on I/O redirection for personal use?

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Qt, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    On this clause:

7.2 You should be aware the data, content, and resources presented to you through such a third party application may be protected by intellectual property rights which are owned by the providers (or by other persons or companies on their behalf). You may not modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on these data, content, or resources (either in whole or in part) unless you have been specifically given permission to do so by the relevant owners.

Basically, I want to get the output of an application as input, do I need to ask the owner first? This comes up on Android SDK manager's license. Though, does the third party includes the developer/owner of other application?

2. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just do it. How will they know?
    Don't bow down to authority. Rebel.

3. Turbe

Turbe Novel Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Simple answer? If your using it personally , while could be illegal, no one will really go after you typically. To much effort to send a cease and desist letter. Also if you don't sell it not much worth for lost damages if they sue. Different story if you sell an end product with it incorporated in it.

If would always be nice to ask though. If it's a single user, not a company, as long as its personal most will agree usually.

udonsage likes this.
  4. Ged Merrilin

Ged Merrilin Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you selling or publicly publishing it? If you aren't, don't worry about it. Idk if you are.

5. Qt

Qt Qt is cute

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. Just searching for character recognition to use with my PC and wacom, and found some apps I want to try.

Chamber likes this.
  6. JarJarThinks

JarJarThinks Addicted to Monster Hunter Generations

Reading List:
    Link
    If its personal use it should be fine. creating apps which interface with another app's API for example is fine as long as you don't publish it and keep it to strictly personal use.

If you do publish, you'll have to go and check through the API's ToS and EULA. Worst case, you have to go through an application process with the API's dev.

7. Truerror

Truerror Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as it's for personal use, it should be fine. And, even if it's for commercial use, it might actually be fine. I mean, we've been "using the output of an application as input" multiple times in our life, and we might not even realize it. Think of it like using an Excel spreadsheet (which is the output of Excel) and using it to feed a script automating a business process somewhere.

If you're still in doubt, try checking the license of the application which output you'll use. If it mentions anywhere that the resulting product of the application belongs to you, then I think you're good.

Of course, I'm by no means a legal expert, so if you're still in doubt even after checking the application's license, try to get in touch with an actual expert. But in essence, If it's for personal use only, then like the others said, even if it's illegal, people wouldn't care.