Discussion One thing I never understood about VRMMORPG novels.....

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Osamaru, May 16, 2018.

1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Until you remember that Twitch streaming and YouTube videos of actual irl mmos are really popular. There are also big competitions people watch for MMOs like LoL.. So apparently people do find that kind of thing entertaining. No.. readership isn’t the issue. Put bluntly, the authors of a lot of these novels just don’t have the ability to write a convincing setting for their story.

asriu and Osamaru like this.
  2. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think part of it is following a popular template as well. I.E. people write what works and what is shown to get readers.

3. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    Lots of games don't also have proper point distribution as in it auto spec's for you based on your class and your SOL to change it. or you can spec into specific categories such as skills that a paladin has or a warrior has so I usually find it to be silly

4. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe. It’s certainly true that novels a lot of people are very vocally critical of on the forums tend to “top the charts” so to speak. Even here on Novel Updates. Just look at the series ranking for popularity (based on reading lists) and activity (based on a lot of things). ... A lot of the novels near the very top of that list are also some of the most universally dissed novels on the forums. So obviously the authors are doing something right.

Osamaru likes this.
  5. Asuna1997

Asuna1997 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    we are talking about novels here~ would you still read it if i just watched a pro gaming video on youtube and wrote a novel on it??

i think it's these small changes that makes the novel fun to read. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

6. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the success of rebirth of the legendary guardian comes to mind, where dude literally ripped off wow for almost the entire story

7. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    you know this discussion remind me of "ready player one" which my brother says its a great movie. then I say its shit, but doesn't give a single reasons because I'm too lazy. and he said in a mocking tone asking "why you say shit about great movie when everyone says it's great, blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda .........etc" and keep telling me its a great movie. then I just walk away without saying anything. the whole premise of the movie was just to remind me of every vrmmorpg ever made and only included a lots(and when I says a lot its mean all of the movies is full of it) of western pop culture references. just to fill it up to attract every dumb guy like rick and Morty fans. even the story is sucks, the whole premise of the only great game is oasis make me think how lazy the hacker and corporations at that universe. also the easter egg on the race game is just to drive behind is only discovered by mc after 5 year? damn are they also don't have redit, myth buster, and that dumb person that got bored and doing dumb thing in video games?

8. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    I love that I just got two contradictory replies.

Anyway, the game’s mechanics do not have to be the focus of the story. Rather, they shouldn’t be. They are the setting, that’s all. The mechanics of the game are part of the environment in which the story takes place, and not the story itself. Because a lot of the authors around here don’t excel at writing actual stories, however, the mechanics are often front and center, when characters and plot should be. So it’s not that irl MMOs would not make an adequate setting for a story, it’s that these authors are incapable of writing a story in the first place.

Osamaru likes this.
  9. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    On the other hand, what designates a good plot and character? Writing as a whole is strange like that.

Westeller likes this.
  10. Grassroot

Grassroot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are in my era
    You must know Ragnarok Online
    How players mess up their skill points/skill tree
    Or how doomed their stat points
    And how rare it is some item and super expensive
    That old-school game, my precious teen memories
    Try playing it, and you will understand