Opinion on TDG wikia main page and organization

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by sithkazar, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithkazar

sithkazar Professional Screw Up

Reading List:
    Link
    Let me start off with saying that I'm not trying to push people into going to the wikia or anything underhanded. I have included a screenshot so that you can view the wikia home page without visiting it if you don't want to. Also, sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

Screenshot:
    home.jpg
    (you can open it in another window to view it larger)

In the past, I have found that I have a very "narrow-minded" view of the world and tend to miss obvious things because of it (can't see the forest for the trees type). I am not a very artistic person and am more the type to have detailed spreadsheets of information. It is also ingrained in my nature to dislike change, even to my own detriment. But I try to be aware of my own faults to somewhat lessen the times I make a spectacular fool of myself. So I am asking for input from others, whether you read Tales of Demons and Gods or not.

I started the wikia back when Thyaeria first started TDG mostly for my own benefit and everything I know about how wikis work I have self taught since then (I have rarely used them in the past). However, I never thought it would become as popular as it has. Despite that, it is still largely managed by myself (though lately I have had some help from a few editors). Just recently it was suggested to me to make the home page of the wikia more appealing and better organized. I agreed that it could use some work, but like I said, I hate change. So I have been making some small compromises to improve it. Obviously, the most important thing is that the page is set up in the easiest and most useful way.

For the last few days I have been working on it quite a bit and would like constructive feedback. Mostly ignoring what light novel the wikia is for, what is your opinion of the organization and set up of the home page? From the view of someone going to a wiki looking for information, would you find it convenient? Is there something you think would work better? Are you having problems viewing the page or having glitches (please tell me what type of platform/browser you are using)?

Please note that I have no say or control over the ads on wikia. I don't see the ads myself as I have them blocked on my user preferences and with Adblock..

Edit: All that and I forgot the link.... TDG Wikia Home Page

TLDR: Is my wikia ok?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    cisan21 and EienMugetsuTensho like this.
  2. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks good, very well organized and detailed information.

It has been confirmed that he is the founder and has reincarnated

3. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks pretty good, didnt know there was a prequel or that much stuff in TDG

4. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    I have not read the prequel so I don't know much about it. I don't think it involves any of the same characters its just set in the same universe (that's what I have been told).

5. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    This is actually one of the better wikis setups I have seen. Makes it easy to find exactly want you might want to know and has some information right in front of your face that you would otherwise normally miss.
    I would give it about an 8-9/10

6. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    I appreciate that. I have worked hard on it, but I spend a lot of time worrying and second guessing myself. Perhaps my lack of experience with other wikis has been a benefit rather then a hindrance. :)

7. Rreelentless

Rreelentless Captain Sheriff Admiral Colonel Major General

Reading List:
    Link
    it definetly looks good why don't you just say to the editor who wants to change it for him to do it with you as you arent confident enough with wikia to do it

8. Takumi168

Takumi168 『Forever Alone Guild』『Boredom sect』『Merchant』

Reading List:
    Link
    same as above nothing to change what kind of changes does the editors want?

the only change i could suggest is organizing the image page. but its fine if you dont

9. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    Good point, I need to revisit and update some of the pages. Thanks.

It looks like the initial impression is good. Thank you, I appreciate your input.

10. Sordahon

Sordahon 『One Person Virtue Is Another One Sin』

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks a lot it cleared my mind after reading it, now i understand all those truths about Nie Li world.

11. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, there has been some confusion. This is after I have been working on it and making changes. The original home page was lacking a bit. They were right about that. This is the final product.

12. Ixcez

Ixcez Intergalactic Xanthic Custom Error Zone

Reading List:
    Link
    Checked out the wiki and it looks fine.

Though I just have to say I really really dont understand how Ming Fei can be seen as Nie Li's master. I mean he gives his disciple nothing, he doesn't teach him anything, while his disciple gives him something OP helps Xiao Yu by both giving Xiao Yu resources and teaches him stuff which instead Ming Fei should be doing....

A bit off topic that part anyway since I dont feel like making an account for the wiki I'll just add the info that Ming Fei has a daughter which everyone knows about though we are never told her name. His "adopted son" however is unknown to the people living in the Nether Realm and it is more then 90% hinted/confirmed that Xiao Yu is actually his daughter :p.

13. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    it was really2 good and helpful, also easy to use. But I think the raw information is not needed. Because most people only read the translated chapters, for those want to read the raw they can just use the link at the index(on WW).

14. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    In that case I would say its more of just a title in name only. I think he has gotten more assistance from Xiao Yu, as he has guided Nie Li and Lu Piao around the Skysoul Institute and provided a place for them to live. In this case it is more like Nie Li is being helped by an older fellow disciple while Ming Fei is staying behind to protect the Nether World and Glory City. The fact that he was chosen as Ming Fei's student is why he was able to enter the institute also.

15. Ixcez

Ixcez Intergalactic Xanthic Custom Error Zone

Reading List:
    Link
    True however I cant agree on your last statement seeing as for one while it is true that Ming Fei and co (the other masters) the only thing they did or atleast in Ming Fei's case open the portal to the major world and the institute. Nie Li and co would have been able to enter anyways seeing as Nie Li knows how to get there since he made it there by himself in his earlier life so Ming Fei did bring him there. However all he did was send him to the entrance exam where they had to the test with all the people who applied.

In short Ming Fei = Taxi to insitute entrance where then the three "disciples" then has to get in by themselves.

16. sithkazar

Reading List:
    Link
    He provided a letter of introduction (Chapter 263) otherwise they would not have been allowed to take the test. The test wasn't for joining, only placing them in the different districts. Since they had the letter of introduction they were already accepted. I'm sure he could have found another way, but even in his flash-backs to his former life he was able to join by being taken in by a master. It also states that they only accept new students at the Skysoul Institute every ten years, so if he missed this opening it would have been harder. Though I do agree the Ming Fei was simply the easiest way for Nie Li to do something he would have found a way to do anyways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.