Discussion [OP-ED] Problems Concerning Donations

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by joeglens, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeglens

joeglens Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Original Article can be found at http://moonbunnycafe.com/op-ed-problem-concerning-donations/

Hello there, @NZPIEFACE here with this new editorial on MBC.
    (I sure as hell hope this thing is here, otherwise I’ve got some beef with @joeglens)

As my first post here, I think it’s an adequate time to explain what I’m writing: an editorial about my opinions on the translators and the work they’ve done. This unwelcome task to this site was asked of me by joeglens, so go complain to him if you find my work to be somewhat offensive, if at all. I’m not trying to trigger people here, but create laughter and a new perspective for you to see through on the works we all know and love.

So for my first work, I decided to choose a work that is rather obscure, but popular among its fans, Assassin Farmer. For those of you who have no idea what this series is, you can read it over on Fleeting Phoenix Translations. For those of you who are too bored and lazy to do that, basically, the story is about a seamstress and assassin who marry and become farmers. Go read it, it’s fluffy, and filled with vanilla and sugar, just like the Vanilla flavoured ice-cream from Haagen-Dazs you can’t afford. (Be wary though, it will cause readers to be morbidly obese and become diabetic.)

But I’m not here to talk about the work at all, as I haven’t read it at all, it’s not really to my taste. I’m here to talk about the translator. To give a short introduction about the translator, MissQ is a rather pleasant lady who translates as a hobby, like most of us, as she has no really other outstanding traits apart from the fact she owns a bell, let’s just call her Lunch Lady, or LL for short. I hold absolutely nothing against her, actually, I rather admire her translation speed despite not being able to read Chinese at all. (我宁肯信她这婊子读不了我写的句子,而且会用机器来翻译。) But the reason I’m making this editorial about her is because of the sheer amount of donations she gets, and the ratio it happens at.

For those unaware of LL’s release speed, it’s actually once per month. For those further unaware, the release speed that is documented on NU for Assassin Farmer is one chapter every 5 days (as of the time I wrote this draft). The reason for this large disparity of 6 times the speed is all because of sponsored chapters that she is forced to do by the readers. At one point in time, I felt rather sorry for her, as she didn’t have a cap for the amount of sponsored chapters a week, a poor little gal back then who was forced give out her stockpile.

But then, slowly, my eyes were opened to reality, and I saw the terror of money. Not only did it turn someone so innocent into a money craving monster, it also made them so much more… efficient. LL isn’t the only example of this, there are many more people who show this change, and others who exhibit symptoms of being overwhelmed in donations (just look at Chamber). As much as I support the act of giving donations to translators, the very fact that it can be counter-intuitive at some point makes me fear it ever so much.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NZPIEFACE is Chinese Novel and Manhua translator at https://shouldntbehereblog.wordpress.com/. Their work includes Forest of Funerals and the manhua After Transformation, Mine and Her Wild Fantasy.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it odd that when I get money for things I get more lazy and discouraged?

King0Mik, mir, Raneday and 2 others like this.
  4. Inute

Inute Daydreamer

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks for the post :)

5. Sethnix

Sethnix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this a "rant", that people do more stuff, when they get paid for it?

6. Goatse

Goatse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Money kills a lot of people, communities included.

7. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that an offer? How much are we talking about? If it's affordable, I might have a list for you.

King0Mik, saekicchi, Seraphic and 7 others like this.
  8. Dolfitos

Dolfitos 『Kingsize』 『Jason of N.U.F』

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Sircus likes this.
  9. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    dunno if you can earn from your hobby wasn't that a good motivation?

:ROFLMAO::cry:

readerz likes this.
  10. Goatse

Goatse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd have to speak to the people in question or some shady ass middlemen that are pretty bad company.

11. Diukes

Diukes The Details will be omitted

Reading List:
    Link
    Detonations?

12. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. MidnightCrystal

MidnightCrystal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Love your sarcasm there~! ( 人家也同意你说的话. 她翻译的小说好慢呀! 就算人家也是中国人,姐也想看一看英文版的小说是怎么样子的!)

14. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Leaves tony alone… i got some… erm … I got some educational plans for him :blobmelt:

Westeller likes this.
  15. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    everyone remembers what happened to PMG, no? burnout is insane.

16. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    "For those unaware of LL’s release speed, it’s actually once per month. For those further unaware, the release speed that is documented on NU for Assassin Farmer is one chapter every 5 days (as of the time I wrote this draft). The reason for this large disparity of 6 times the speed is all because of sponsored chapters that she is forced to do by the readers. At one point in time, I felt rather sorry for her, as she didn’t have a cap for the amount of sponsored chapters a week, a poor little gal back then who was forced give out her stockpile."
    Look at how Chamber + Koukousei + others was overworked in EER, plus the amount people donated for novels Is also One of the Main Reasons Qidian come over to the Community. Their talks about "Expanding the Community" mean that "Expanding people to Patron for their Website", just look at how they mass Releases chapter without caring for quality just to Attract more people.
    So yeah, the power of Money isn't something to be taken lightly.

17. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Not for me no... the moment I do something that is a hobby to make money, it starts feeling like a chore.

18. Goatse

Goatse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some people made so much money it turned into a day job, pretty sure nobody expected that.

19. Phantom Starlight

Phantom Starlight The Guiding Light

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, But I have the solution to this. Just give me your money then you won't have to worry about it anymore!

readerz, Westeller and WeirdJourney like this.
  20. Serendipity

Serendipity No one, nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like the article was cut in the middle or something, it ends rather abruptly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.