Discussion Old games on Mobile?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Concernedcitizen, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Concernedcitizen

Concernedcitizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2000 - 2010 is the decade where MMORPG is a great hit to gamers to socialize locally and globally. These games are mostly made for PCs with requirements that, in comparison to today's technology, are very low. Some games that I am talking about are:
    Ragnarok
    RAN online
    Grand Chase
    Flyff
    Granado Espada
    MU
    Tantra
    Khan
    RF

I know some of these games have their mobile game counterparts now like RAN, Flyff, and Ragnarok. Ragnarok even made its classic PC system playable using mobile.

With today's powerful new phones, especially gaming phones like ASUS ROG, can these PC games be played on mobile with no lag and still carry 60 fps? I'm not talking about mobile counterparts, but like taking those PC requirements and play them on mobile. Making your Phone a PC.

Just curious nowadays with new gen consoles and new MMOs like Ashes of Creation with its very unique Node system.

Thanks for the reply.

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    There are certain differences between games, while many and lots of them can be played on phones there are also some that can't be played on phones, if you want the best experience of playing games then play on PC and not on phone

zebruism and Concernedcitizen like this.
  3. Kainord

Kainord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried my fav old rpg from diablo era, darkstone. Im gonna stay with the pc version. Control and visual is just so hard and bad. I wanted to play it when i travel.

4. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure about PC games but most of consoles emulate well on mobile.

Concernedcitizen likes this.
  5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    PC Games in general don't port over well to mobile due to lack of buttons in your phone. There is only so much you can do with your thumbs in a touch screen.

I mean, with enough of an UI change you can make the simpler ones work I suppose, though I can imagine that the screen will be really cluttered with buttons.

In any case, a decent chunk of those games are dead, so you'd need to make a private server and a mobile port as well... Doesn't seem feasible.

... But well, if you're talking purely about specs, I'm pretty sure your phone can run them all. The problems are a lot more related to logistics than specs.

6. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Screen size is going to be your biggest issue, though maybe moving upto a tablet would alleviate that for the most part. Still small and light enough to travel, but the screen is large enough to handle the clutter. Or just get one of those tablet cases that have an attached mouse and keyboard.

lohwengk and Concernedcitizen like this.
  7. Concernedcitizen

Reading List:
    Link
    That is certainly true. With the lack of buttons, macros and enough screens, PC games are difficult to port over mobile.

I also wanted to confirm regarding pc requirements. In terms of processors and GPU, mobile phones could run those games, right? As far as I know, even the latest MMO at 2010, they dont require i3 cores or overclocking GPUs.

8. Concernedcitizen

Reading List:
    Link
    I know phones cant beat PC with its capabilities, I just got curious how powerful todays mobile phones vs 2 dacades of PC games.

Specially one of the problem I see with current gen's games is the memory requirement. I know that progress of tech requires more GB of data to process those 4k resolution. Unreal engine 5 with its nanite virtual micropolygon carries very detailed cinematic gaming and to run that, it needs more data.

I also got interested how the new mobile game Genshin Impact beautifully run its game. It made me curious and comparing it with the old game

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  9. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I think 9/10 port are garbage on mobile and most android/ios games are trash to begin with. I have play 80% of the genre on andriod/ios and most of the games have the same problem monetization they want you to buy everything gold, more game time, weapons, boosts, xp, etc.

10. lehur

lehur ぼく愛エリス

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want only resolution, use stadia or arcade on ios

11. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Those games never required a big RAM or anything like it, they were made with the intent of letting people with budget computers being able to run them just fine... Something that some companies seem to have forgotten how to do these days... >.>

So yeah, mobile phones should run them very smoothly, budget computers of the old days are probably considerably worse specs-wise than modern phones.

Donutmindme and Concernedcitizen like this.
  12. XenoRaku

XenoRaku 「Punished Lolicon」「Ugly Bastard」「Haunted」「NEET」

Reading List:
    Link
    There are also Ragnarok Private servers on mobile

Concernedcitizen likes this.