Discussion [OP-ED] Problems Concerning Donations

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by joeglens, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmm123

hmm123 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    U never heard about charities and curroption?

Welcome 2 the real world.

This too.

2. Tramsloof

Tramsloof Quarter Erudite

Reading List:
    Link
    Correct.

So then, should we stop Donating? Lets assess what that would do,

Without money, translators no matter how much they love the work, will have to get a job to live. That means more real life and less translation.

Now demand, i.e our demand wont be changing but the supply i.e translation would not be met. Say for eg we want 10 chapters a week but all we get now is 1 chapter a week. There is a market gap of 9chapters.

This is where Qidian or some other company with ...motives.... will come in give money to translators that we refused to give, then take double that amount from us(for at least 9chapters or most probably all 10chapters a week).

Giving money here would be oblogatory,that is if you still wish to read, while above you could feel good about yourself by giving it out of your own initative and supporting your favourite translators or novels or authors.

Good job helping us or the Translators!

Because for translators, now they work under some company and have to hand over all their rights including their rights to their own work/translation. They will also have to share the money in more portions, or be treated unfairly through other measures.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. abdera7man

abdera7man Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is something to be expected... Some people may even be jealous of them , As they wish they could get those donation and do more bonus chapters...(I heard some people even quited their everyday job cuz of donation..)

4. BabaNovac

BabaNovac FUYUKAI DESU Seraglio e youkoso SchrodingerPanties

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol let's donate more!

5. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting thread.. :blobpopcorn:

6. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is EXACTLY why I'm a semi-lurker :sweating_profusely:

7. Pizz0011

Pizz0011 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer donations over patreon, to me patreon has been the course of a good few problems like with Roxx and RTW when Roxx just stopped and disappeared without a word I know they were having some real rl problems so I can understand that but leaving no word as to what was going on ( sorry don't know it Roxx was male or female ) still have 12 pre-paid chapters left in the list ,

luckily vola stepped- up and did the 12 and I respect him a lot for doing that

but some of the TL's abuse the system like hell promising loads of extras and not doing them ..and/or making up loads of excuse etc for the delays, when you see like 20+ in a queue and they aren't pushing them out it starts to look like a bad joke, after taking the money and some of the amounts a month are insane before they started to hide the monthly payments , yes they may have a teams so i can understand that in part on some of the bigger releases the reason why they did a set amount, but some people are charging $80-100 a month for their top tier patreon request's,
    for me as I said at the start I'm happier given a one off donation every few weeks etc and split them between the Ln's I read
    as it gets to the point you end up paying 10x times the amount you would for a real book from a shop in the end

also with donation's they can always disable payment and regain control if it starts to get too much where I see patreon more as ac " job/freelancer " payment that should be on time if you taking the silly amounts I've noted in the past

8. J-Mitch

J-Mitch ⚖ Tipping the Scales of the World

Reading List:
    Link
    Now if only I could find novels that people go crazy for. I should ask MissQ for her secret.

9. PeaceSleep

PeaceSleep Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe putting restrictions on donations or translators creating a system that makes it more easy to protect the joy, the feelings that made you translate the novel, that will be rather hard cause money is what makes thing go round, i guess. No offense though, just trying to help i don't understand much behind the scenes anyway .Peace.

10. BloodAdept

BloodAdept Blood Sacrifice Practitioner

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember translator developing migraines from computer screens, yes.

11. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    So what's the problem?

Jaspaaar likes this.
  12. The One Supreme Lord of All

The One Supreme Lord of All 『Milk Tea Corps Leader』《Bishop of Church of Tony》

Reading List:
    Link
    Money is power therefore do anything for money? Any issues with this statement.

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... Yeah? Hobbies stop being hobbies when they start giving you a decent amount of money, they become work.

And well, work takes a reasonable amount of time and dedication... It happens to anyone if they want to devote more time to what they love I guess, they transform it into work.

I personally preferred things when translation was a hobby, but I don't blame anyone for making it into work.

14. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well another reason why I don't do donation chapter... If I do, then I will get swamped with genjitsu release, it's not like I can quit being a doctor and translate all day........
    After thinking about it, that doesnt sounds bad... I can use the donations to buy lots of LNs, but then I won't have any time to read them.........
    Like to keep it at hobby level, it's not like I desperately need to be rich....

Setra and AliceShiki like this.
  15. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I respect any TL since I don't have any capability as TL but they should be able to maintain some "moderation" if they don't want to burn out. Several way to do that:

1. Tell the reader the max chapter that you can deliver in one week/month, no matter how full the donation bar is. Supply and demand will balance out thing.

2. Define a cap in the donation chapter per per period. This is almost the same as above but the donation is disabled when #donation hit a certain amount and will be open in next period. This is a little difficult to do since it require some technical touch up.

3. Moderate it your self. I forgot which title that I read, but the TL know that he will be busy with RL and his scheduled TL, so he disabled the donation button.

4. Don't accept donation or don't promise chaper for donation.

For me this seems like (although not 100%) the goodhart's law

16. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    有钱能使鬼推磨。:hmm:

17. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ignoring how salty, mean spirited, and rude this post is. I'm more triggered by how badly its written. Whole thing is so out of focus and a headache to read.

doubledd likes this.
  18. Guan Zhong

Guan Zhong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty shitty to attack another translator in the community who's just minding her own business. Not surprised given who wrote and who posted it, but disappointing nonetheless. I guess it was supposed to be a joke? But it's a pretty lame one.

readerz, Sky Farrow and _Selutu_ like this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
  20. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, just put a cap on sponsored chapters per week, it really is just that simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.