Discussion One piece is great but I've fallen out of love I'm afraid-the Luffy problem.

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I could tolerate it's quirks before when I was younger, as a person and as a fiction consumer, now I know better and what can and is able to be done, has been done so I can't tolerate much more. I'll probably stop by when it finally ends till then I'm out. Shame too, it has a lot of good parts and is a big part of my anime childhood , still remember the first few episodes being released, pre time skip etc. It all boils down to these:

Luffy is too annoying it was obvious before but with more and more episodes it's getting increasingly annoying. He's way too immature, dumb, well insults will not run out and those insults are facts since plot armour is the only reason he is alive. (Oda mentioned he gave Luffy his ability since he wants even near endgame Luffy to still be goofy hence the rubber abilities so I imagine he'll never mature, his grandfather also doesn't make it better as reference material).

Luffy vs major enemy of this arc, each and every time he gets a do over, he loses first a few times, takes a few breathers and breaks in between those losses or even while losing and fighting. There's no weight to his victories as an individual vs another individual, he always gets help in some shape or form. If you make him fight the same person he beat soon after with no help he'll lose without plot armour.

His hero complex of saving people wherever he goes and getting in everyone's business, I get it's for the plot for each island but still, he makes friends and gets attached and basically treats them as (temporary) crew members each and every time. And he's already a terrible captain.

He sucks as an mc basically, it's not just him but most of the mcs have too much plot armour that allow dumb decisions and personalities without any backlash for their stupidity, naruto's talk no jutsu is one honestly I don't like blondey the other characters just like in one piece mostly non-team members /enemies are what make the show, the Akatsuki, the yonko, supernovas etc but unfortunately these people always get involved with the protagonist and are victims of their plot armour. Ichigo has his faults but he is the only protagonist from way back in the Big four era that I can still Stand where I'm able to watch the entire anime without skipping episodes, if I wanted to. (fairy tail no longer exists in my memory, it was taken out with the trash where it belongs)

It all basically boils down to the writer, I always told people I wouldn't finish AOT since I caught wind of some things the author said about planning to kill everyone off and his main goal for his anime, I'm already attached to the main cast so I'd rather not see their tragic ending aka not a happy ending. Oda seems to want to write this fun, journey adventure with a goal at the end basically a children's tale. So it won't ever get real serious for too long. Luffy will always be a joke and the story won't change to a more serious tone but like AOT it was obvious from day one, it was just easy to forget since they are really good in the way they tell their story. You get captured by the action sequences, characters, world building forgetting what exactly you should expect when really the authors have always shown you how things are going to go. For instance sasha's death in Aot was a wake up call to jump ship for me, that's the author saying no happy ending. One piece is going to be a happy ending but it's gotten too cartoonish for me to continue. It's like a cartoon in every way with it's selling points that don't affect the cartoon like nature. Don't get me wrong some of my favorite characters like Law, Shanks, Hancock and honestly a few more are from one piece but it's too silly to wait anxiously for updates on. They haven't changed over the years it's just my tastes have evolved. It's kind of sad I can't enjoy it anymore when I used to love it so much.

I guess it's just my style of reading, that's one thing that hasn't changed over the years although my taste has evolved to no idiot mcs, but whenever I watch or read anything, I always get attached to the main character since the story is based on and follows them so I'm usually on their side so them acting stupid gets to me.

2. ForeLeave Clover

ForeLeave Clover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you watched shounen anime while paying attention to the overuse of plot armor as well as all of the other faults that it has, of course you’ll stop enjoying it. If you can’t handle that, or find mild entertainment from it, you should definitely stop watching. But, if you can look past all of their faults, because honestly they all share similar problems, then you’ll eventually find why you enjoyed watching it in the first place.

Edit: Im not saying that your opinion has anything wrong in it. It’s just that you should give it a couple months before rewatching and/or continuing that anime.

3. b1w2c3

b1w2c3 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. feel about same. Author dragging out the arcs too much especially the new world Arcs. Can't tell if it because im older and losing interest faster or just because its too long. I do remember reading somewhere that one piece is 2/3 on its way or something

ongoingwhy likes this.
  4. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you expect in a shounen anime.
    Every one of them suffers with this.

Well DBZ was the worst one. If youve seen the arrow-like memes from years ago you'll know why DBZ is crap.

What I hated on one piece is that they introduce power up stages in Luffy's power. Like Gear 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Out of all of them the one keeping a good balance in skills are Ussop and Zoro.
    Sanji + Germa armor is crap. Nami and Robin are fan service material so dont carr about them and Chopper is basically Luffy material.

5. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lost interest after chapter 100 or episode 100. It was 100 something.

6. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp that sucks, I still enjoy it. The only issue I have is a fear of the ending not doing the story justice.

7. LevelTryHard

LevelTryHard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice free yourself from sh*tty shounen I believe in you! Shounen is cringe once you turn away you'll look back only occasionally

8. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oda made the Wano arc too complicated. Its been going on, what, three years now?

9. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    What’s One Piece again? :blob_coughblood::blob_coughblood:

10. gyan7

gyan7 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People will always grow up.

11. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, the dressroba arc went on longer, I believe

12. Alexcia

Alexcia Belle of Banter

Reading List:
    Link
    wait, why do I only see OP's haters here?

If you're only look into that kind of detail evaluations, then I'm afraid there ain't any animes you truly enjoy.
    Look, if it's too sad then you'd just say it's too sad. If it's too OP, you'll just say it doesn't make sense. If everyone die, you'll just curse the authors. But, then, do we only enjoy hanime (without any decriminalization here?). Because, now that we analyze every single anime we've seen, there are at least several 'lame/doesn't make sense parts' and if we just gonna sit down and analyze everything in detail like that. I'm afraid there's no way we could enjoy what we see.
    [I said this only because you complimented it as a great anime and yes I think so too, you won't believe how many chapters i've skipped just to get to this point now, so let us continue and try to forget those small details if possible or else you'll probably gonna stress yourself out when watching it.]

13. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Same, I haven't read One Piece since Whole Cake Island. I still love the setting of One Piece and the characters, but the pacing and Luffy just annoys me. I wish Akainu was the protagonist.