male lead.

The good part though, is that you don't need to read those things. Just drop them if you see this kind of thing, no need to read stuff with this kind of toxic relationship.

CharLok likes this.
  7. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats cuz it has a mostly female audience. Of course it will receive good ratings if the majority of the audience likes it to begin with.

You normally only read this type of stories if you actively search for them, use me as an example, I haven't read a single novel with the tropes you've mentioned despite having read thousands of all sorts of romances. Normal people simply don´t touch those types of stories even with a 10 meter long stick.

It is written by and for fans.

CharLok likes this.
  8. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Though, if you ignore these parts there are some novels that are pretty good.

CharLok likes this.
  9. CharLok

Reading List:
    Link
    ...... I just wanna say that I’m to an extent, a fan of BL novels with cute cuddly protags and protective semes, and I can easily find this kind of novel just from clicking around...
    Am I just abnormal? I feel like haven’t really read a normal romance in a long time and feel my brain deteriorating from the constant abuse I see in romance and BL. In fact, I feel like I somehow managed to find twisted wierd romances More than normal romances. I just want to read about some healthy relationships T_T

10. ExcitableFoci

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, my mistake. I talked for men. Men normally don´t touch these types of stories despite being able to appreciate good shoujos like Chu Wang Fei or Kachou wa Maid-sama. I, at least, don´t get a kick of seeing a man treating a love interest like a pet or straight up abusing her/him.

Ziavory, drollawake and CharLok like this.
  11. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have hit a key point here, its a demographic thing. Danmei novels are also targeted to female audience but aren't as plastic (though some are pretty toxic).
    It makes you wonder what young women really think its a healthy and loving relationship.

CharLok likes this.
  12. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As you grow up you realize some things you liked are actually hiding some pretty sick things.
    When i was a teenager i liked twilight, i thought it was pretty romantic and cute, now i can't help but cringe

Ziavory and CharLok like this.
  13. CharLok

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like the popularity of toxic abuse in BL is kinda like the the popularity of harem in stallion novels. Like there are harem in BL as well but definitely not as prevalent as 1v1 relationships.

I think it’s the ingrained notion of fulfilment of love we are ingrained. Woman are told being able to find a partner that can feed you well and gift things and protect you while putting up with your whims is important and it will give you fulfilment and most important, pride.

While men are told that being waited on, fucked many girls, be admired, is important for a man and such things give you pride.

Of course this is from a media perspective not an educational perspective, as such things aren’t as prevalent anymore.

lamb19 likes this.
  14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a near-infinite amount of novels that I'd love to read, and I'll most likely won't ever have enough time to go through... I don't mind skipping the ones that have some parts I hate.

15. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I always give them a chance. You don't know if its treasure or trash until you read it. Maybe you even learn something along the way as well.

16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have the time to give everything a chance. I cut almost everything that I have a decent chance of disliking right from the title and cover. Synopsis then cuts out the rest... Oh, and tags rarely also make me give up on something before I try.

17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, you grew up.
    Watch Korean dramas instead. I recommend Yong Pal.

It is for the same reason I have never read a single Romance Chinese novel on here in nearly 5 years since U discovered webnovels.

Similar reason I don't watch anime especially those set in high schools.
    When you are old enough to understand the implications and innuendos, it is no longer funny.
    It is disturbing.

Welcome to adulthood.

Cheers!

[​IMG]

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    I still think that trope is funny
    cuz I don't think too much about it
    sure sometime when the overbearing part become too much I still frown but that all~ when too boring simple drop it~ I learn drop many thinking process when start to venture to da world of young adult novel~ when wn goes to popular another drop on mind~ it not mean all story shallow it just most not require require such thing to enjoy da story~

different experience and knowledge may make me look different toward something
    on human pet trope sometime it da clash between control and free will? da overbearing want everything under control while da cute one screw you this lady can do whatever she want!
    the wish fulfillment kinda huge on that trope, being pampered happy go lucky or da sadist ehem dominance side~

such thing imo like soap opera, telenovela or another kind series pop on tv~ watch while gossiping it with friend about this and that~ yeah this cat grow up watch da mommy and friend gossiping such thing~
    anime, kdrama, entertainment gossip, politic or daily live meh it similar in my opinion
    adult or teen can make gossip about everything
    still cheap fast food kinda tasty and this cat like it
    popcorn raccoon.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.