Discussion Ongoing "Feud" between <HK Comic> and <CN Novel> readers about which is better?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SummerMascot, Jun 8, 2018.

?

<HK Comic> vs <CN Novel>, which is a better medium?

1. <HK Comic>

2. <CN Novel>

3. Both are okay

4. Both are bad

5. I don't care

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummerMascot

SummerMascot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Might be a classical case of "pot calling the kettle black" but some of their arguments listed as below.

Pro <HK Comic> readers:
    1. Art trumps words. A picture tells a thousand words. Show, don't tell.
    2. You can't describe fight scenes with words.
    3. CN web novels' storylines are copied from the early versions of HK Comics.
    Pro <CN Novel> readers:
    1. The earliest Wuxia novels were written in words. So true believers should stick to words.
    2. It's Bleach without words for fight scenes.
    3. HK Comics were never original in the first place because the first medium was a text novel.
    So which faction is more correct?

2. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I uh, don't know what an <HK Comic> is. An example would be nice because I might have read one without realizing it.

Oh wait, are you referring to Manhua?

3. Hevveh

Hevveh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    HK Comic means Hong Kong comic for people to lazy to search it up

4. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    who cares? noone important

Sabruness likes this.
  5. Avrnea

Avrnea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    neither since i want to read both versions~
    although i rarely read Chinese comics coz usually their art looks kinda rushed/crap and/or usually missing toooons of details compared to novel counterpart or sometimes even outright changing the stryline -.-

6. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    HK Comics art is incredible, yes, but after reading many xianxia something feels missing to me, the world setting is similar to xianxia, but the power level are similar to wuxia with a dose of magic, making it like low fantasy xianxia, for example, no gigantic size world/weapon/creature million miles wide :p

7. CyberCypher

CyberCypher Air Breather

Reading List:
    Link
    the medium doesn't matter only the content.
    That is why you have crap anime that is all fan service yet have anime that is eye opening and extremely emotional

8. AkunDami

AkunDami Neu membar

Reading List:
    Link
    Both argument 1 and 2 was sound like typical novel vs comic which is the same as comparing apple and orange.

Art of writing and drawing was different, you can't compare it like that.

9. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    No one cares honestly. China and Hong Kong are the same anyway. Both are communists.

10. AKIKAN

AKIKAN The Dicktator

Reading List:
    Link
    HK comics and CN novel (I presume mainland China)? Don't compare 2 different media without explaining anything!

The universe in most HK comics are wuxia with a bit of fantasy or sci-fi element in it, some are just as fantastical as xianxia or xuanhuan. While most CN novels and its comic adaptation are almost always xianxia or xuanhuan. The classic wuxia novels, comics and dramas we know and love (maybe) are usually the works or authors from Hong Kong or Taiwan, not from the mainland.

I found the art style in HK comics to be very distinct compared to mainland CN comics, which is basically shounen manga style. Most HK comics are very professional comparable to Japanese manga or American superhero comics (also in full color, but they release monochrome copies in Thailand due to high cost). CN comics are less consistent and can vary from trash-looking with inconsistent release rate to very high quality with consistent and fast release, all in full color because they're mostly web comics except for some in black-white or monochrome.

Generally, I prefer HK comics more than CN comics for their artwork, but most if not all HK comics aren't as varied in themes compared to its mainland counterpart (of course, 1B vs 10M potential talents, over 6.5M web novel authors, not-sure-how-many web novels available and any possible cliches being used already just so the novels could be a bit distinct from the rest), but the CN novels are also very repetitive if we only count the most popular (because let's face it, originality isn't the reason why we read the novels).

If I could have a hybrid, I'd choose CN comics adaped from novels that have art style from HK comics though. Seriously, I don't like it when many black hair characters and peerless beauties in CN novels have unnatural hair color and similar faces only identified by weird hair style and hair accessories like Japanese manga. At least their facial features are still distinguishable and not all characters look beautiful.

TamaSaga likes this.
  11. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    I pick read or watch whatever I like. Can't be bothered about what they are.

12. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    .... you must be the smart one in your school

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    comparing those two is like comparing anime and LN
    19656.png
    suite yourself which one you like